How to open a SR

From Immigration Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
US Home | Wiki Help | IV Home | All Countries |


Opening Service Request

Service Request is for those who are waiting for more than 90 days for check clearance or to report a problem.

How to open a Service Request (SR): Call 1-800-375-5283

  1. Press "1" to continue in English
  2. Press "2" to check the status of application or report a problem
  3. Press "1" to enter the receipt number
  4. Now enter your receipt number "LIN****" (you can find this number on your 485 receipt notice or FP notice)
  5. Automated system will repeat your receipt number, press 1 to accept
  6. Automated system will read you the status which is same as the one you see on the web
  7. Now press "3" to report a problem on your case

The system will now connect you to a customer service agent, tell them your case is outside processing time so you wanted to open a SR. Please keep all your receipt dates in handy – such as 485 received date, A number, RFE received date, RFE reply date, address and email Bold text USCIS Update: Case Status Inquiries with the Service Centers

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued instructions on making inquiries with the agency's four Service Centers. Customers, community-based organizations and liaison groups should follow this guidance when inquiring about case related issues. This new process standardizes customer service and streamlines processing of customer inquiries at USCIS Service Centers. The step-by-step instructions are as follows:

Step 1

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283. The NCSC can assist customers, community-based organizations and liaison groups with case related inquiries. Before calling the NCSC please have available your receipt number, alien registration number, type of application filed and date filed. During your call we recommend that you take note of the following information:

  1. The name and/or id number of the NCSC representative
  2. The date and time of the call
  3. Any service request referral number, if a service referral on a pending case is taken

Step 2

If more than 15 days have passed since you contacted the NCSC and the issue has not been resolved or explained you can email the proper USCIS Service Center to check the status of your case.

  • California Service Center:
  • Vermont Service Center:
  • Nebraska Service Center:
  • Texas Service Center:

Please note: Emails should be sent to the Service Center that has jurisdiction over your case. The receipt notice will indicate EAC for the Vermont Service Center, SRC for the Texas Service Center, LIN for the Nebraska Service Center, and WAC for the California Service Center.

When contacting the Service Centers by email you will need to provide the information outlined in Step 1. If the NCSC did not issue a service request after your call, please indicate the reason the NCSC representative did not issue the request.

Step 3

In the event you do not receive a response within 21 days of contacting the appropriate Service Center, you may email the USCIS Headquarters Office of Service Center Operations by email at: You will receive a response from this email address within ten days.

Copyright © 2005 - 2009