From Immigration Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
US Home | Wiki Help | IV Home | All Countries |

FORM I-130


Form I-130 is the form used by a person who wishes to immigrate to the United States with the help of Family member. This form is used to get the approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for an immigrant visa. The petition is filed either by a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident relative.

Who May File Form I-130?

  1. If you are a U.S.citizen you must file a separate Form I-130 for each eligible relative. You may file a Form I-130 for:
    1. Your husband or wife;
    2. Your unmarried child under age 21;
    3. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older;
    4. Your married son or daughter of any age;
    5. Your brother(s) or sister(s) (you must be age 21 or older);
    6. Your mother or father (you must be age 21 or older).

How do I file Form I-130

As the first step to immigrating to United States, the sponsoring relative files a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130. The petition is made with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) immigration Field Office in the United States that serves the area where you live.

Sometimes a U.S. citizen living abroad can also file an immigrant visa petition at an U.S. embassy or consulate or with the USCIS overseas, when the American citizen petitioner has been a resident there for the preceding 6 months and has host country permission to reside there.

Relevant Links

FORM I-130 Instruction: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130instr.pdf

Download Form I-130: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130.pdf

Copyright © 2005 - 2009 ImmigrationVoice.org.