Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of
Question Unfair Taxation

I have been pondering about this issue since quite some time and what better time to bring this up than Tax week !!

I believe IV has a very pragmatic approach towards bringing fairness to employment based immigration and expedite the process. The ground reality so far has been that there has been some wins along the way and its slowly gaining momentum (I hope) and is still far from being fair.

In the meantime there are thousands of individuals (families) who have worked in the USA for a number of years and contributed towards social security and medicare while waiting for GC. With the current situation of skilled immigration system a number of these families (are forced) go back to their home countries after spending a very long time of their careers in the USA (much more than 40 quarters required to be eligible for SS & Medicare benefits).

The individuals who go back to their home countries which do not have a totalization agreement with USA, stand too loose a significant support towards their retirement security. Not to mention that by that time the spouses of these (H1B) visa holders who were prevented from working for so long have almost become dependent on their earning spouses for their retirement life too.

I believe that the current system is very unfair to individuals and families who fall in the above category. As per my rough calculation an average skilled worker would end-up being taxed to the tune of $ 80,000 on a average (in 10 years) with no claim on the benefits.

I was hoping if IV can shed some light on what's their opinion about bringing fairness to these would-like-to-be immigrants who ended up to be non-immigrants due to the delays in the system. Where does this issue stand on IV's long list of agenda ?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of jsd123 has much to be proud of
Default Forbes article from trade tready perspective

Here is an article from forbes explaining the issue more clearly and approaching it from the trade treaty perspective...

The India, US Totalisation Agreement; Difficult To Argue Against Really - Forbes

As the article clearly mentions, this issue mainly affects immigrants from India (considering the EB3 priority date for China is Oct 2011) since India is the only major country with which USA does not have a totalization agreement and that has a decade long GC backlog. Note that getting a GC does not solve this issue. YOu are not eligible for receiving SS cheque overseas unless you are a citizen or there is a totalization agreement.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Default SS benfits

After contributing 10 yeas to SS, you will be eligible to get SS benefits even if you are left US . No agreements are needed. Please read old IV blogs on this subject Yes you will lose,if you leave US before 10 year contribution to SS. It is a donation. Medicare Taxes always donation for any one, if you are not planned to settle in US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd123 View Post
Here is an article from forbes explaining the issue more clearly and approaching it from the trade treaty perspective...

The India, US Totalisation Agreement; Difficult To Argue Against Really - Forbes

As the article clearly mentions, this issue mainly affects immigrants from India (considering the EB3 priority date for China is Oct 2011) since India is the only major country with which USA does not have a totalization agreement and that has a decade long GC backlog. Note that getting a GC does not solve this issue. YOu are not eligible for receiving SS cheque overseas unless you are a citizen or there is a totalization agreement.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please share any link? I am interested to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murthy View Post
After contributing 10 yeas to SS, you will be eligible to get SS benefits even if you are left US . No agreements are needed. Please read old IV blogs on this subject Yes you will lose,if you leave US before 10 year contribution to SS. It is a donation. Medicare Taxes always donation for any one, if you are not planned to settle in US.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default SSA Account

You can open an account with SSA at The United States Social Security Administration

Once you have an account it is easy to see if you are accumulated enough credits and what is your estimated ss or disability income.

I too would like to see a link that says that you are eligible irrespective of your citizenship and residency at the time of your eligibility.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default SS Benefits Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suva View Post
I found this thread...Thanks Murthy !!

Social Security benefits awareness - Immigration Voice

Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
International Programs - Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States - Country List 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suva View Post