Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options
Click to log in with Facebook
Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options Discussion related to transferring priority date of old green card file to a new file after 140 approval.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
curiousmind will become famous soon enough
Default 12 + 5 year masters for EB2

Is there any risk of applying for an EB2 using 5 year integrated MS from an accredited institute in India as US equivalent? I need to decide on using 5 Yr MS + less than 5 years exp from my existing employer Vs moving to a new and using BS and 5+ yr exp. At this point my current employer got an evaluation stating it is equivalent to US masters, would that be sufficient? Gurus please advise.

Thanks in advance
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stillhowlong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmind View Post
Is there any risk of applying for an EB2 using 5 year integrated MS from an accredited institute in India as US equivalent? I need to decide on using 5 Yr MS + less than 5 years exp from my existing employer Vs moving to a new and using BS and 5+ yr exp. At this point my current employer got an evaluation stating it is equivalent to US masters, would that be sufficient? Gurus please advise.

Thanks in advance
I would recommend you to treat your education as maximum bachelor degree, not the master degree. IN USA, the master degree is 16+2 years, so they will not consider your education as equal to US master degree.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhowlong View Post
I would recommend you to treat your education as maximum bachelor degree, not the master degree. IN USA, the master degree is 16+2 years, so they will not consider your education as equal to US master degree.
Thanks for the response. I do see some US universities offering integrated 5 year MS degrees, would they count? Does the education evaluation not sufficient?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I do see some US universities offering integrated 5 year MS degrees, would they count? Does the education evaluation not sufficient?
Even though few universities offer, USCIS may or may not consider as they might think in general like how many years of study it takes to complete master degree, which is 18 years. If you have 5 plus years of experience, then I would recommend don't take any chances with USCIS as they are very unpredictable. The safer bet would be to consider your education as equal to US bachelor and try it. This is my advise. I would always be better to consult a good immigration attorney like murthy law firm before taking any decision.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhowlong View Post
Even though few universities offer, USCIS may or may not consider as they might think in general like how many years of study it takes to complete master degree, which is 18 years. If you have 5 plus years of experience, then I would recommend don't take any chances with USCIS as they are very unpredictable. The safer bet would be to consider your education as equal to US bachelor and try it. This is my advise. I would always be better to consult a good immigration attorney like murthy law firm before taking any decision.
Thanks. I do have over 10 yrs of experience. I was debating myself, what my chances are going this route vs moving or getting some company to apply in parallel. I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. Thought I would have better shot with 5yr integrated MS from a reputable institute, USCIS does not care anyway I guess. I may have to pursue other alternatives like you said. Thanks again for your advise.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Thanks. I do have over 10 yrs of experience. I was debating myself, what my chances are going this route vs moving or getting some company to apply in parallel. I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. Thought I would have better shot with 5yr integrated MS from a reputable institute, USCIS does not care anyway I guess. I may have to pursue other alternatives like you said. Thanks again for your advise.
You are welcome. In the other forums that you are referring " I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. ", I am 100% sure those successful cases are the ones who equated their education as equal to US bachelor degree.