Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
as469 is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Passport Renewal

Hi all,
I apologize if this not the place to post this but am hoping that your experiences might help me. I am a student on F-1 visa. I lost my passport and I-94 on 12/05/2011. The passport had expired on 11/08/2011. Owing to this, I was unable to extend my I-20 which expired on 12/31/2011. I am working with my schools ISO to try and apply for re-instatement. I have spoken to immigration lawyers who give me a strong chance of re-instatement. But the Indian consulate (DC) requires proof of legal status for renewal of passport. I am within the 60 day grace period according to my ISO. Is there any way that I can obtain at least a short validity passport. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute
Question have you...

...tried to go to the consulate in person? Don't you have copies of your pp with the visa stamp? Was your visa valid beyond the pp expiration date or is that expired too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by as469 View Post
Hi all,
I apologize if this not the place to post this but am hoping that your experiences might help me. I am a student on F-1 visa. I lost my passport and I-94 on 12/05/2011. The passport had expired on 11/08/2011. Owing to this, I was unable to extend my I-20 which expired on 12/31/2011. I am working with my schools ISO to try and apply for re-instatement. I have spoken to immigration lawyers who give me a strong chance of re-instatement. But the Indian consulate (DC) requires proof of legal status for renewal of passport. I am within the 60 day grace period according to my ISO. Is there any way that I can obtain at least a short validity passport. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Indian passport renewal

Thanks for your response.
Quote:
...tried to go to the consulate in person?
Yes, I did go to the DC consulate asking for a temporary or short validity passport, but the lady at the counter said we don't offer temporary passports. However, Information on their website states that in certain cases, a short validity passport may be provided to students if they can produce a letter from the school proving this (I do have such a letter).
Information on the websites of other consulates states that if the visa has expired, a short validity passport (valid for 1 year) may be provided..

Quote:
Don't you have copies of your pp with the visa stamp?
I have copies of the passport and visa.

Quote:
Was your visa valid beyond the pp expiration date or is that expired too?
The Visa expired in 2008.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute
Question Do you have all these....

...documents mentioned here?

Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America - Issue of a Duplicate Passport In Lieu of Lost or Damaged Original Passport

If you do then there shouldn't be a problem! And if you don't, then ask them how you can get back to India so that you can get everything processed from there.

What exactly are you doing here in US on F1 visa - BS, MS, or PhD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by as469 View Post
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I did go to the DC consulate asking for a temporary or short validity passport, but the lady at the counter said we don't offer temporary passports. However, Information on their website states that in certain cases, a short validity passport may be provided to students if they can produce a letter from the school proving this (I do have such a letter).
Information on the websites of other consulates states that if the visa has expired, a short validity passport (valid for 1 year) may be provided..

I have copies of the passport and visa.

The Visa expired in 2008.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Indian passport renewal

I am getting my PhD. I am approximately 1 year away from completion. I have all the documents except for proof of legal status in the US (however, technically I am in legal status because I am in the 60 day grace period. I hope they accept that), and statement 4 in affidavit B which asks for an alien registration card and I have none. My Employment authorization expired with my I-20 on 12/31/2011.