Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough
Default atrocious visa charge by US consulate

US consulate in India revised the visa charge abruptly yesterday to 54 exchange rate.
Isnt this atrociuous?
The market rate is just 50.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rick_rajvanshi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_jungle View Post
US consulate in India revised the visa charge abruptly yesterday to 54 exchange rate.
Isnt this atrociuous?

This is just to avoid changing fees on daily basis. They always keep buffer when major corrections happen in the currency markets .Just imagine what will happen to applicants if they start charging fluctuating visa fees ( on daily basis ) as per currency fluctuations.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't think so.

Quote:
Isnt this atrociuous?
When the $ value came to Rs.39, did you say "Atrocious"?

When the took out the visa application fee, did you say "Atrocious"?

When things are changing daily, they can not change the process the same way. They have to settle down, so they concentrate on issuing visas not working on how much to charge on that day.

This is definitely not "Atrocious", becuase visa applicants atleast have an idea of what money they should pay. They should not hear from the VO saying "Well, gentlman, today right now at 11 AM, the rate is Rs.50.45, and you got a draft for Rs.50.22 which is yesterday's rate, please come again with the right amount. That will be surely "Atrocious".

Last edited by insbaby; 10-24-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post

When things are changing daily, they can not change the process the same way. They have to settle down, so they concentrate on issuing visas not working on how much to charge on that day.

This is definitely not "Atrocious", becuase visa applicants atleast have an idea of what money they should pay. They should not hear from the VO saying "Well, gentlman, today right now at 11 AM, the rate is Rs.50.45, and you got a draft for Rs.50.22 which is yesterday's rate, please come again with the right amount. That will be surely "Atrocious".

Wow!!! the atrocious usage of the word "Atrocious". I like the sound of the word "atrocious" although not the meaning. But good points mentioned...thanks.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough
Default counter shock

this is exactly what happened. without any warning, they changed the rate from 50 to 54 effective Oct 24. There was no warning even 1 day before the change. Somebody had gone with a HDFC draft on oct 24 to pay the visa fees but was shown the door as the rate had changed just that very day. this is great inconvenience for people coming from outside metros. Also, the HDFC banks where the fees are paid do not provide any draft facility themselves. there should be a warning of at least a week, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post

Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of
Default Agree on inconvenience part

I agree on inconvenience part. Rs 54 charge is not a big deal to anybody who is applying for US Visa. No body should cry about that.

Quote:
this is exactly what happened. without any warning, they changed the rate from 50 to 54 effective Oct 24. There was no warning even 1 day before the change. Somebody had gone with a HDFC draft on oct 24 to pay the visa fees but was shown the door as the rate had changed just that very day. this is great inconvenience for people coming from outside metros. Also, the HDFC banks where the fees are paid do not provide any draft facility themselves. there should be a warning of at least a week, I believe.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mmm. It is indeed.

Quote:
Well, then it is "Atrocious"