Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Focusing On H.r.5921

This posting has been created to brainstorm the idea of just focusing on the bill H.R.5921, instead of fighting for all 3 bills H.R.5882, H.R.5921 and H.R.6039 at the same time. I think, now our fight is against time as well as all forces against these bills. The number of days remaining for this congress is very few and sometimes pushing for all three bills together will not bear any fruit at all.

Out of the three bills, H.R.5921 has more potential to resist any opposition from the wider anti-immigrant forces and other critics. This bill wonít add a single more visa number to the existing available quota and so, the status-quo will be maintained for the relief of all those forces against these bills.

In the case of H.R.5882 and H.R.6039, the situation is different. These bills will add numbers over the existing available quota. H.R.6039 has the least potential to move forward, even though it has more bi-partisan support (Donít count on the wide support and the count of representatives behind this; this extra support is due to the push from the wider University Lobby). 6039 has no cap/lid proposed and that itself will kill the bill and all other bills going with it. So, we should not bundle other 2 bills with this. If we do that, all 3 bills could be dropped and finally end up getting added to the future-comprehensive-immigration reform! Who knows when it will happen? Likewise, if the possibilities for these bills to pass are very less in this congress, we should ignore H.R 5882 as well (reason is: this will add 220K visas to the existing quota and resistance to this bill would be higher) and just focus all our energy on H.R.5921.

H.R.5921 goes completely with the founding principles of this country such as Equality of opportunity, Non-discrimination etc. The Employment based immigration category has not been created for diversity purpose and if someone claims that diversity is important, they are claiming it just for their own good and preferential treatment for them. Actually, at present this category provides preferential treatment to few at the cost of a larger section of equally skilled applicants. For those who argue for diversity, there is a category of permanent-visa available just for that purpose Ė The Diversity Visa Lottery. If we can focus all our energy behind this bill H.R.5921, it is fairly possible to get it passed before the end of this congress. This bill will provide equality for all and make the system more just: A first in first out (FIFO) system! Once this gets passed all other problems can be solved sooner than we expect, as the entire EB based applicants will unite rather than stay divided as we are now (read retrogressed and non-retrogressed).

Today (07/10/2008), the immigration sub committee of House is marking up some private immigration bills and from that what I understand is: this congress is not yet dead. We still have a chance to get something out of it.

Just for your thought, and for the consideration of the CORE.

Last edited by realizeit; 07-10-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Changing the title.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
bskrishna has a spectacular aura about bskrishna has a spectacular aura about bskrishna has a spectacular aura about
Default not dead

I feel H.R.5882 or H.R.5921 will be attached to some other vehicle to move forward in the house. we should not loose hope...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2003
Compare
trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of
Default So what to do to focus on one Bill

Is there any update from IV core? Any new action item that we should be working on to get some relief this year?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/20/2005
Chargeability
:
Ireland
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/20/2005
Compare
tawlibann will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizeit View Post
Once this gets passed all other problems can be solved sooner than we expect, as the entire EB based applicants will unite rather than stay divided as we are now (read retrogressed and non-retrogressed).
I'm sure this will fly really well with all the people from ROW whom this bill will screw over. Once they're screwed, you're bound to feel the love and unification that is going to ensue. And don't even get me started on how this is the most popular bill with the highest number of co-sponsors.

Seriously, get real! This bill didn't even stand a bleedin' chicken's chance. It was just added so that Lofgren can score some political points with her electorate (mostly Asian voters in her district in California). The one bill that had most support is 6039 (look at the number of co-sponsors, etc.) If anyone should work on anything, it's 6039. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time, making a laughing stock out of IV, and further propagating the wide-spread belief that IV has lost touch with reality. (Seriously, how are you even going to argue for 5921 when the majority of EB-2 visas go to India with the new interpretation. I'm sure congress will want to spend time to help all EB-3-I suckers who <gasp> are not any different or more highly skilled than the rest of EB-3, and who weren't even creative enough like their EB-2-I brethren to work out a job description to get into EB-2.)

Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do?

This is the answer to What to do?

We should campaign for & lobby for this easy, non-controversial bill HR.5921.

First we have to force the House Immig Sub Committee and then Judiciary Full Committee to complete the Mark up of this Bill, which will make the bill to be debated on the floor of the house.

Second: After the mark up is over, we need to campaign for proper support in the house to get this passed.

Before all these: We need to know what the IV CORE has to say & What are the future plans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueguy View Post
Is there any update from IV core? Any new action item that we should be working on to get some relief this year?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

It is really wishful thinking that 5921 will pass because it is less controversial.

Actually, none of the bills are really controversial. It is naive to think that the bills which are not getting passed are being stuck because of some politicians' reasonable objection to some sections of it.

It the three bills are not passed it is purely due to political reasons and not due to any logical reasons. In these situations, you can come up with a bill which says "2 + 2 should be 4" and it will still never make it out of the committee!!

If there is still hope, we should focus on getting the maximum, and see what happens. Setting the sight low right at the outset is not going to help in any case.

Last edited by Pineapple; 07-10-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Chiwere will become famous soon enough Chiwere will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
It is really wishful thinking that 5921 will pass because it is less controversial.
It the three bills are not passed it is purely due to political reasons and not due to any logical reasons...
Exactly. Anti immigrants get wind of any negative development (from their POV) and rally fellow bigots. The do nothing Congress folds like a cheap tent and we are back to the one. Go for the maximum, maybe that will work better.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post

Actually, none of the bills are really controversial. It is naive to think that the bills which are not getting passed are being stuck because of some politicians' reasonable objection to some sections of it.

It the three bills are not passed it is purely due to political reasons and not due to any logical reasons. In these situations, you can come up with a bill which says "2 + 2 should be 4" and it will still never make it out of the committee!!

If there is still hope, we should focus on getting the maximum, and see what happens. Setting the sight low right at the outset is not going to help in any case.

I completely concur with you on that, in my previous two posts, I suggested we all should do something big, something which brings more visibility towards our problem. Why do you think Hispanic Caucus or other anti immigration associates have a lead over us? It is simple, "visibility"

Another suggestion is, we can file a law suite, something which is being discussed by other member, including myself. This type of activity will put more pressure on congress, as it is we are aware that congress is under a lot of heat due to its failures and laziness over some bills. They will have to do something in order to get re-elected for next term.

If we sleep on these bills now, chances are other bills will stack on them as we proceed towards the end of the year. The strategy now should be to, create some time of attraction towards our problems. For e.g. last year, the flower campaign brought us a lot of visibility. Something which was quiet well reported by media both in US & in India. We should again perform something big, like a DC rally, or a lawsuit and sending flowers again.

Listen guys plain and simple, always act when iron is hot, right now it is hot, lets not wait for it to cool down. A lawsuit and a campaign should be good enough to bring some attention.

Last edited by kumarc123; 07-10-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueguy View Post

Thanks.

I think we will have an update once reliable information is available. At this point we only have some media stuff to go by. IV will come up with an update once information is directly received from Congressional offices and/or through our lobbyists. This is clearly not an easy environment. We are fighting both pro and anti immigrants for various reasons. Hold on tight- the ride is getting rockier!

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts
Default Be careful with your words

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaniMiBanana View Post
It's always gonna be rocky unless we get the visas that belong to us from those lower skilled EB-3 ROW people who didn't even go to IIT. I say we should go full speed with the 5921!
Please don't point fingers on EB3, all EB members are the same, this type of thinking will create differences among all of us. I am EB2 India, but feel no different. We all are in it together, and together only we can win. The only way is to think and say us!, not you or me

Thanks

Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2010
Compare
willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute willwin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's always gonna be rocky unless we get the visas that belong to us from those lower skilled EB-3 ROW people who didn't even go to IIT. I say we should go full speed with the 5921!
I am EB3 India.

Well, US Govt. has decided that they need people from EB3 ROW. They are definitely skilled enough to do their job.

BTW, you dont talk like one who had been to IIT!!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute
Default We should focus on all 3 Lofgren bills

We should focus on all 3 Lofgren bills (HR 5882, 5921 and 6039), by cherry picking one bill is not going to provide relief to the entire community. Hey isn't USCIS already following something similar to 5921 by rolling over unused visa's from ROW to retrogressed countries. USCIS hasn't been wasting lots of visa's for the past 2 years (2006-7 and 2007-8). By just supporting HR5921 we are creating a rift between ROW and retrogressed countries. HR5921 along with the other 2 bills is the only way the entire community can benefit.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't sound like an IITian for sure.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light

Previous congress was called "Do nothing" congress...

This one is "DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" congress.