Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transit Visa need to Travel Via-Germany

Transit Visa need to Travel Via-Germany if you don't have valid Visa or Travelling on AP.

Please who are travelling Via---> Germany should hold Transit visa, if they don't have Valid US Visa or using AP.

I believe this rule came recently, please see below link of German Consulate Website for more information.

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List

This applies to people who are going to India to get Visa at Consulate in India too.

If any one is Travelling Visa- Germany (Frankfurt/Munich etc) please take necessary steps.

And this is new and most of the passengers/Airport people might not be aware, better be safe than sorry later.

My post is NOT legal advice and it's my personal opinion.
Take Advise from Immigration Attorney.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute adibhatla has a reputation beyond repute

•Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years),

Can't this be construed as AP doc.??

Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
stupendousman11 has a spectacular aura about stupendousman11 has a spectacular aura about stupendousman11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Clarification..

Slight clarification to the new regulations:

Based on the "If they return from the USA after having used the visa" exemption, you don't need a transit visa for the USA-Germany-India leg. But for the return you'll either need an AP+transit visa OR a valid USA visa.

This exemption (and regulation) is the same as that for France. And I just traveled to India and back (in Dec2010) through Paris on expired USA visa and therefore know the above to be true (at least for France).

I485 (NSC) (primary) - RD 2Jul07; ND 29Aug07,
- Soft LUDs 2008-9/8,9/12,9/24
- Hard LUD on 9/23/08 at 2.15pm "RFE evidence rcvd"
- Hard LUD on 9/23/08 at 7pm "RFE sent"
- 10/22/08 "Response to RFE recd"

I485 (spouse)
- Soft LUDs 2008-9/12,9/24
- Hard LUD on 9/19/08 - Address change
- Hard LUD - 9/23/08 at 7pm & 12/18/08 "RFE sent"
- 10/22/08 "RFE evidence rcvd"

Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
ak_manu is just really nice ak_manu is just really nice ak_manu is just really nice ak_manu is just really nice ak_manu is just really nice
Default Transit Visa need to Travel Via-Germany

I am traveling this month end to India via Frankfurt. I am on AP. I checked with German consulate in US and officer told me we need transit visa both ways (going and coming back). there are no exceptions. He confirmed the same twice when I went in person to get Transit visa.

I would rather listen to German consulate office rather than interpreting stupid sentences on German consulate web site. So please do get Transit visa with 2 entries.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajsri is on a distinguished road

I travelled to India in December via Germany. I don't have a valid visa on my passport, but they allowed me to travel to India.
While coming back we have a valid US visa. I checked at Lufthansa counters in IAD airport and they said the transit visa is not required for immediate international flights.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_manu View Post
I am traveling this month end to India via Frankfurt. I am on AP. I checked with German consulate in US and officer told me we need transit visa both ways (going and coming back). there are no exceptions. He confirmed the same twice when I went in person to get Transit visa.

I would rather listen to German consulate office rather than interpreting stupid sentences on German consulate web site. So please do get Transit visa with 2 entries.
No transit visa required. I got an identical response when I checked with the german consulate in november. Nevertheless, I did not take transit visa, and with visa stamping expired in March 2010, I travelled with AP on Lufthansa from IAD to BLR in December, and returned in Jan 2011, and nobody even mentioned the word "transit" anywhere along the route. Lufthansa staff is very knowledgeable about AP, both in Wash.Dulles and BLR. In fact, In BLR I saw that even Air France also does not require transit visa for Paris and allowed people with AP to board without transit visa. So folks, dont waste time and money on transit visa. Nothing is going to happen , unless you miss your connecting flight in Frankfurt, in which case you will not get to stay in a hotel and would have to spend the transit time in the airport.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1-b forever is a name known to all h1-b forever is a name known to all h1-b forever is a name known to all h1-b forever is a name known to all h1-b forever is a name known to all h1-b forever is a name known to all

How much does the Transit visa cost?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adibhatla View Post
•Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years),

Can't this be construed as AP doc.??
That is Re-Entry permit whcih you can get after getting a GC (if you intend to stay abroad for over 1 year )

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts
Default Advance parole do require transit visa;

I tried to book tickets on makemytrip for luftansa yesterday; After going through all passport details etc- for over 2 hours checking etc the agent coolly told me that transit visa is required for advance parole holders. If you carefully see the regulations they mention "2 Years" permit not "1 year" validity of Advance parole. I also heard stories of multiple people blocked from boarding luftansa on advance parole. So i switched and booked on emirates instead. Apparently this rule is either enforced or not depends on the discretion of luftansa personel. So be carefull if you are on advance parole- Looks like germans also trying to get on the Visa Fee pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcseeker2002 View Post
No transit visa required. I got an identical response when I checked with the german consulate in november. Nevertheless, I did not take transit visa, and with visa stamping expired in March 2010, I travelled with AP on Lufthansa from IAD to BLR in December, and returned in Jan 2011, and nobody even mentioned the word "transit" anywhere along the route. Lufthansa staff is very knowledgeable about AP, both in Wash.Dulles and BLR. In fact, In BLR I saw that even Air France also does not require transit visa for Paris and allowed people with AP to board without transit visa. So folks, dont waste time and money on transit visa. Nothing is going to happen , unless you miss your connecting flight in Frankfurt, in which case you will not get to stay in a hotel and would have to spend the transit time in the airport.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default just came back.

just came back from india via frankfurt using AP. no h1b in passport. no questions asked, no one even verified AP. so, i can confirm that, i just came back 10 days ago. hope this helps. Took lufthansa.
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcseeker2002 View Post

Hey gcseeker2002, after 300+ postings also how can you post such a thing.

This is new rule implemented and by thinking you as senior if someone goes and faces problem will you be responsible. So please don't do this boss.

To All Who believe no need to have valid VISA while going back to India or their country.
This is email got from German Consulate at Washington DC to my collegue.

German Cosulate Rep at DC: You wrote that your visa for the United States already expired in September 2010. Therefore you do not fall under Exception Nr. 2. This exception is meant for persons travelling to the US holding a valid US-visa (e.g. a visitors visa with one entry) on their way travelling to the US (Exception 1) and travelling back to their home country during the validity dates of this same visa, but already having used it for entering the US (Exception2) . I hope this clarifies your additional question. I suggest that you apply for an Airport Transit Visa as soon as possible to avoid any problems when travelling back to India via Frankfurt airport.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Eb3Retro,

Did you drive car on High Way over the speed limit and got ticket.
And passer by drivers at Higher Speed than you. Can you point police for stopping you.

So don't tell that you are fine and everybody is fine.

What if someone here saw your postings (800+ posting guru) and travels wihtout Transit Visa and Aitport people ask for Transit Visa and missed flight--- Have to stay at Airport for hours.

Try to accept rules guys....

Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default hi

u know what, gcseeker2002 is correct to the dot. we do not need a transit visa while coming thru germany in lufthansa. no one even mentions that word. i called and emailed the german consulate b4 i flew out of US, all people including german consulate, travel agent (2 of them),, mentioned that i require it and still i travelled back without it. no one mentioned that word. trust me guys, u wont require it, i just came 10 days ago just with AP.

NOTE : I also recd such emails from German consulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwak View Post
Hey gcseeker2002, after 300+ postings also how can you post such a thing.

This is new rule implemented and by thinking you as senior if someone goes and faces problem will you be responsible. So please don't do this boss.

To All Who believe no need to have valid VISA while going back to India or their country.
This is email got from German Consulate at Washington DC to my collegue.

German Cosulate Rep at DC: You wrote that your visa for the United States already expired in September 2010. Therefore you do not fall under Exception Nr. 2. This exception is meant for persons travelling to the US holding a valid US-visa (e.g. a visitors visa with one entry) on their way travelling to the US (Exception 1) and travelling back to their home country during the validity dates of this same visa, but already having used it for entering the US (Exception2) . I hope this clarifies your additional question. I suggest that you apply for an Airport Transit Visa as soon as possible to avoid any problems when travelling back to India via Frankfurt airport.
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwak View Post
Eb3Retro,

Did you drive car on High Way over the speed limit and got ticket.
And passer by drivers at Higher Speed than you. Can you point police for stopping you.

So don't tell that you are fine and everybody is fine.

What if someone here saw your postings (800+ posting guru) and travels wihtout Transit Visa and Aitport people ask for Transit Visa and missed flight--- Have to stay at Airport for hours.

Try to accept rules guys....
easyvishwak, there is a common disclaimer in any of the internet forums that you take the information with a pinch of salt. people post their experiences, whether to follow or not is totally your call. Next time, I wont be so polite when writing my response because you mentioned some unnecessary things in your response to my post. So, please do not aggrevate me. that was my experience, whether you want to take it or not, or, if others want to take it or not is totally upto them. same way, u dont speak for others. keep it to the point and dont do any personal attacks.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3retro View Post
easyvishwak, there is a common disclaimer in any of the internet forums that you take the information with a pinch of salt. people post their experiences, whether to follow or not is totally your call. Next time, I wont be so polite when writing my response because you mentioned some unnecessary things in your response to my post. So, please do not aggrevate me. that was my experience, whether you want to take it or not, or, if others want to take it or not is totally upto them. same way, u dont speak for others. keep it to the point and dont do any personal attacks.
Hey does my posting is offending you, if sorry man.

I'm just concerned as we see lot of people who come here to gain knowledge.
And some lazy guys see postings and take them granted you know. Thats why I don't want someone to be in that situation. Have nice evening my friend.