Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light
Default More Troubles for Legal Immigrants with DMV

Even PA DMV also adopted more troublesome procedure of giving DL to the LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
Even after having VALID EAD DOCUMENT, verifying ORIGINAL USCIS documents and ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY CARD why DMV want to check status with USCIS again?

What do they get out of that process?? Seems like another way of harassing LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Why redundant procedures???... Why to waste tax payers money with these kinds of redundant policies??
Why individual states like PA, GA and SC adopting these policies??

Please share your experiences from other states if any similar sort.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute silveroaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default FL is the same

They do the same n FL and whats worse....they only issue temporary license that expires every year.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroaks View Post
They do the same n FL and whats worse....they only issue temporary license that expires every year.
Contact your federal/state congress man/senator and protest about this. The cranky wheel gets the oil.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inclde Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openarms View Post
Even PA DMV also adopted more troublesome procedure of giving DL to the LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
Even after having VALID EAD DOCUMENT, verifying ORIGINAL USCIS documents and ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY CARD why DMV want to check status with USCIS again?

What do they get out of that process?? Seems like another way of harassing LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Why redundant procedures???... Why to waste tax payers money with these kinds of redundant policies??
Why individual states like PA, GA and SC adopting these policies??

Please share your experiences from other states if any similar sort.
Same is the case with Missouri. Earlier in one of the DMVs ( in the same city of St.louis) one official just bluntly denied to consider a valid EAD card, where as 5 miles on the otherside of city, same day, same deparment issued a paper License and sent all the copies of 'Oroginal' documents such as EAD card, SS Card to USCIS for "verification"
my personal opinion is not that they are trying to harass, but rather lack of proper directions
"Don't go Where a Path Leads. Rather go where there is No Path and leave a trail for Others"

Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light sreenivas11 is a glorious beacon of light
Default VA State

Now they are implementing in VA State too

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
enggr is infamous around these parts enggr is infamous around these parts enggr is infamous around these parts

They have this in Connecticut (CT) state also . In 2010 Jan I applied for my license transfer and they checked my 797, passport, employment verification letter etc and they said they need to send the verification to USCIS which will take a few hours or a day. they wanted me to come back the next day to collect the license

Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute
Default new FL law

my wife doesnt have EAD or H4. she has AP only which expires in mar 2011 and so does AP stamp on her i94.
she got license valid only till mar 2011.
less than 6 months for $48.

she sent an email to customer service and this is the reply she got
If you have a pending I-485 filed under derivative status of your husband you must be included in his I-140 petition. Is there some paperwork you filed to have you added under his I-140 after you married him? If not other option is to show that you have applied to extend your H4 status after march 2011 eg. I-539. You can get a driver license (if you have not already got one) till your current I94 is valid and then when you apply for an extension you can show the receipt notice and renew for a year or show us a valid EAD card.

i dont have my 140 app and i dont remember getting her name added in 140. and i dont have H1 so no H4 option. so the only option left for here is filing her EAD. cause i dont know if they will extend it on AP alone with expired I94.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dalasengineer is on a distinguished road
Default IOWA DMV experience

I was issued a license based on my EAD expiration date. Same for my wife. We went back to DMV to get license extended based on I 94 expiry date. My I94 expiry date was different than ED expiration date as the customs gave expiry date which is 1 year later than EAD expriation date. I asked the customs officer why the date was different than my EAD date. He told my stay was valid till my I94 expiry date.
Anyways, IOWA DMV extended our license based on I94 date and we came back happy to know that we shall not have to walk in -30F to fetch our grocery as we wait to get our renewed EAD..

regardss

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Guys,

You should contact senator, congress man to protest about it. It's better to spend time in contacting them then standing in DMV's queue time again. Use your IV's local chapter and initiate a drive to meet law makers.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhwinderd View Post
my wife doesnt have EAD or H4. she has AP only which expires in mar 2011 and so does AP stamp on her i94.
she got license valid only till mar 2011.
less than 6 months for $48.

she sent an email to customer service and this is the reply she got
If you have a pending I-485 filed under derivative status of your husband you must be included in his I-140 petition. Is there some paperwork you filed to have you added under his I-140 after you married him? If not other option is to show that you have applied to extend your H4 status after march 2011 eg. I-539. You can get a driver license (if you have not already got one) till your current I94 is valid and then when you apply for an extension you can show the receipt notice and renew for a year or show us a valid EAD card.

i dont have my 140 app and i dont remember getting her name added in 140. and i dont have H1 so no H4 option. so the only option left for here is filing her EAD. cause i dont know if they will extend it on AP alone with expired I94.
Never knew that spouse had to be included in the I-140 stage... Is this a new rule?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by India_USA View Post
Never knew that spouse had to be included in the I-140 stage... Is this a new rule?
No, this is basically the left arm of the government not knowing how the right arm does its business.
New EB2 I-140 Approved: 12/5/2011 (TSC)
Interfiled 12/15/2012
Greened on Feb 10, 2012!
Total Contribution: $200

Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts
Default sorry if this is the wrong place

I was trying to open a brokerage account with Bank Of America (Merrill Lynch) which was denied as it does not recognize EAD.
The web site clearly says that you should be a citizen or a green card to open an account

Did anyone opened it recently.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about
Default Drop in to local branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikith77 View Post
I was trying to open a brokerage account with Bank Of America (Merrill Lynch) which was denied as it does not recognize EAD.
The web site clearly says that you should be a citizen or a green card to open an account

Did anyone opened it recently.
Drop by to local branch and you should not have any issue. Most of institutions have GC or citizens only for opening a/c ONLINE (even CitiBank NRI used to have issue, I'm not sure of it now). It works if you drop by to the local office. I'd also had issue w/ eTrade and Scottrade's online but it worked when I walked-in to local office.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts

I did that today and they also call the same number from there.

The caller clearly told me that Citizens or CG only

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light
Default EAD is another useless document for these guys.

In PA these are the steps to get DL

1) Go with all immigration related documents, with address proofs. (you still get harassed by the way you look, for this, for that and that..)..(I personally had very hard time..) After a long wait, chatting with other associates, he/she will simply say that you need to wait for 3 weeks untill they verify the status with USCIS. (SO EAD IS NOTHING FOR THEM...JUST ANOTHER WASTE CARD)

2) Once your are good.. they will send a letter, saying that your verification is done.. and come with all the laundry list of documents again

3) When you go there the story begins again....see below

One of associates at DMV today gave me very hard time (he talked while with another associate).... He want's to see my employment letter despite having and showing all the necessary documents (EAD, social, I-485, etc...) to him...and his own department verification is not sufficient for him....When I told him that he does not need to see my employment letter, that is the job of immigration services and despite telling my status as I-485 adjustee...he refuse to process my application.. asked for Supervisor and the supervisor was surprised and why the other associate is refused to give DL despite having all the documents.

Finally he took care off it.