Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future
Default E-Verify

Guys,

I had to open a new thread to get your attention to this. But it seems that the House Stimulus Bill passed this evening contains the 'E-Verify' . Incidently, when Sen. Menendez introduced the Visa Recapture Bill last year, he held the republican's at bay by not passing E-verify in the senate. If, E-verify is passed in the senate, then we will loose an important bargaining chip for visa recapture bill of any kind. Please read the info. below. You can also google e-verify house stimulus bill to get the latest.

Action step is to strip e-verify from the Senate Stimulus bill. Please see below.
ACTION: Stimulus Bill Includes E-verify Requirement
January 23, 2009 · 2 Comments

The House Appropriations Committee made a serious mistake when it approved an amendment to the stimulus bill (the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) that would require all businesses and other public or private “entities” that contract to receive money from the stimulus package to use the flawed federal Basic Pilot/E-Verify program. This will not only delay use of stimulus funds, but will hurt millions of workers. It should be stripped from the bill.

The E-Verify provision in the stimulus will:
• Harm workers who are either falsely denied work or are targeted by employers abusing the E-verify program;
• Create substantial new burdens for businesses, especially small businesses, at precisely the wrong time;
• Send the wrong signal to new voters that the Congress prefers to play politics by enacting symbolic and ineffective immigration “enforcement” measures over serious and effective economic stimulus or serious immigration reform.

ACTION NEEDED

1. Call Speaker Nancy Pelosi (head of Democratic Leadership) at 202-225-0100.

2. Call Chairman Obey (chair of the House Appropriations committee) at 202-225-3365.

3. Call Democrats who sit on the appropriations committee if you live in their state.

4. Tell them:
• You are extremely disappointed that the E-Verify requirement was included on the Stimulus and you want the provision stripped from the bill.
• Including E-verify in the stimulus package completely undercuts the purpose of the bill and will only be counterproductive for American business, workers and the economy.
• Real solutions to our economic problems and immigration reform should be approached seriously and separately.
• The flawed E-Verify program’s database errors will wrongly workers their jobs.

FAIR (the Federation for American Immigration Reform) just sent out an alert to its very active network to call committee members in support of this provision. We need to counter their calls.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future
Default E-Verify extended

Also, the E-Verify bill was supposed to expire this March 06, 2009; but has been extended by four years because of the House Stimulus Bill. It is still in the senate. It has to be stopped.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gonecrazyonh4 is on a distinguished road
Default Update on Everify requirement

Agreement Reached to Re-evaluate Rule Requiring Federal Contractors to Use E-Verify

Yesterday, the U.S. government agreed to delay until May 21, 2009, implementation of a new rule requiring federal contractors to use the federal government’s E-Verify employment eligibility system.
SHRM and other associations requested this extension after the president’s Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, issued a memorandum to all agencies stating that agencies should consider extending the effective dates of all regulations that were published in the Federal Register but that have not yet taken effect.
While SHRM, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Associated Builders and Contractors, HR Policy Association, and the American Council on International Personnel still have a lawsuit pending against the government challenging the legality of the federal contractor mandate, this agreement suspends court proceedings in order to allow the Obama Administration an opportunity to review the rule.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light
Default What's this

Had a friend forward this email. Is this true.

Date: Wednesday 28JAN09 12:15 p.m. EST

E-Verify Amendments Still In Tact -- Keep Up the Pressure Until Final Vote Today

DEAR FRIENDS,

Please keep phoning your own U.S. Representative (even if he/she usually is pro-illegal-immigration). 202-224-3121

Do NOT make any more calls to the Rule Committee Members (unless they are from your district).

Things are looking good, but we can't be sure until the final vote occurs. Your hard work is definitely paying off.

No amendments to strip the E-Verify language out of the stimulus bill were even filed, which is a huge victory for us. However, since things can change on the Hill at any moment, it is critical that you keep calling your own U.S. Representative to tell them you support the E-Verify language in the bill and hope your Rep. will help ensure that it remains in the bill.

The final vote on the stimulus bill should happen sometime late this afternoon or early this evening.

To be clear, there is currently no amendment to strip the E-Verify language.

Please go to your Action Buffet corkboard and click on the phone note. It will provide talking points to make it easier to make the phone call. And it names your Representative and provides alternative phone numbers to call.

Be sure to keep watching our NumbersUSA home page for updates.

THANKS,
ANNE

Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please explain why E-verify is going to badly affect a legal employment based GC applicant? I was thinking that this is good for most 'legal' people.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of
Angry

How is e-Verify going to affect legal immigrants ?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
Default Not direct impact, but...

E-Verify was a bargaining chip for Senate Democrats against Senate Republicans.

What happened was - When Senator Menendez from NJ (Dem.) floated the Visa Recapture Bill; he said that he and other Dems will only support Permanent extension of E-Verify a bill designed to extend it for four additional years; if the Senate Republicans support Visa Recapture Bill.

But the Visa Recapture Bill didn't happen.
So, E-Verify also didn't happen.

However, as a Last Minute "ideal gift" from the Great President Bush to all Legal Immigrants; he issued an Executive order to extend E-Verify till March 06, 2009.
Therefore, E-Verify is active today in the system.

Now, House and Senate Republicans want to permanently extend E-Verify after March 06, 2009; especially the antis and yes NumbersUSA.So, they added this amendment to extend E-Verify for additional 4 years in the Stimulus Bill that passed this Wednesday.

However, the Stimulus Bill has to pass the Senate to become law. Thus, permanent extension of E-Verify has nothing to do with giving Stimulus money to only legal immigrants. It, is just that two immigrant hating politicians added the clause to the bill; in the hopes of seeing it pass. But IT SHOULD FAIL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
How is e-Verify going to affect legal immigrants ?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldonSprings View Post
E-Verify was a bargaining chip for Senate Democrats against Senate Republicans.

What happened was - When Senator Menendez from NJ (Dem.) floated the Visa Recapture Bill; he said that he and other Dems will only support Permanent extension of E-Verify a bill designed to extend it for four additional years; if the Senate Republicans support Visa Recapture Bill.

But the Visa Recapture Bill didn't happen.
So, E-Verify also didn't happen.

However, as a Last Minute "ideal gift" from the Great President Bush to all Legal Immigrants; he issued an Executive order to extend E-Verify till March 06, 2009.
Therefore, E-Verify is active today in the system.

Now, House and Senate Republicans want to permanently extend E-Verify after March 06, 2009; especially the antis and yes NumbersUSA.So, they added this amendment to extend E-Verify for additional 4 years in the Stimulus Bill that passed this Wednesday.

However, the Stimulus Bill has to pass the Senate to become law. Thus, permanent extension of E-Verify has nothing to do with giving Stimulus money to only legal immigrants. It, is just that two immigrant hating politicians added the clause to the bill; in the hopes of seeing it pass. But IT SHOULD FAIL!!!
Again the question remains, how does it affect us ?

Are you saying Visa recapture was tied to E-verify in the past administration and so passing E-Verify without recapture will kill the chances of recapture ?

Situation has changed now. It is a new administration now and power has titled in favor of democrats both in house and senate. Democrats don't have to appease GOP to get any bill passed now.