Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute
Default $7500 Tax Credit for First-Time Home Buyers

Friends,

we are eligible for this tax break or not? My tax guy is telling me that H1B visa holders are not eligible for this tax break.

Please share some info.

Thanks

MC

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Compare
cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of cooler has much to be proud of
Default source of this information

Can you post the source for this information? A link would help..
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael chertoff View Post
Friends,

we are eligible for this tax break or not? My tax guy is telling me that H1B visa holders are not eligible for this tax break.

Please share some info.

Thanks

MC
Your tax guy may not know what he is talking about. Consider firing him! As long as you have not filed your taxes as a nonresident alien, you are eligible for the credit. For tax purposes H1 visa holders are treated as resident alien, so where did he get his idea from?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future

i agree. You should be able to use this tax credit. Go for it !!

-va_dude

Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of

Here's the link.

Money quote : "Only homes purchased on or after April 9, 2008 and before July 1, 2009 are eligible".

Also, there is an income limit.

quote : "For a married couple filing a joint return, the phase-out range is $150,000 to $170,000. For other taxpayers, the phase-out range is $75,000 to $95,000."

Also,

Q. Who cannot take the credit?
A. If any of the following describe you, you cannot take the credit, even if you buy a main home:
You are a nonresident alien
I-485 delivered to NSC 8 August 2007
Receipted at TSC 2 October 2007

Last edited by ashkam; 01-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default H1B is resident alien

It is my understanding that H1Bs are resident aliens. We are residing in this country, right?

Below is the complete list:
A. If any of the following describe you, you cannot take the credit, even if you buy a main home:
* Your income exceeds the phase-out range. This means joint filers with MAGI of $170,000 and above and other taxpayers with MAGI of $95,000 and above.
* You buy your home from a close relative. This includes your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.
* You stop using your home as your main home.
* You sell your home before the end of the year.
* You are a nonresident alien.
* You are, or were, eligible to claim the District of Columbia first-time homebuyer credit for any taxable year.
* Your home financing comes from tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds.
* You owned another main home at any time during the three years prior to the date of purchase. For example, if you bought a home on July 1, 2008, you cannot take the credit for that home if you owned, or had an ownership interest in, another main home at any time from July 2, 2005, through July 1, 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkam View Post
Here's the link.

Money quote : "Only homes purchased on or after April 9, 2008 and before July 1, 2009 are eligible".

Also, there is an income limit.

quote : "For a married couple filing a joint return, the phase-out range is $150,000 to $170,000. For other taxpayers, the phase-out range is $75,000 to $95,000."

Also,

You are a nonresident alien

Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post
It is my understanding that H1Bs are resident aliens. We are residing in this country, right?

Below is the complete list:
* Your income exceeds the phase-out range. This means joint filers with MAGI of $170,000 and above and other taxpayers with MAGI of $95,000 and above.
* You buy your home from a close relative. This includes your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.
* You stop using your home as your main home.
* You sell your home before the end of the year.
* You are a nonresident alien.
* You are, or were, eligible to claim the District of Columbia first-time homebuyer credit for any taxable year.
* Your home financing comes from tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds.
* You owned another main home at any time during the three years prior to the date of purchase. For example, if you bought a home on July 1, 2008, you cannot take the credit for that home if you owned, or had an ownership interest in, another main home at any time from July 2, 2005, through July 1, 2008.
As a general rule, for tax purposes, an H1B holder is a "resident" (provided s/he meets the minimum presence rule and does not seek waiver due to his/her F-1 status, etc.). However, languages in the tax context do not include the word "alien". The word "alien" is almost exclusively used to refer to one's immigration status (not tax status) and in that context H1B holders are non-resident alien (as opposed to green card holders who are "resident alien"). So the tax consultant of the original poster may unfortunately be right.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2006
Compare
giveme_gc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its a loan ..watch out

http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/index.html

Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/08/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2011
Compare
braindrain is a glorious beacon of light braindrain is a glorious beacon of light braindrain is a glorious beacon of light braindrain is a glorious beacon of light braindrain is a glorious beacon of light braindrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Loan might change to credit in new stimulus

The 7500 is a 15 year interest free loan and thats certainly not bad. But, as part of the new stimulus plan, its being modified as credit rather than a loan and need to see if this makes the final cut.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveme_gc View Post
It's a loan and need to be re-paid in period of 15 years. Give me money now MAN, Who cares 15 years for repayment is a long time.

16. Does the credit have to be paid back to the government? If so, what are the payback provisions?

Yes, the tax credit must be repaid. Home buyers will be required to repay the credit to the government, without interest, over 15 years or when they sell the house, if there is sufficient capital gain from the sale. For example, a home buyer claiming a $7,500 credit would repay the credit at $500 per year. The home owner does not have to begin making repayments on the credit until two years after the credit is claimed. So if the tax credit is claimed on the 2008 tax return, a $500 payment is not due until the 2010 tax return is filed. If the home owner sold the home, then the remaining credit amount would be due from the profit on the home sale. If there was insufficient profit, then the remaining credit payback would be forgiven.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveme_gc View Post
No. According to the new stimulus plan, the $7,500 tax-credit doesn't need to be repaid. It's free:-)

Source:http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/29/real...ion=2009012907
I-485 (NSC Received on 07/02/2007 at 10:20am)
I-485 RD: 08/08/2007 ND: 10/02/2007
Name Check: Pending as of 08/08/08
08/15/2008: Sent an email to Senator.
08/20/2008: Received a call from Senator's offfice to submit further evidence for my complaints (RFE from Senator office)
09/09/2008: Name Check is clear.( Info from Senator's office)
09/01/09: Received I-485 CPO email
09/08/09: Received the GC.