Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

The below post I think should be done by an anti immigrant. Anyway
god bless you. I was not there in the rally but I am sure IV have done a great job. Within a months timeframe we should see good happening to employee based immigrant community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretroiv View Post
Total Disaster.

Very few people attended, not covered much in any news channel except 2 (Business week and roll call are paid ones with volunteers contribution)
Finally it is a Total Diaster rally due to lack of partcipation from members.The members attended is around 400 to 500.

People may start jumping on me, but friends it is the mere fact and reality.
If somebody can not accept reality, it is their issue.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 09-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
mybid2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Google Video or Google Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameryki View Post
link not working! or atleast for me its not.
You need to have Google Video or Google Pack downloaded & installed for Google Videos to watch.
I485/EAD/AP : Reached NSC on 7/2/2007 @ 8:26AM; Signed by C UHRMACHER
RD : 07/02/2007 from CSC.
ND : 08/29/2007 from CSC.
Transferred to NSC from CSC on 8/28.
EAD : Received on 9/6.
AP : Appoved on 9/11. Document mailed 9/13.
FP Notice : Not received Yet.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/us/19immigration.html

Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi

http://www.ocregister.com/news/green...igration-voice

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv...205:05:00%20PM

Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default rally numbers

it's very hard to estimate numbers in a crowd like this, personally i find it impossible and you will see that in the wildly varying press reports too.
however registrations clearly show that attendees crossed 2000.
we were walking in a narrow strip with just 3 people in a line to avoid disturbing traffic, so people may misinterpret that in pictures. however the line snaked forever...that i can tell you from being there as i started at the end of the line and tried to make my way to the front. also a lot of people did start leaving before the speech from the congressman and that will also cause wild variations in estimated numbers- these included a lot of locals that returned to work once the march itself was over. we are told by DC volunteers that world bank employees were present and others noted federal workers on their lunch breaks.
the response from passer byes was generally great, we encountered no heckling or protests. the last 4 days have seen a huge effort from many dedicated volunteers and the credit for this goes to them...as to those that came to walk! few organizations can organize and complete about 150 lawmaker meetings, including many with key senior legislators offices.
those who want to spend time discussing and debating numbers or diversity of attendees are as always free to do so. the undeniable fact remains that iv is today a dominant force in the fight for legal immigration reform and this is now recognized by all parties concerned, whether it be USCIS, legislators, immigration attorneys or the media. we have grown and matured as an organization and the way now is forward...

the last 4 days were the experience of a lifetime for me. more on that soon, but for now suffice to say that i'm proud to be a part of iv and to have raised my voice for fairness.

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gcnirvana is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Great to hear the rally was a success. I was closely following the blogs and other news about the rally today. Made me feel like I was there in DC with my fellow IV friends. I personally feel its a shame that I couldn't go. Whatever it is, there is no excuse for not being there....period.

Well, I congratulate IV Core Team and our members who made this a great success. I am really proud of you all.

Finally, here is the message from Murthy, applauding the efforts....

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_ivsuccess.html
Prior Contributions: $500+
Monthly Contribution: $25
Greened on 9/3/10

Old 09-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
wolfpok will become famous soon enough wolfpok will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up great job on the ground...

paskal et al.

GREAT JOB all around! Hats off to the coordinators! Your planning and execution were awesome!

as for participants...we seemed like rally veterans rather than the true neophytes we were.

hope the 150+ meetings will get us a toe hold in congressional offices that had never heard of retrogression before!

pok from nc.

ps: back to lurking now.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Nytimes Coverage

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/us...on.html?ref=us

Kudos to everyone for making the rally a great success.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold vineet is a splendid one to behold
Default Houston Chronicle and OC register articles!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/5139796.html

http://www.ocregister.com/news/green...gration-voice:)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaca View Post
Immigration reform still an urgent need By L.A. Chung (lchung@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5280) | Mercury News Columnist, 09/19/2007
It needs subscription - please post the message - my good friend

Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of
Default Legal but in Limbo, Skilled Immigrants Rally for Change

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091801944.html

Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga View Post
Neat one - this is cool.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
485_se_dukhi is on a distinguished road
Default Here's the full article

Chung: Immigration reform still an urgent need
By L.A. Chung
Mercury News Columnist
Article Launched: 09/19/2007 01:37:40 AM PDT

Maybe it was just another demonstration in our nation's capital Tuesday.

High-skilled workers from around the country, including San Jose, met at the Washington Monument for the time-honored American ritual of marching to the front of the Capitol to press their cause. In this case: reforming employment-based immigration laws.

Let's hope it's the beginning of something more: progress in one little corner of our screwed-up immigration system. After the debacle of the big immigration reform bill this summer, Sen. Dianne Feinstein had suggested that the only way to fix any of it was to start piecemeal. Indeed, several independent measures are afoot, aimed at relieving specific areas, from high-skilled workers to guest workers to students. There's no talk of addressing the status of undocumented immigrants, the thing that killed the big bill last June.

So if there are places we can start solving problems before Congress freezes up in presidential election politics, why not?

"We are hoping for a clear action, rather than being left hanging in this state," said Rahul Deshpande, a 31-year-old software engineer who came here on an H-1B visa eight years ago.

Right now, people like Deshpande aren't looking for comprehensive reform. They're just hoping for a more predictable timeline for people already well into the application process but stuck in the long, uncertain state of waiting for green cards that are available but expire because of backlogs
Advertisement
in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services agency. With so much uncertainty, he has explored opportunities in Australia.

Seeing a clear way?

True, in Silicon Valley, and throughout the tech industry, we have ambivalence toward employment-based visas. High tech employers in particular say there is a shortage and they cannot do without them. American software engineers, some of whom have had to train foreign replacement programmers, contend the system has been abused, lowering wages and importing some workers who are less uniquely skilled than advertised.

I sat in the hillside living room of an American software engineer who has seen the ups and downs of the industry over the course of two decades. He didn't want to be identified because he wants to continue to be employed and fears speaking candidly, lest employers take umbrage.

Programmers' wages, which had been stagnant, rose inordinately high with the run-up to preparing computers for the Y2K change. With the advent of aggressive overseas hiring, wages "corrected," he acknowledged. And now they've gone down.

Investing in "us"

He doesn't fault the overseas workers in this era of globalization. Yet, he has discouraged his very bright nephew from going into computer science because of his own bleak outlook for earning potential in the field.

I doubt we want that, either.

Groups like Immigration Voice, which began almost two years ago, and Legal Immigrant Association, which sprang up in recent months, have taken pains to emphasize their members' legal status and to appeal to Americans' sense of fairness.

Fix the abuses, and fix the backlogs that make a mockery of the current laws, they say.

Deshpande's 6-month-old daughter is the reason he hopes for a long-term future in the United States. He likes the broader sense of community expressed, for example, by things we take for granted, such as a beach cleanup or a neighborhood watch. "Everyone feels responsible here," he said. "Ultimately, we take responsibility for our own environment here."

A shared sense of community: That's the way we'd all like to live.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Contact L.A. Chung at lchung@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5280.
Initial contribution $200 + Sent flowers + $50/m recurring deposit + Sent thank you cards + Contributed $100 towards the rally + Bought IV T-shirts for the rally+ Attended Sept 18 Rally + Met our local congresswoman

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - G. B. Shaw

Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future
Default From www.GreatAndhra.com

http://www.greatandhra.com/ganews/vi...cat=10&scat=25

Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2007
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Windy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciber.couger View Post
I don't know what it is, but I had this great feeling while I was on the Rally, a feeling of pride, courage, union. I really enjoyed being in the rally, seeing all other members, families, and little kids. It just made me feel I belong somewhere.
I had to mention this again, I know there is at least 10 people in my organization who promised to come to the Rally, I was looking all over for you guys, Then I found out none of you showed up after I called you at your offices! That really made feel bad, you all work in Virginia less than 30 minutes from DC. You should be a shame of your selves. A lot of people came from all over the country with their families and little kids. I just need to understand why?
We all in the same situation here, I am not going to speak to you again. sorry
I completely agree with you. I felt so proud to be in the rally. I am not even a green card seeker. I came with a bunch of people who already got their greencards. We all came to support the good cause. It was very nice to see how successful the rally was. I didn't expect this many people to take part.

Hats off to IV.

As mentioned, I know a lot of people in DC,VA and MD area, who are stuck in their green card process. None of them showed up. It is so shameful for them to not show and have someone else speak for these folks.

Last edited by Windy; 09-19-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Closed Thread