Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare
techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute
Default New bill H.R. 1796 for visa spillover introduced

Source: H.R. 1796 - Summary: Reuniting Families Act (GovTrack.us)

Amongst other measures it
1. Aims to recapture unused visas from 1992
2. Aims to reclassify the spouses of LPR as immediate relatives

The bill has around 74 sponsors and might help the members if it makes it to the floor of the house in getting more attention to legal immigration issues.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Is this for real? How did it slip by our radar
Visa recapture is a very very bid deal

H.R.1796 - Filipino Veterans Family Reunification Act
H.R.1796: Filipino Veterans Family Reunification Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Official Summary

5/6/2011--Introduced.Reuniting Families Act - Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to establish the fiscal year worldwide level of employment-based immigrants at 140,000 plus:
(1) the previous year's unused visas, and
(2) the number of unused visas from FY1992-FY2011. Establishes the fiscal year worldwide level of family-sponsored immigrants at 480,000 plus:
(1) the previous year's unused visas, and
(2) the number of unused visas from FY1992-FY2011. Revises the definition of "immediate relative" to:
(1) mean a child, spouse, or parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (and for each family member of a citizen or resident, such individual's accompanying spouse or child), except that in the case of parents such citizens shall be at least 21 years old;
(2) permit a widow or widower of a U.S. citizen or resident to seek permanent resident status if married at least two years at the time of the citizen's or resident's death or, if married less than two years, by showing through a preponderance of the evidence that the marriage was entered into in good faith and not solely to obtain an immigration benefit; and
(3) include an alien who was the child or parent of a U.S. citizen or resident at the time of the citizen's or resident's death if the alien files a petition within two years after such date or prior to reaching 21 years old. Increases immigration visas for:
(1) unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and
(2) brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens. Provides an 80,640 visa allocation for the unmarried sons and daughters of permanent resident aliens. Increases annual per country (10% of annual total) and dependent area (5% of annual total) limits for employment-based and family-sponsored immigrant visas. Expands specified family-unity exceptions to unlawful presence-based inadmissibility. Provides specified relief for orphans and spouses regarding:
(1) petitions for immediate relative status,
(2) parole eligibility,
(3) permanent resident status adjustment, and
(4) processing of immigrant visas. Filipino Veterans Family Reunification Act - Exempts children of naturalized Filipino World War II veterans from worldwide or numerical immigrant limitations. Makes a minor child of an alien fiancee/fiance or of an alien spouse of a U.S. citizen eligible for derivative K-visa status provided that the child's age is determined using such child's age at the date that the petition to classify such child's parent as a K-visa alien is filed with the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS). Authorizes the Secretary or the Attorney General to adjust the status of a finacee/fiance or alien spouse and any minor children (K-visa) to conditional permanent resident status if such alien marries the petitioner within three months after U.S. admission. Redefines "child" for purposes of titles I and II of the Act to include a stepchild under 21 years old. (Current law includes a stepchild who has not reached 18 years old at the time the marriage creating the status of stepchild occurred.) Amends INA to include a "permanent partner" within the scope of such Act. Revises provisions regarding:
(1) priority date retention;
(2) false claims and misrepresentations; and
(3) waiver eligibility for widows, widowers, and orphans. Defines "permanent partner" as an individual 18 or older who:
(1) is in a committed, intimate relationship with another individual 18 or older in which both individuals intend a lifelong commitment;
(2) is financially interdependent with the other individual;
(3) is not married to, or in a permanent partnership with, anyone other than the individual;
(4) is unable to contract with the other individual a marriage cognizable under this Act; and
(5) is not a first, second, or third degree blood relation of the other individual. Defines "permanent partnership" as the relationship existing between two permanent partners. Defines "alien permanent partner" as the individual in a permanent partnership who is being sponsored for a visa.

Life is a journey Enjoy the ride!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie.dude View Post

The bill has around 74 sponsors and might help the members if it makes it to the floor of the house in getting more attention to legal immigration issues.
Just one of those bills that was introduced in May and had gone no where since then...reps do it all the time, nothing serious about it...plus, don't think there is a single republican co-sponsor to this H.R.1796. Please look into IV initiatives as we focus on the proposals that are gaining traction in 112th Congress. Thanks!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The bill includes visa recapture for EB category as well not just FB

Life is a journey Enjoy the ride!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute skpanda has a reputation beyond repute

Point # 3 has direct relation to one of our (IVs) major Initiatives. I hope IV is already aware of this.

Is there anything that can be done by members regarding this?

Quote from the link:

(d) Worldwide Level of Employment-Based Immigrants-

(1) IN GENERAL- The worldwide level of employment-based immigrants under this subsection for a fiscal year is equal to the sum of--

(A) 140,000;

(B) the number computed under paragraph (2); and

(C) the number computed under paragraph (3).

(2) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM PREVIOUS FISCAL YEAR- The number computed under this paragraph for a fiscal year is the difference, if any, between--

(A) the worldwide level of employment-based immigrant visas established for the previous fiscal year; and

(B) the number of visas issued under section 203(b), subject to this subsection, during the previous fiscal year.

(3) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM FISCAL YEARS 1992 THROUGH 2011- The number computed under this paragraph is the difference, if any, between--

(A) the difference, if any, between--

(i) the sum of the worldwide levels of employment-based immigrant visas established for each of fiscal years 1992 through 2011; and

(ii) the number of visas issued under section 203(b), subject to this subsection, during such fiscal years; and

(B) the number of unused visas from fiscal years 1992 through 2011 that were issued after fiscal year 2011 under section 203(b), subject to this subsection..

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute rajuseattle has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest hurdle is the GoP majority in the House and until they come on board with Rep Lofgren nothing will move past House subcommitee on immigration.

GoP wants overall numbers to remain same and wants to cut DV and allocate those numbers to EB.

Hope all IV members write to their respective Congressmen/congresswomen and request them to support Rep Lofgren on this bill.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IV support ?

Any initiatives from IV to support the bill or asking members to write to/meet their law makers to support it ?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/04/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute

I will pray that this bill passes. I have been waiting to file I-485, 13 years and still counting.. God please help us!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie.dude View Post

This is fantastic news!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/04/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute chikna has a reputation beyond repute

We have a good chance to make this happen.

IV core members will have to initiate their effort. I am willing to support for this cause. Let's hope this would approve from Congress this time.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up ray of light

These are sorts of the bills that have reasonable/logical chance of helping us. and not campaign for EB-2 or EB-3 or EB-alpha crap ...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute ambals03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default action ?

What can we do to get some action/support on these bills ?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare
techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute techie.dude has a reputation beyond repute
Default Write to your legislators

The link from maplight (Reuniting Families Act - Vote: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. | MAPLight.org - Money and Politics) shows how much contribution the legislators have gotten related to the bill during different time periods.

For the nay sayers, I see even republican names in the list. I dont say I understand how the bill makes it way onto the floor, but if you see a legislator belonging to your area, worth a shot to give them a holler and voice your opinions.

Here is the list of senators -http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Cheers!