Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2008
Compare
sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold

1. Fire the nanny
2. Go to the cops ASAP with the camera. Dont let your greed for a GC stand in the way of doing whats right for your own child. Civil cases are separate from immigration and you should be fine.
If you dont report her, you will loose the respect of your wife (irrespective of what she says) and yourself.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not quite agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
If he goes to cops what happens to his 485? He is worried that's why he is on this forum - I think he was looking for posters with similar experiences and whether complaining to cops worked or not.

Is 485 the sole purpose of our life now ? Personally I don't give a damn about the GC if I have to see my family suffer and I don't think any crime can be worse than seeing an adult abusing an infant who can't protect himself and not doing something about it.

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute hopefulgc has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody stop to think that maybe Mr. thunderbolt is just pulling a fast one on all of us.

I mean .. it hard to believe that a parent would think twice before reporting a matter like this.

Quote:
Tell me. Why should someone hire a illegal nanny in the first place? Knowing the consequences, why should they come on this forum and ask for support?

I strongly recommend thunderbolt to post the video on youtube and share it with all of us. He can share the link on sulekha also.

Well - it is his choice if he wants to complain to the police.

I am sure mr thunderbolt will never go to the cops because of his immigration status
Approved on 9/9/9
FL chapter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL_Immigration_Voice
$100 through Google Order, Plus supported almost all campaigns big and small
-:- from one great country to another
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoiceThank you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpandey View Post
Is 485 the sole purpose of our life now ? Personally I don't give a damn about the GC if I have to see my family suffer and I don't think any crime can be worse than seeing an adult abusing an infant who can't protect himself and not doing something about it.
Do you want to let a illegal nanny dictate your situation? Your unfortunate situation because you hired a illegal nanny which resulted in your child get beaten up further mess you?

Come on man - this is called knee jerk reaction - I can understand the anger because no one will tolerate beating children.

If something has to be done from now on in this IV community - write blogs about hiring nannies, and also warn people about what is happening on sulekha and ads on grocery stores etc... Ask people to be wary of all this. Such awareness will reduce these kind of incidents.

For our friend, it is his choice

Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light

I really feel sorry to read this post and the Nanny must be punished for this however as everyone else said you may get into legal trouble if you do report it. My own son is now 5 years old and we use day care services and one of the reason i hate the Nanny concept legal or illegal is because of this abuse and qualifications of the nanny. I strongly suggest find a day care which is reputed has a structured curriculum. Go visit the place and check for cleanliness, talk to the staff etc. Remember some of the day care also bad in terms of hygiene etc. but almost none of them would risk their license by abusing a child. Agreed the child get sick a lot but as immune system develops they get over it and my son really enjoyed all the activities at day care. Nanny at home cannot provide activities needed to keep a child busy thus abuse can happen.
Again i am really sorry to hear. I still think you can anonymously report to DHS or police that the nanny is working illegally if you can do it that way she will get deported and may never get a visa to US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Hello guys,
Sorry for this non-immigration related post. We have this sudden, tragic situation that I wanted all of your advice on. Thank you for your time in reading this long post.

We had hired an Indian nanny in NJ who, we learnt after hiring her, is here on a tourist visa. We were paying her $350 per week cash, which is the standard rate around here for nannies (incl. citizens and people on GC). We had liked her when we met her in response to an ad on Sulekha, and we thought an Indian nanny would be good for our first child. She has been with us for about 3 months, and we were intermittently not getting a good feeling with her for some reason. We finally bought a small security camera and installed it yesterday. On the very first day with the camera, we came home and saw the recorded video to find that she is violently hitting the baby on two separate occasions. Needless to say, it has shocked, angered and extremely saddened us. I showed the video to a couple of friends and even they say it is unbearable to watch. This was just the first day of recording and it pains us tremendously to think what all may have happened previously.
She is of course not going to stay with the baby alone anymore, but I want to know what legal options I have to penalize her to the fullest extent, so that she does not do this to anybody else’s small babies. She it seems had come here last year and taken care of someone else’s baby in Hoboken, and I can imagine that their baby also went through this. (This woman and her husband are a ~ 35 year old couple, who have a multiple entry ten year tourist visa; both come here for 6 months every year and work odd jobs like this. They apparently got a (unsponsored) tourist visa after showing a lot of landed property in India).
I specifically want to know if I will have potential problems if I go to law enforcement about this- regarding have employed her (both of us are on H1B visas). I know we have made mistakes and should have done better due diligence in this, and there cannot be any more punishment for us than seeing our 8 month old – who cannot tell us about it when we come home- being beaten on the tapes. We saw this yesterday and have not told her yet. We want to weigh all options before we proceed, but from today onwards one of us is home all the time till Friday. Any advice or opinion is sincerely appreciated. Thanks for reading this long post. And, to all who are thinking of nannies or have one, please learn from our mistakes and closely monitor your child’s safety every day.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2007
Compare
alias will become famous soon enough
Angry Go to the cops

I say again, go to the cops. I understand you did wrong when you hired an illegal immigrant, paid her in cash, etc. It shows your wrong intentions. But in all honesty, that argument is mute, you are not responsible to verify someone's immigration status, I bet you can argue that with an attorney. You are dealing with a much more serious issue here. I pity the guys who suggest not to complain. Either they don’t know what their son means to them, or they have simply messed up their life prioritizing GC over every thing else.

I don't support hiring an illegal nanny or getting someone from India. But what is done is past. Bigger crime here is someone hit your son. If I were you I would have made her life hell, I would have gone till any extent to make her realize what she did. I give a damn about the GC. My first priority is my child. If someone adult hits my child and I come to know about it...I am his dad for god sake. Protect your son so he can call you dad.

Quote:
Hello guys,
Sorry for this non-immigration related post. We have this sudden, tragic situation that I wanted all of your advice on. Thank you for your time in reading this long post.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you want to let a illegal nanny dictate your situation? Your unfortunate situation because you hired a illegal nanny which resulted in your child get beaten up further mess you?
Thats what happening here...

Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
s_r_e_e will become famous soon enough s_r_e_e will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appu View Post
You cannot expect to report the crime/video to the cops without any repercussions for yourself. It is a federal felony to hire a foreigner without employment authorization (even if the person is not an illegal immigrant) - this means, if you are convicted, you can end up in prison, lose your property, pay fines and of course you will be deported. If you have been paying them and did not disclose this to the IRS, both you and they are liable for tax fraud, in addition. This is very serious. You should hire a lawyer if you want to deal with them legally.
I wonder where does people come up with such detailed info from. federal felony, lose your property , wow!!!! Even big corps hiring illegals getting away with just fines. Law Enforcement do not worry about the immigration status of the person. I know 2 incidents where my friends got in to car accidents with illegals . the other parties had no license, No id and No insurance. In both cases the cops weren't even bothered about their immigration status even though it was clear that they are illegals. cops gave ticket in some pseudo name they gave and they got away with no trace left.
________
Washington Dispensaries

Last edited by s_r_e_e; 09-15-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sad to here

Hello Mr Thunderbold,

I can imagine your situation. Feel sorry to know that your 8 month old baby was beaten badly. Going to cops will definitely help you. She will be punished. Probably, she will be deported back to india and ban to USA. But, it may lead to put into you troubles for hiring illegal immigrant, for paying cash and not reporting to IRS. They may even review your tax returns for the past 3 years.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2008
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello guys,
Sorry for this non-immigration related post. We have this sudden, tragic
..... one, please learn from our mistakes and closely monitor your child’s safety every day.
For the love of God, there are things that you go and post on the Internet to get people's opinion and there are things that you don't! Unlike some others here, I don't want to too judgmental (something we, as a people, excel at) as everyones situation and experiences in life are different. But here is what you need to do ASAP. I mean right now and today: get out of your office if you have to but go out and do it right now.

1. Go talk to an immigrant attorney immediately. You need to assess your liabilities in this situation. If you are at fault, you need to improvise a defense strategy and IMMIGRATION VOICE IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THIS!!!!

2. Immediately talk to a criminal defense attorney. The fact that you know about child abuse and have not reported it yet is a SERIOUS, SERIOUS, SERIOUS,....., SERIOUS issue. It varies from state to state but not reporting child abuse may or may not be a crime IF you an establish that you took immediate steps to protect the child from the abuser. Again, this depends on how zealous the prosecutor and child protection services are.

Depending on how your attorney advises you, proceed to inform the authorities.

Trust me man, I have done projects with state and county level agencies and this is serious stuff and you need to act now to get in the driving seat. Inaction is NOT an option.

Best of luck and may God protect every child out there.

-Better_Days

Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
arbhaat will become famous soon enough arbhaat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thant's just a substance-less argument guys.
The question is whom do you want to be dictating the terms of your life? - (illegal) Nanny, your (legal) immigrant status in the foreign country or your own set of values/principles/views? take a pick.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Days View Post
For the love of God, there are things that you go and post on the Internet to get people's opinion and there are things that you don't! Unlike some others here, I don't want to too judgmental (something we, as a people, excel at) as everyones situation and experiences in life are different. But here is what you need to do ASAP. I mean right now and today: get out of your office if you have to but go out and do it right now.

1. Go talk to an immigrant attorney immediately. You need to assess your liabilities in this situation. If you are at fault, you need to improvise a defense strategy and IMMIGRATION VOICE IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THIS!!!!

2. Immediately talk to a criminal defense attorney. The fact that you know about child abuse and have not reported it yet is a SERIOUS, SERIOUS, SERIOUS,....., SERIOUS issue. It varies from state to state but not reporting child abuse may or may not be a crime IF you an establish that you took immediate steps to protect the child from the abuser. Again, this depends on how zealous the prosecutor and child protection services are.

Depending on how your attorney advises you, proceed to inform the authorities.

Trust me man, I have done projects with state and county level agencies and this is serious stuff and you need to act now to get in the driving seat. Inaction is NOT an option.

Best of luck and may God protect every child out there.

-Better_Days
Well said. the person needs to know his liabilities. He has to go to proper authorities. IV forum is not the place.

This person can help the community by posting warnings on IV and other blogs including sulekha or other places - cn also post the video on internet and share it , if he wishes to

Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_r_e_e View Post
I wonder where does people come up with such detailed info from. federal felony, lose your property , wow!!!! Even big corps hiring illegals getting away with just fines. Law Enforcement do not worry about the immigration status of the person. I know 2 incidents where my friends got in to car accidents with illegals . the other parties had no license, No id and No insurance. In both cases the cops weren't even bothered about their immigration status even though it was clear that they are illegals. cops gave ticket in some pseudo name they gave and they got away with no trace left.
Yes. Thats a little strong vocabulary. But he is not completely incorrect.

When cops caught illegals, what you have mentioned is correct. The situation is very different when they see a legal, non-immigrant commiting a very small violation. You will see a more strong vocabulary from them which you could not get meaning in any dictionary. Of course, you can get out of this, but not by yourself, but after paying a lot to a lawyer.

Last edited by insbaby; 11-11-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold jamesbond007 is a splendid one to behold

Go to the authorities and report her.
H1 is a temporary situation. Your family is permanent. Protect your family.

Do not let the fear of social services coming to check on you from stopping to do the right thing. They have a job to do; they will not take away a child unless they really believe that the child is not being cared for. They do not want to add to the strain of foster care system which is already under stress.

Law enforcement agencies also monitor sites like IV, Rajiv Khanna etc. And they can get a subpoena against IV to get your information if they suspect that a crime has taken place.

Everyone: please please ... You should not only check for the cleanliness and background of the staff (and facility) who take care of your kid. Also make sure that their way of taking care of your kid meets your expectation. Do not make any assumptions. Ask pointed questions and get certain answers.

Also... I feel that there is more to the story than what the OP has said in his one and only posting.
I think he/she already went past the point to think "what will happen to me" when they hired someone knowing that she was not legally eligible to work/provide that service.
If not them reporting that nanny, her next victim will report her. I strongly believe that, if she is used to that way of raising a kid, she will hit other kids in the future. And they will be exposed at that point when the authorities grill her to spill the beans on her previous employers.

I am also afraid that the OP might take matters into his/her own by making an emotional decision; and that would put him in hot water.

chanduv: I read your post about how you hired a nanny based on your parent's monitoring her behaviour around your kid when they were visiting you. I hope that was not the only criteria for you to choose her. Keep in mind that a person's behaviour when they are alone speaks of their true nature. They can behave nice and good when they have company; but do they continue to be the same when there is no adult around them?
Definitely install a nanny cam that you/yourwife can keep checking from work.

Sorry if I sound like I am picking on you Chandu. But when I read your post, I felt that there might be other families who have done the same thing as you did.

Last edited by jamesbond007; 11-11-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added the last line.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond007 View Post
Go to the authorities and report her.
H1 is a temporary situation. Your family is permanent. Protect your family.

Do not let the fear of social services coming to check on you from stopping to do the right thing. They have a job to do; they will not take away a child unless they really believe that the child is not being cared for. They do not want to add to the strain of foster care system which is already under stress.

Law enforcement agencies also monitor sites like IV, Rajiv Khanna etc. And they can get a subpoena against IV to get your information if they suspect that a crime has taken place.

Everyone: please please ... You should not only check for the cleanliness and background of the staff (and facility) who take care of your kid. Also make sure that their way of taking care of your kid meets your expectation. Do not make any assumptions. Ask pointed questions and get certain answers.

Also... I feel that there is more to the story than what the OP has said in his one and only posting.
I think he/she already went past the point to think "what will happen to me" when they hired someone knowing that she was not legally eligible to work/provide that service.
If not them reporting that nanny, her next victim will report her. I strongly believe that, if she is used to that way of raising a kid, she will hit other kids in the future. And they will be exposed at that point when the authorities grill her to spill the beans on her previous employers.

I am also afraid that the OP might take matters into his/her own by making an emotional decision; and that would put him in hot water.

chanduv: I read your post about how you hired a nanny based on your parent's monitoring her behaviour around your kid when they were visiting you. I hope that was not the only criteria for you to choose her. Keep in mind that a person's behaviour when they are alone speaks of their true nature. They can behave nice and good when they have company; but do they continue to be the same when there is no adult around them?
Definitely install a nanny cam that you/yourwife can keep checking from work.

Sorry if I sound like I am picking on you Chandu. But when I read your post, I felt that there might be other families who have done the same thing as you did.
After going through this thread - I just spoke to my wife about installing a nannycam though she strongly feels it may not be necessary because she has developed some kind of friendship with the nanny, but I will definitely install a nannycam.