Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 05-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jbg19802 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Husband's parents denied Visitor Visa, please help

Hi,

I am a natural born U.S. Citizen. My husband and I got married last year in August (2014) so he is now a green card holder. We are having a wedding this August (2015) because our wedding last year was very small. His parents applied for a visitor visa to come for the wedding from Rwanda and were denied. We sent a letter of invitation, a letter to the consulate, sponsor documents from my parents (who make around $90,000 per year), and already purchased round-trip plane tickets. We also sent my passport, my husband's passport, and my parents tax information and birth certificates. The reason they were denied (we believe) is because all three of their children live in the United States and because they recently moved back to Rwanda from Burkina Faso, so they don't yet own property. However, his father has a job at a university there.

The conversation went like this:
Consulate: Why do you want to go to the U.S.?
Parents: Our son's wedding.

Consulate: How long are you going to spend there?
Parents: 25 days

Consulate: Have you ever traveled abroad?
Parents:Yes, to Switzerland, France, Burundi, Burkina Faso, and Ivory Coast.

Consulate: What is your job?
Parents:Teacher and seamstress

Consulate: Do you have other kids?
Parents:3 kids, they all live in the U.S.

Consulate: You are not eligible for a visa because of your current situation.
Parents: What does that mean?

Consulate: It means that I can't give you a visa and you can come back when your situation gets better.

The entire thing only lasted a few minutes, and the woman didn't even look at the documentation we had sent. She seemed very annoyed and they weren't given a chance to explain their case or anything.

They plan to reapply but we don't know how to prove that they will return back to Rwanda, even though they have no intention to stay in the U.S. I have contacted my representatives in Missouri and they said they would contact the consulate on the day of their next interview and ask that his parents have 2-3 minutes to present their case. However, they basically said that since all of their children live here and they don't own property in Rwanda, there is no way they will be approved. We are also trying to contact the Ambassador of Rwanda in the U.S. Does anyone have any other advice???? Please help. This is the first of their children to get married and we really want them to be here for it, and my husband hasn't seen his parents in 8 years. Please we really need help.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried contacting your local representative and/or Senator's office? Call and write to them and explain the issue in detail just like you did here. They usually have a caseworker that can assist to find out more information. At the end of the day it is a DOS decision but contacting your local representatives may help

Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes, I have contacted my district's representative and both senator's for my state. They said they would write a letter to the consulate in Rwanda, but that it may help and it may not. Though it is worth a try. We are still trying to figure out how we can prove that his parents are going to return to Rwanda when their visa expires when they don't have any children there and don't own property there. Thanks for the advice, though!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg19802 View Post
Yes, I have contacted my district's representative and both senator's for my state. They said they would write a letter to the consulate in Rwanda, but that it may help and it may not. Though it is worth a try. We are still trying to figure out how we can prove that his parents are going to return to Rwanda when their visa expires when they don't have any children there and don't own property there. Thanks for the advice, though!
One of my friend had similar situation. He was a greencard holder and his parents were denied visitor visa multiple times. He was the only child and he was in USA. They did own a home though in home country. My friend got in touch with local congressman who said that they will contact US consulate in home country and request them to hear their case. Eventually they did got visa. They also did not intend to stay in USA and its been 9 yrs now and they still havent moved to USA. Hopefully, similar thing may happen in your case too.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sugnani is on a distinguished road
Default Keep on trying.

It happened to my sister & brother in law..they rejected them 2 times, but 3rd time they got it.

All the best!!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yeah I really hope they get it this time because it is expensive to keep applying again and again. Does anyone have ideas of how to show "strong country ties" other than property and children?

Old 05-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sugnani is on a distinguished road

If he has his parents or other loved one who are dependent on him. A notarized affidavit will help.- Affidavit should explain that he will not become a public charge, and respect all laws of US, and will return back to his country after few weeks.