Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
ocpmachine is a jewel in the rough ocpmachine is a jewel in the rough ocpmachine is a jewel in the rough ocpmachine is a jewel in the rough
Default Carribean cruise immigration process.

Guys,

I just came back from Carribean cruise and i just wanted to update on the immigration process we went through.

We took 7-day western Carribean cruise to/from Miami,Florida which stops at Roaton-Honduras, Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico, none of the ports require a visitor/transit visa for non-US citizens.

Embarkation process was easy, Cruise staff will verify your passport for valid I-94 and valid USA re-entry document(Visa, AP etc.).
While returning(dis-embarkation), after collecting your luggage you go through customs and immigration counters similar to airport immigration setup, Since we were using a AP, the immigration officer sent us to a secondary inspection room where they made us fill a new I-94 form and later gave us a new I-94, the whole process took about 45-60 minutes and no additional questions were asked, so make sure you have sufficient time to get to the airport if you have a returning flight the same day. I also noticed that people with citizenships,greencard and visa were cleared quickly.

So make sure you carry all immigration related paperwork(I485/I140 receipt, AP's etc.) for your next cruise, you will go through the
same checking as you go through at any port of entry.

PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Ocpmach
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold Sachin_Stock is a splendid one to behold

No need for visa for Alaskan cruises. However, if the cruise departs from Canada(Junnaeu), then you might need Canadian visa. However getting Canadian visitor visa is just a matter of 2-3 hours MAX. Not more!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/05/2006
Chargeability
:
Poland
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/31/2007
Compare
glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future
Default hawai - advised not to go there on H-1B with AP in hand

Hello,
A year ago I was going to go to Hawai to get married there. I had both, the AP and valid H-1B visa. However, my attorney told me that they do have immigration check in Hawai on both ways, although it was not always the case. When you leave Hawai, back to the main land, they "always" suppose to check you. According to my attorney this is due to the fact that in the past they have been many people smuggled into Hawai, and then they had a free pass to the mainland. My attorney told me to avoid such a travel. She said the law was not clear and H-1B visa only allowed one to enter to "work" in the state or nearby, where the employer is located. She did not want me to try to enter to Hawai or Mainland on AP. So if one tries to enter Hawai, or is in Hawai and tries to come back to state where his employer is located, ie NY, that could be a question. Also, she said, that on one occasion one of her clients tried to enter Alaska on H-1B, that was issued to a employer from CA, and, they denied entry based on this. I am not sure if that's true, but my attorney seems to be very very cautious about this and I have my full trust in her as she has taken care of my case in a very professional way so far. As such, after about 15-minute conversation with my attorney, I decided not to travel to Hawai.

At the end she said, "You see, this is how crazy the law is. If you had a visitor visa, no problem, go wherever you want in the U.S. including Alaska, Hawai etc, but since you have a H-1B, which allows you to work for your employer, you should not do that. Do not put yourself on an unnecessary risk. Go to FL, CA or any other place on the mainland or leave the country for vacation and have great time in a different country's tropical climate."

This is just my 5 cents.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by glus View Post
Hello,
A year ago I was going to go to Hawai to get married there. I had both, the AP and valid H-1B visa. ....................................
eat time in a different country's tropical climate."

This is just my 5 cents.
Glus,
I went to Hawaii with my spouse in 2008. Nowhere in the journey did I encounter a situation where our Immigration status was asked for.

My 1 cent.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/05/2006
Chargeability
:
Poland
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/31/2007
Compare
glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future

Hello,
Yes, I said I did not go there. I was only advised so I don't know what really happens when you travel. Thanx.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hello,
Yes, I said I did not go there. I was only advised so I don't know what really happens when you travel. Thanx.
Thanks Buddy. I was just pointing out that either your attorney was "wrong" or "we got lucky". I have a friend who was on H1B and he had already visited Hawaii when we were planning to. I talked to him and he did not face immigration either.

Anybody who has real experience of facing immigration people while travelling from Mainland USA to Hawaii please post.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all

Mr. Glus,
Are you telling us that you cannot travel to Hawaii even if you have a valid visa to enter the United States? Can we go to our home countries? Maybe Canada? Carribean for some summer vacation? No? Can we go to the grocery store?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a valid H1B visa stamped or AP, you can travel to hawaii and puerto rico without any problems. Regarding immigration check, both destinations do not have a formal immigration check for every passenger. However, I have personally experienced immigration officers rendomly asking passengers for documents just before boarding the return flight to mainland. I used to work on a project in san juan, puerto rico and travel back to mainland every week. Sometimes there was no immigration check, sometimes there were immigration officers on the jetboard of the aircraft randomly asking for residency status/documents.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gmail has a spectacular aura about gmail has a spectacular aura about gmail has a spectacular aura about

This is absolutely crazy. I live in Hawaii. There is no immigration check for domestic flights.

Remind me a joke. Remember to exchange your US dollar to Hawaiian dollar upon landing...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ngupta is on a distinguished road
Default New I-94 issued after return from Alaska cruise ??

Hi all

Thanks guys! This thread is very informative. I am planning to go on cruise to Alaska this summer roundtrip from Alaska. The ship (Sapphire Princess) will stop by in Victoria, British Colombia for few hours so I will need the Canadian visa. I am currently on H-1B (no AP) with a valid unexpired H-1B stamp and unexpired I-94 card. In this thread, its mentioned that there will be immigration checks going out and coming back in Seattle.

My question is that will I get a new I-94 card when I go through immigration upon returning to Seattle from the cruise?

Also, at what point and when will they take my current I-94 or will I keep my current I-94 only? Will they take my current I-94 when i go through immigration before starting the cruise?

My H-1B is up for renewal soon and I have told the lawyers to dont file the renewal till I am back from the cruise as I might get a new I-94. So, this information is vital for me. So, please reply soon.

Thanks again :-)

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2012
Compare
LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold

They will take I-94 while boarding and give you a new I-94 when you come back to AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngupta View Post
Hi all

Thanks guys! This thread is very informative. I am planning to go on cruise to Alaska this summer roundtrip from Alaska. The ship (Sapphire Princess) will stop by in Victoria, British Colombia for few hours so I will need the Canadian visa. I am currently on H-1B (no AP) with a valid unexpired H-1B stamp and unexpired I-94 card. In this thread, its mentioned that there will be immigration checks going out and coming back in Seattle.

My question is that will I get a new I-94 card when I go through immigration upon returning to Seattle from the cruise?

Thanks again :-)

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2012
Compare
LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hello,

Your attorney seems to be wrong.

I personally have traveled Alaska and Hawaii with expired visa on the passport. You even do not need to have passports just driving licence is enough.

It is like travelling to any other domestic flight.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts thankgod is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imigrait View Post
Glus,
I went to Hawaii with my spouse in 2008. Nowhere in the journey did I encounter a situation where our Immigration status was asked for.

My 1 cent.

Thats true. For Alasaka and Hawaii, we dont need to carry any passport.

We dont need to carry our visa in return .

Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute dxldad has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws, Indian citizens with ten year multiple entry visa to US, want to go on a cruise. They want to leave from Maryland. Here is what I found:
Bermuda: Need UK visa. Too much expensive and a lot of hassle.
Bahamas: Visa is very easy and you could mail the passport to get it.
Grand Turk Islands: No need for a visa
Carribean: Need visa, but not as bad as Bermuda

Check Visa requirements here, this is a good site. Welcome to SkyTeam (skyteam.com)
And miles to go before I sleep.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ngupta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTown View Post
They will take I-94 while boarding and give you a new I-94 when you come back to AK.
Thanks LondonTown. You mean when I come back to Seattle port from AK, i'll get a new I-94. This was very helpful. Atleast now I can plan the cruise. Been looking fwd to it..