Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prinive is a jewel in the rough prinive is a jewel in the rough prinive is a jewel in the rough
Default Immigrant's life in 'wonderland' turns tragic..

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NTPAGECAROUSEL

OSSINING - At 2:30 p.m. April 3, 27-year-old Ganesh Santhanakrishnan of Ossining drove a rental car to the middle of the Tappan Zee Bridge, activated the hazard lights, calmly walked up to the railing and plunged to his death in the Hudson River.

It was the end of a journey to America that was full of promise.

Armed with a freshly minted engineering degree from a prestigious college in India, Santhanakrishnan arrived at the University of Pittsburgh in the fall of 2002 to pursue graduate degrees in computer science.

"To my son, America was a wonderland, a dreamland, where scholars are rewarded for their work, and he wanted to fulfill his ambition to receive a doctorate and make a career for himself," his inconsolable mother, Radha Santhanakrishnan, cried over the phone from Chennai, India. "But none of that came true for him."

Many of his friends from his undergraduate college days at the National Institute of Technology in Trichy, India, remember him as extremely studious, but fun-loving.

"He loved to read Frederick Forsyth novels, and had the most infectious laugh," said Girishankar Gurumurthy, 27, who works for Texas Instruments in Bangalore, India.

These descriptions, however, bear little resemblance to what neighbors in Ossining witnessed during the past nine months. Santhanakrishnan seemed to descend into a mental abyss, howling into the night, sleeping in a storage shed. He had lost an extreme amount of weight. Gurumurthy himself viewed a recent picture of his old friend and said he hardly could recognize the man he knew in college.

Santhanakrishnan, who had no criminal record, was arrested in March. After a week in jail, he was evaluated in Westchester Medical Center's psychiatric unit, then released - the day before he committed suicide.

After graduating with a master's in computer science in spring 2005, Santhanakrishnan spent another year pursuing a Ph.D. in the Information Sciences Department at Pittsburgh.

"Ganesh had several technical publications," said his academic adviser, Paul Munro. "He had published significantly more than most students at his stage, and he was generally acknowledged to be quite bright and very hardworking."

Though the university would not comment on why Santhanakrishnan didn't complete his doctoral program, his father, Santhanakrishnan Rajaraman, said he had stopped receiving funding. That's when he took a computer-related job near Ossining, his father said.

Santhanakrishnan moved into 32 Old Albany Post Road in October 2006 after answering an online ad for a housemate. Aron Schor, 29, lived with Santhanakrishnan for the first six months.

"He was a little geeky, Asperger's-like (referring to a condition characterized by difficulties in social interaction), but no red flags," Schor said. "We never really connected."

Schor remembers Santhanakrishnan as having turned up the thermostat to 85 degrees on the day he moved in. "I thought that was rather rude. But he told us he was sensitive to cold and would be willing to pay a larger share of the bill."

Every morning Santhanakrishnan would put on a button-down shirt and khaki pants and sling a laptop on his shoulder as he headed off to work, Schor said. But neither his family nor his friends knew the name of the company he worked for.

Things seemed to have been going fine, at least until Schor, who works in customer service at NBC Sports, moved out of the apartment in March 2007.

"When I left, he was polite and said I could call him if I ever needed anything," said Schor, who now lives in Stamford, Conn.

During the summer, Santhanakrishnan applied for a position at Ajel Technologies, an Edison, N.J., information technology services company.

"He was offered a job around August," said Sandhya Dantuluri, Ajel's human resources manager. "But he never showed up," and the company rescinded the offer after a waiting period, the resources manager said.

That was around the time neighbors started noticing changes in Santhanakrishnan's behavior.

"It was late summer, and I would have my windows open, and hear him screaming and swearing loudly. He was clearly mad at someone," said Dianna Diloreto, who lived across the street at the time. "He did that almost every night."

Many of Santhanakrishnan's outbursts were witnessed by workers at a car-repair shop, Corvettes of Westchester, directly opposite the curving, narrow road from the two-story, white-and-red stucco home where Santhanakrishnan had now lived for a year.

"Initially it was like, he was just weird, like someone from another culture. He wouldn't get some of the things that he was being told," said Joe Bellantoni, 36, who works part time at the shop. "One time he came here asking if I could fix the window on his car, and I asked him to go to a body shop because we don't fix cars like his. But he just kept saying, 'But you fix cars.' "

By October, Santhanakrishnan vacated his apartment, telling neighbors he had lost his job.

He started renting a "12x12 concrete bunker" storage space off an alley behind the building for $200 a month to store his belongings, said Chris Hlavatovic, a tenant at the multifamily dwelling. He also was permitted to use the driveway to park his car.

But unbeknownst to anyone in the building, or the landlord, Santhanakrishnan started living in the bunker.

Back in India, Santhanakrishnan's parents suspected he was going through a rough patch with the job search and urged him to return there. He forbade his parents from calling him again.

In November, Santhanakrishnan's father asked his sister, who was visiting the United States from India, to check up on his son.

That's when the family learned of his living arrangements. The aunt persuaded Santhanakrishnan to talk with his father, with whom he had not been in touch since May. That was the last time the two spoke.

"We tried to convince him to go back to India, but he didn't want to hear it," said his cousin, 35-year-old Balaraman Venkataraman of East Brunswick, N.J. "He was afraid that, if he went back, he may not be able to come back again. My mother offered him money, which he didn't accept. He was determined to find a job here and become successful."

Though Venkataraman acknowledged his cousin seemed depressed, he said he wasn't alarmed.

Did he ask him to see a doctor?

"No. How can you ask a normal person to do that? He was a state rank holder in school," Venkataraman said. "He was having a hard time with his job search, and we thought he would feel better when he found one."

But to neighbors, he seemed to be getting worse.

"He would stand by the side of the road and chase down cars," Bellantoni said. "He would clap loudly in the middle of the night."

Santhanakrishnan was arrested March 11, accused of breaking into the Ossining home's boiler room, where he had been using the slop sink, police said. He was charged with criminal mischief and trespass, and was held in the Westchester County jail with bail set at $500. After spending time in the jail's psychiatric ward, he was sent to the medical center's mental health unit on the same Valhalla campus.

Two weeks later, on April 2, Santhanakrishnan was discharged from the hospital and returned to Ossining to get his belongings, as he had been asked to leave the premises by his landlord.

Upon reaching the apartment, Santhanakrishnan realized he didn't have the keys to his car, still parked in the driveway. He walked to the car-repair shop to ask whether someone could help him open it, and to use the phone.

"The boy at the shop didn't want him there, he was afraid, and he didn't let him use the phone," Bellantoni said. "Ganesh then walked back and flagged down a cab."

He killed himself the next day, leaving behind many questions about what could have been done to prevent the tragedy.

"I should have done more to get him out of that place," Venkataraman said. "And I don't know why the hospital didn't try to contact any of his friends or relatives before releasing him."

A Westchester Medical Center spokesman said it was the hospital's policy not to comment on any patient treated in the psych ward.

Santhanakrishnan's 2001 gray Hyundai - with a 2008 inspection sticker - was still parked in the driveway on Sunday. A side window displayed an New York Police Department sticker that announced: "The Greatest Detectives in the World," and a U.S. flag lay above the back seat.

Santhanakrishnan's parents are awaiting their son's body, en route to India.

"My son has suffered a lot, both mentally and physically," Radha Santhanakrishnan said. "I want his body to be brought home, and I want to make the ceremonial offerings to his spirit of all the foods I was not able to feed him all these years. I have only one son, and I have now lost him."

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2008804120344
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prinive is a jewel in the rough prinive is a jewel in the rough prinive is a jewel in the rough

He has published over a dozen scientific publications in reputed journals (do a google search, if you are curious).

Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/23/2008
Compare
spbpsg is a jewel in the rough spbpsg is a jewel in the rough spbpsg is a jewel in the rough

Lonely life in US is very depressing. Failures in life are common everywhere but not able to share it and get moral support from friends makes it worse. The pressure is more if you are in USA (dreamland) and back home in india your image is like successful IT professional.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
illusions is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

man this is sad... it's tough living by your self in a foreign country and trying to make it...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/1999
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/1999
Compare
zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of

I think there are a lot of immigration under-currents in this story.
I bet part of the issue was the fact that times and future was looking very bleak to student population in past 2 yrs!
Ajel technologies offered him a job??? It's a probably a h1b shop, and that adds to stress tremendously..
His living in store room was probably desperate move to conserve monies to be able to survive legally while looking for legal jobs!
If folks dig enough.. I bet this is another case of immigration process driving people mad "Literally"

Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/18/2006
Compare
cool_guy_onnet1 can only hope to improve
Default god I am sitting here -almost crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusions View Post
man this is sad... it's tough living by your self in a foreign country and trying to make it...
I would love to send some money if possible. I work in WHite Plains, Westchester- 10 minutes from Ossining and hope god takes care of his soul and his family.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute
Default very very sad..

Quote:
I also crying...i can understand his pain....I am looking for job from last three months....also very depressed...

dont know what to say..

Our desi people ..they dont help each other..

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of
Default Who knows?

May be you are right but connecting the dots ourselves is guesswork. We don't know all the facts and his full medical history. What we know is that a promising son of helpless parents so far away has passed away. May his soul rest in peace and may God give enough courage and strength to his family and friends to accept what they can't change.

Maverick_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCool View Post
I think there are a lot of immigration under-currents in this story.
I bet part of the issue was the fact that times and future was looking very bleak to student population in past 2 yrs!
Ajel technologies offered him a job??? It's a probably a h1b shop, and that adds to stress tremendously..
His living in store room was probably desperate move to conserve monies to be able to survive legally while looking for legal jobs!
If folks dig enough.. I bet this is another case of immigration process driving people mad "Literally"

Old 04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael chertoff View Post
I also crying...i can understand his pain....I am looking for job from last three months....also very depressed...

dont know what to say..

i'd beg to differ, there are a lot of ppl who help out each other, being in this forum is one eg. We do collectively support one another in ones tough times, mostly by things we write that gives solace, and at times even more.

I've been in your type of position where i had no job for over a month, and it was depressing... and hard cos of the situation we are in.

Michael chertoff, where are you currently looking? if it's NYC area i can probably help out, as i know plenty of recruters that might be able to help.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_guy_onnet1 View Post
I would love to send some money if possible. I work in WHite Plains, Westchester- 10 minutes from Ossining and hope god takes care of his soul and his family.
I used to work in tarrytown, right after the tapanzee the very first exit... used to cross it everyday... If there was anything i could do i would.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please check your PM

Quote:
i'd beg to differ, there are a lot of ppl who help out each other, being in this forum is one eg. We do collectively support one another in ones tough times, mostly by things we write that gives solace, and at times even more.

I've been in your type of position where i had no job for over a month, and it was depressing... and hard cos of the situation we are in.

Michael chertoff, where are you currently looking? if it's NYC area i can probably help out, as i know plenty of recruters that might be able to help.
Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

dont know what to say..

Hang in there, please let us know which filed you work in and if you have any area preference, work experience etc.

In most of the cases, one has to extend/raise his/her hand; you don't know how many hands are out there who will grab yours and pull you out. Give it a try. If one doesn’t speak up he/she has to suffer.

Regards,

GCCovet

Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default send me your resume

Quote:

dont know what to say..

What job you are looking for, send me your resume. You need to speak up if you need help.

What is your current visa status???

And if you are looking for no cost room let me know.

Last edited by Munna Bhai; 04-24-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts

Quote:

dont know what to say..

I am sorry you are out of job. But please never let your depression take control of you. Also do not sit idle and alone.

Take time to talk to your parents, siblings and friends. Open up your mind and talk it out. Otherwise it will be really difficult to manage you and your thoughts.

Just a brotherly advice.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default Refugee_New, you don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee_New View Post
I am sorry you are out of job. But please never let your depression take control of you. Also do not sit idle and alone.

Take time to talk to your parents, siblings and friends. Open up your mind and talk it out. Otherwise it will be really difficult to manage you and your thoughts.

Just a brotherly advice.
Refugee_New, you don't understand....he is out of job and that is causing more depression. Talking will not help much, action will help. Instead of giving him brotherly advise, help him with possible leads.