Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of
Default PA Drivers License

FYI

Harrisburg PENNDOT explicitly stated that unless one has a valid visa for 1 year or more or has a Greencard; PA law does not allow them to renew a driver’s license.

I just got a confirmation on this.

Has anyone renewed their license using 485 receipt/EAD/approved I140 in PA?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bunty717 is on a distinguished road
Default We've renewed DL

Yes, we've renewed our DL in PA. They said the same thing but they also said
if you get a letter from the Employer that you've a project in PA and You'll be working in PA and with them(Employer) for One year they'll renew your license with EAD.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold

i think you are wrong , as they have to issue you licence till the date of expiry of your visa, Please go to another DL center and confirm.

Did they refuse you in black and white?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of

Bunty which DMV did you go too?

yes, they do renew license till the end of your visa but what if your visa is expiring in a year and you plan to be on EAD.

I am sure there would be few thousands of them.

I was told to contact the local state rep for help!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

It appears DL laws are getting changed in every state to make life hell for EAD users. We have a similar (actually worser for now) situation in Michigan.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough
Default That will work ....

A letter from my employer stating a future work assignment in PA worked for me 6 months back. They gave me a license for 3 years, even though my H1 is NOT valid at that time. Even I know, few others did the same and got their licenses .... This worked even for H4 candidates tooo !!!!!

I went to Bensalem, PA DMV center ......

Hope this helps ... and Good luck !!!

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hope I am not pushing you guys.

Can one of you post the wordings of the employment letter about future employment clause?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bunty717 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdasara View Post
Bunty which DMV did you go too?

yes, they do renew license till the end of your visa but what if your visa is expiring in a year and you plan to be on EAD.

I am sure there would be few thousands of them.

I was told to contact the local state rep for help!
This is how it worked for us, we got a letter from the Employer that I've a project in PA for a long term and also I'll be with the Employer for atleast 1 Yr, and showed them my EAD. They issued DL till my EAD expiration date(ie.. for one yr).

Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough
Default Sample format of the Letter from Employer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdasara View Post
Hope I am not pushing you guys.

Can one of you post the wordings of the employment letter about future employment clause?

Thanks
Date

To,
The officer at DMV
Penn DOT (Pennsylvania department of transportation)

Sub: Employment Verification for first name, last name

This is to verify that Mr. First & last name, is currently working as an employee of company name since start date. Mr/Mrs/Ms. Last name will continue to work at our client site located in Client location and the expected to work at that site till some end date

Mr/Mrs/Ms. First & Last name and his wife Mr/Mrs/Ms. Spouse’s full name are currently residing at Street Address , City, PA ZIP and will stay in State of Pennsylvania till end date in PA

Please consider this Verification letter during his/her License process. Please direct further inquiries to my office.

Sincerely,
CEO/CIO
Date

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/28/2004
Compare
green_world will become famous soon enough green_world will become famous soon enough

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf

check page 4 section for Applicants for adjustment of status

 Social Security Card, or letter from SSA indicating that SSA did not
make a decision yet, or SSA rejection letter
 2 proofs of residency,
 Immigration documentation indicating status, and
 One of the following:
• Employment Authorization Document I-688B or I-766
• Passport

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renew online

I did have that problem when I was on F1. I got my learner's permit by going to a different DMV. So go to a different DMV.

Coming to a person with EAD, I did renew my license with any problem. He didn't even ask any documetns. Go online to fill out the license renewal form and they will send you a letter to take to the nearest DMV. You should get the renewal license in 5 mins. Maybe this procedure will work only for renewals

Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold
Default TN - 1 Visa Holder < 1 Year

I do not know whether they changed the rule very recently or not. However, last year when I was on a TN-1 visa (issued for 1 year), they gave me a PA license even though it was for less than a year by the time I went to the DMV. I live in PA.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of

From the document posted by green_world, the rules say explicitly that for an H1B, a letter of employment would be enough and for adjustment of status, expiration date of the license would be 1 year after the date of application. Nowhere does it say that the expiration of license has anything to do with expiration date of visa or EAD, unlike for F1 visa where it clearly states that duration of the license will be the same as that of the visa.
I-485 delivered to NSC 8 August 2007
Receipted at TSC 2 October 2007

Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of
Default I-94

In PA, among DMV officers most of them know only I-94. So they look for the expire date in I-94 and if it is valid more than a year then they extend the license. Otherwise they simply say no to it.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks everyone!

Here I was hoping to start a business in PA with EAD but have to worry about things like license renewal..