Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

View Poll Results: Can you help people with stay in DC for the rally?
I can provide and/or arrange accomodation in the DC area (I'm a local) 12 66.67%
I can arrange accomodation in the DC area (I'm not a local) 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sept 18th Rally:Volunteer to provide accomodation and/or transporation

Lot of people will be traveling to DC and this is an opportunity for members living in DC and areas around DC to help our members by helping them stay in DC for the rally.

This will save on Hotel costs for the rally and will encourage more people to come for the rally. If you are willing to be a part of this generous proposal, pls sign up on this thread. Members will contact you via PMs.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

volunteers??

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/23/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
johnamit is on a distinguished road
Default Yes I can offer

I will be offering accomodations for some guests, will disccus in Aug 18th meeting.

there are so many desi in DC metro area, we should expect lot of volunteers.
PD: Sep 05
I140 :AD May 06
I485: RD 7/2/7

Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2006
Compare
shivaz90 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Accomodations - Fund Raising

Folks,

Lets treat the accomodations and Travel for the Rally be a fund raising component.

Instead of trying to spend $75 - $100/night for a Hotel, why don't we accomodate as much IV members as possible in our homes during that one day? Lets pool that money and give it back to IV.

Here's my plan:

Let all IV members in VA/DC/MD area be host sponsors for a day. Let the Host sponsor charge $100/night per person or a family for accomodation and travel.
So if assuming that there are 100 sponsors in DC metro area and each sponsor family sponsor 1 guest per night - then the fund collected would be $10,000.00.

Thats easy money that would have gone to Corporate Hotels and Cab expenses.

We all know that the Immigrants are frugal and want to save money - why not save it for a good cause? Not only are we saving money - we will also get to know people more closely.

Think about it and share your thoughts!

Let me be the first sponsor - I can easily accomodate 1 person at my place for a day. I live in Arlington right across Washington National Airport , so its going to be an easy commute.

Keep this in mind - each and every Presidential Candidate are raising funds to become the president of this country and the means they have used to raise funds may look mean, ridiculous and cheap - but its towards thier ultimate goal. I know one of the candidates raises funds by giving away his mom's Pie recipe for $20.00.

Think about it again and lets join in.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2006
Compare
Default IV Members - Volunteer and Fund Raising

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Lot of people will be traveling to DC and this is an opportunity for members living in DC and areas around DC to help our members by helping them stay in DC for the rally.

This will save on Hotel costs for the rally and will encourage more people to come for the rally. If you are willing to be a part of this generous proposal, pls sign up on this thread. Members will contact you via PMs.
Pappu -

Please float this proposal if IV agrees to it.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12507

Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold

This sounds good. If not $100 maybe $50-$60 would be good.
Great thinking.
BUMPING
I 140 approved
I 485 Date received July/20/2007
RD July/20/2007
ND Aug/17/2007
FP Oct/5/2007
EAD/AP - Received
GC interview date Nov/2009
GC approved Feb/17/2010

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2008
Compare
ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts
Default good idea

Either there could be a charge or
provide atleast the free shelter for those who are flying all the way from different places. Let them not be additionally burdened with extra shelter fee.

Or for those who cannot make it to the rally in the near by locations of washington, let them provide the shelter to others who are going to attend the rally.

Last edited by ras; 08-19-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please look at this thread

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12441

People are willing to offer all sorts of help... from sponsoring airfare to accomodation arrangements. Please submit your vote!
2) Flowers campaign, SJ rally, Youtube Video Campaign, Attended DC Rally & co-ordinated Airfare Sponsorships, Gathered and mailed over 300 letters in Admin Fix campaign
PD: Aug 2006. I-485: July, August 2007 @ TSC. I-485 approved on June 15, 2011

Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default poll

added a poll so people can volunteer

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Compare
pady is on a distinguished road
Default I can provide accommadation, I live in DC area

I can provide accommadation, I live in DC area

Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold

I like idea... Instead of spending money for Hotel, lets stay at DC member and contribute half of money what you would have spent in hotel to IV..

DC members, please take a poll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaz90 View Post
Folks,

Lets treat the accomodations and Travel for the Rally be a fund raising component.

Instead of trying to spend $75 - $100/night for a Hotel, why don't we accomodate as much IV members as possible in our homes during that one day? Lets pool that money and give it back to IV.

Here's my plan:

Let all IV members in VA/DC/MD area be host sponsors for a day. Let the Host sponsor charge $100/night per person or a family for accomodation and travel.
So if assuming that there are 100 sponsors in DC metro area and each sponsor family sponsor 1 guest per night - then the fund collected would be $10,000.00.

We all know that the Immigrants are frugal and want to save money - why not save it for a good cause? Not only are we saving money - we will also get to know people more closely.

Let me be the first sponsor - I can easily accomodate 1 person at my place for a day. I live in Arlington right across Washington National Airport , so its going to be an easy commute.

Keep this in mind - each and every Presidential Candidate are raising funds to become the president of this country and the means they have used to raise funds may look mean, ridiculous and cheap - but its towards thier ultimate goal. I know one of the candidates raises funds by giving away his mom's Pie recipe for $20.00.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2006
Compare
Default Lets treat this as voluntary donations

Quote:
Folks,

Here's my plan:

Folks,

Looks like finally this idea is getting some traction. When I discussed this in yesterday's meeting for the VA/DC/MD members , there were some scepticism and hesitations around taking money from members, even though it is for a good cause. I understand that this method of fund raising can make people think in different ways.

So just so people dont misunderstand or create a cause for confusion - lets treat this as purely a voluntary donation efforts. If the guest feels that the money otherwise spent on Hotel can go towards IV - please donate the proceedings to IV - but there will be no compulsions on how much each should donate. I hate to dilute the fund raising efforts - but keeping the overall goal in mind - lets become active hosts first and then fund raisers if need be.

Cheers,
Siva.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Folks,

Looks like finally this idea is getting some traction. When I discussed this in yesterday's meeting for the VA/DC/MD members , there were some scepticism and hesitations around taking money from members, even though it is for a good cause. I understand that this method of fund raising can make people think in different ways.

So just so people dont misunderstand or create a cause for confusion - lets treat this as purely a voluntary donation efforts. If the guest feels that the money otherwise spent on Hotel can go towards IV - please donate the proceedings to IV - but there will be no compulsions on how much each should donate. I hate to dilute the fund raising efforts - but keeping the overall goal in mind - lets become active hosts first and then fund raisers if need be.

Cheers,
Siva.
Siva,

Excellent effort! Thanks for pointing out the intentions behind the effort blatantly. Its is very easy to be misunderstood on the internet even though our intentions are noble, as every one has a different vantage point. I am happy that people are understanding your noble intention and are reacting positively. DC area members/volunteers, please let Siva know if you can host members coming from out of town.

I am assuming you are going to capture the willing hosts in a spreadsheet.

I will not be able to host any one as I live in an apartment and I already have more family members sharing the apartment.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

I have merged both threads on the same topic.
Let us just focus on getting people accommodations and contributions will come later . When people see the community feeling and the strength they all have when we all come together for the rally, contributions will come. Let people come and see for themselves what we can do together as a community. Let us facilitate that process and help each other in any way we can. Providing accommodation will help that. Thanks to everyone who has signed up. A volunteer will prepare a list and on another thread we can start a list of people who need accommodation. We can then connect the two and help everyone.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2006
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
I have merged both threads on the same topic.
Let us just focus on getting people accommodations and contributions will come later . When people see the community feeling and the strength they all have when we all come together for the rally, contributions will come. Let people come and see for themselves what we can do together as a community. Let us facilitate that process and help each other in any way we can. Providing accommodation will help that. Thanks to everyone who has signed up. A volunteer will prepare a list and on another thread we can start a list of people who need accommodation. We can then connect the two and help everyone.
Pappu,

Good that these threads are merged. Let me take the lead in organizing the Volunteer accomodation efforts. I will start collecting the Host sponsor list and then match it up with the guest list.

VA/DC/MD members -

Please ping me if you are ready to host a guest in your place.

Thanks,
Siva.