Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts

Dual Intent:

Is a concept that ImmigrationOfficers should be basing their decision to grant a visa. If applicant is applying for a "dual-intent" visa then ImmigrationOfficer (at the consulate) CANNOT deny the visa if he determines that the applicant might be a potential immigrant.

If the visa type is not Dual-Intent then the officer is supposed to reject the application if he determines that the proofs submitted by the applicant do not show strong ties to the home country and he suspects that the applicant could be a potential "immigrant".

This is why F1 and B1/B2 (Visitors) are denied visa if applicant does not show sufficient strong ties to home country.
__________________
$100 contribution

EB3 India (PD Sep 2006).
I-140 approved. I-485 (....yep. Pending peding pending)
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Blog Entries: 3
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default There have been reports

in the media that US Universities have had shortage of students in science and technology areas.

Now this blow to the top MBA programs in attracting foreign paying students was not probably anticipated by those who added the H1B clause to the stimulus bill.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr_76 View Post
Wasn't this always the case? F1 was not a immigration "intent" visa whereas H1-B is.

That is the reason why F1 visa interviews are stringent requiring students to "PROOVE" that they have sufficient ties to homeland and would come back? I am sure all students applying for F1 visa would have rote-learned the answer to the question - "What do you intent after completing your masters?"
Those were old times. Since a couple of years F1 visa have been far easier than H1B.
__________________
G Guy from above the 49th parallel
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

You know it never surprises me what all the anti-immigration camp will try and tack on to how H1Bs/Foreign Workers are "taking our jobs" etc.

Take this case in point. I go to Wachovia bank at 4 PM one Monday evening to access my locker. Guess what! Wachovia branches in our area run only from 9.30 to 3.30, thats SIX hours only on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They run for 8 hours on Thursday and Friday and on Saturday they are open for about 4 hours.

Then people complain that banks are shutting down??? Ok granted that there was a housing meltdown blah blah blah, but now that Wells Fargo has taken you over, should you not be competing strong and hard to come back strongly? Consider CommerceBank (TD Bank now) being open ALL 7 days and LONG hours. HOW do you stay open THREE DAYS a week for just SIX hours each day?????

The anti-immigrants should stop complaining and start educating people on how to COMPETE to stay in business. Sometimes is it not better to look for the problem WITHIN?

But of course why would you when the Government hands you money as part of a "bailout" each time you fail?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2008
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute Better_Days has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blessing in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsal View Post

Now this blow to the top MBA programs in attracting foreign paying students was not probably anticipated by those who added the H1B clause to the stimulus bill.
Please don't take me for being a hearless soul but this might be a blessing in the long run. If you can't land a job on Wall Street after getting an MBA from Yale\NYU etc then what is the point of spending all that money on getting an MBA from a US university? This could lead to a drop in enrollments which will be reflected in the quality of students graduating and that wil have an impact on a University's ranking.

On second thought, I may be reading too much into it
__________________
Member SoCal Chapter
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin13 View Post
Dual intent is an United States immigration law concept. It generally refers to the fact that certain U.S. ........
You should have included the source link along with your copy-paste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_intent
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju View Post
I don't want to use an F word on Hira but I am really disappointed with his argument.
He repeats the same things like a parrot, time and again on each of his appearance on TV.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
Blog Entries: 1
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold
Default And the debate goes on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2006 View Post
I don't want to use an F word on Hira but I am really disappointed with his argument.
He repeats the same things like a parrot, time and again on each of his appearance on TV.

Just in case you are interested, here is some more exchange on this subject continuing today outside of CNBC.

<Vivek Wadhwa> wrote

Ron, why are you so shocked at the xenophobia which you are unleashing? You knew the discussion on CNBC was about 50 MBA students having their offers rescinded. CNBC didn’t mislead you as you claim. They told us in advance what the topic was and what we would be discussing. How could they have discussed permanent immigration in this short segment?

You know that once a foreign student accepts an offer and starts the visa process, they lose other options. And you know that when offers are rescinded, this is a life changing event for those students. Their families used their savings or got loans to send them here and these students had hoped that they would earn enough to pay off this debt. Foreign students don't get a second chance to look for jobs and must return home immediately. I have received emails from some who are depressed and suicidal. Yes, I know you can recite equally depressing stories about Americans. I am not saying that a foreigner should get preference over an American. But I am saying that the one with the superior skills should be allowed to get the job they deserve. Let the employers decide. This is a free country, after all.

How can you make statements on TV that "Bank of America did not hire American workers first and/or were going to replace American workers with those MBA’s”. How do you know this? You are an academic representing a top university. How can you categorically state that “bank has a policy of replacing American workers with cheap H1B’s”? This is bizarre, my friend. If I was a B of A exec, I would have filed a lawsuit against RIT for your making this claim.

It is true that some skilled engineers on H1B visas with many years experience get paid somewhat less than comparable American workers. But so what? You’re going to throw out all foreign students in revenge? And what evidence do you have that entry level MBA’s hired by companies like B of A make less than Americans? I know for a fact that entry-level salaries are generally consistent and foreign students DON’T get paid less than Americans. How do I know this? Because I have been a VP at a top investment bank and a tech exec. And I know many students who have received such job offers. And yes, I did hire H1B’s. (I know you are trying to portray this as unpatriotic).

As far as your statements about supporting skilled immigration, you are playing the same games as the anti-immigrant extremists who are your fans and followers. You want all sorts of restrictions on this. I also noted that you were remarkably silent on that misleading Associated Press story…and you have been remarkably silent on the incessant attacks which your followers have unleashed on me because of the CNBC interview. I find this shocking.

Vivek

From: Ron Hira
Date: Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: IMMIGRATION: CNBC on layoffs: should foreigners be fired first?

To:
This is so bizarre I'm shocked. I can only assume there are two factors

at play. First, the highly misleading phrase "foreign born" used by the

CNBC commentators, and second ignorance of the policy debates about high-skill immigration to the US.

I had avoided responding to the earlier ad hominem attacks on this august listserv, and I will continue to do so.

As I have repeatedly stated publicly and consistently I support increased permanent immigration to the US. See for example, this exchange in the WSJ that I had with Bob Hoffman, the chief spokesperson for CompeteAmerica the coalition lobbying for increases in the H-1B cap.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117388283731536825.html

Here is just one relevant excerpt from one of my responses:

"America should have policies to encourage the best and brightest to come to the U.S. and stay. In order to meet this goal, we need to fix the H-1B and L-1 guest-worker programs as well as our Employment Based Greencard program. Groups like Immigration Voice, which represents foreign guest workers who want to stay in the U.S. permanently, have some good ideas on how to improve the green card process. But we should not confuse or conflate a guest-worker program, which the H-1B and L-1 visas are, with immigration."

You can read the whole thing if you are so inclined.

Further, if you actually watch the CNBC video

(http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1056896654&play=1), you'll see at the bottom of the screen it says at one point: "HIRA: I'M FOR MORE PERMANENT IMMIGRATION". The commentators had every opportunity to discuss the problems associated with permanent immigration but they chose not to.

And, lest you think that I am all words and no action, I would note that I have also been actively involved with IEEE-USA (as a member and a VP and board member), which has advocated increases in the legal permanent resident (greencard) quotas. See for example, congressional testimony by Lee Colby, an IEEE-USA member: "The Need for Green Cards for Highly Skilled Workers" http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/061208.pdf

Relevant excerpts:

To this end, IEEE-USA urges Congress to put aside longstanding partisan differences and take immediate steps to:

1. Increase the availability of permanent, employment-based (EB) visas and streamline the
immigrant admissions (Green Card) process in order to make these visas the preferred
path to legal permanent resident status and full citizenship for foreign professionals in

STEM fields,
2. Allow foreign students who earn advanced degrees in STEM fields from U.S. colleges and universities to transition directly from temporary student visas to legal permanent resident (Green Card) status, IEEE-USA has jointly written letters with the Semiconductor Industry Association supporting Rep. Lofgren's legislation for more greencards.

See: http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/051608.pdf

And: http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/051408.pdf

I am happy to engage in a rational discussion with anyone about U.S. high-skill immigration policy. There is much wrong with it, and a lot of serious analysis and policy design work still needs to be done.

Cheers,

Ron

__________________
"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute

I am doing an MS in Financial Engineering. Majority of my classmates are Foreign Students. The most critical things we are learning now are immunization, risk management and pricing derivatives. Skills which are so hugely in demand now and which does not have many qualified people. These are the things which will pull the banking sector out of the mess they are in right now. Recently a grant was given to ICE to set up a market for CDS. The toxic assets which are worth Zero if there is no price discovery and which is draining the capital from all the banks. Price discovery will only happen when these are traded and it will only be traded when you have traders and quants who can price them.

Now there are many other companies in Europe who are also going to set up an exchange for these CDS etc. As I said more than half my class are foreign students and will not be able to get jobs here. They will all make a bee line to Europe. So since there are no qualified people here most of the banks will have their CDS/derivatives desk's moved to Europe thus eliminating thousands of jobs in the US (traders/quants/salesmen/support/it).

Rationing brilliance is the stupidest idea possible and the greatest country on earth is unwittingly doing this!!
__________________
EB-2 Dec 2005
I-140 March 2006
I-485-Filed July 3
RD- Sep 4th 2007
EAD- Sep 17th 2007
FP- Sep 28th
AP- Oct 1st

First application:
EB-2 Aug 2002-Employer Shut Down

GREENED AUG 5th 2010
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Singh is on a distinguished road
Default forgeign investors

Rich foreigners invest money into the US Banks.
Rich foreigners become poor loosing the money in US stocks.

is equivalent to

Hard earned money is put into the US universities for stuides
End of day, you are kicked with nothing.

I don't understand when foreigners are rescuing the US banks why can't foreigners work who really contribute to their economy. Anyway the Senator who contributed to TARP bill only made a political statement rather than how much it will really affect. BofA has .03% or less workers on h1b, i don't understand how it will dispace the amercian tax payers. Are we not paying taxes?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Bookmarks