Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munna Bhai View Post
Refugee_New, you don't understand....he is out of job and that is causing more depression. Talking will not help much, action will help. Instead of giving him brotherly advise, help him with possible leads.

Thanks Munna Bhai. Please check your PM
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee_New View Post
I am sorry you are out of job. But please never let your depression take control of you. Also do not sit idle and alone.

Take time to talk to your parents, siblings and friends. Open up your mind and talk it out. Otherwise it will be really difficult to manage you and your thoughts.

Just a brotherly advice.
Thank you very much

Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts Refugee_New is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael chertoff View Post
I also crying...i can understand his pain....I am looking for job from last three months....also very depressed...

dont know what to say..

Our desi people ..they dont help each other..
Two people that i met during 2001 job market.

Both of them had a high paying IT jobs, nice cars, paying more than $1200/month rent and decent amount of money in savings account. Everything changed within a month.

One guy had a son (5th grader) and new born girl baby. This guy worked as a scientific research at Kalpakkam nuclear power plant. Another guy had new born baby at that time.

After surviving for 3 to 4 months, they both sent their wives and kids back to India. One guy joined me as a roommate and another one rented an ugly basement.

My roommate slowly started getting into depression and started feeling that he was a failure. He started working odd jobs like working at 7/11, UPS store clerk etc. Most of the time he was in depression mood and not concentrating on anything. In addition to that he was investing in stocks too. His stock took a big hit(Enron) and he almost wiped off all his savings. We gave so much advice and asked him to go back to India. But he didn't. Cause he was in mid 40's and he didn't want go as a failure. Then he found a 7/11 job somewhere and left us without telling us. No update from him so far.

Another guy who lost all his savings, new car and sent back his family etc but he stayed strong. He eventually found a job after a year and a half. Now he is leading a very good life.

So this is my advice to anyone who is under depression. Be strong and control your mind, body and soul.

Last edited by Refugee_New; 04-24-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of

Michael chertoff

I won't say stay "strong" in depression as I can understand how little that helps. What helps is support (and it's hard to reach out for support when depressed, but at least try not to push the people in your life away...as lesson learned in this guy's story where he isolated), action (again hard to do anything, hence you need people to see it and offer support, there is no shame at all in accepting help of people), and often times, medical help. we indians don't believe in medical help for depression but there is no shame in it and it can help a lot in dealing with depression to allow you to get back on your feet and fight... I've suffered with depression in my life, so I understand.

you have a lot of people offering their support to you here itself...let them help in any way they can. although I myself am stuck in a job I'm not very happy with, i will offer any help I can, you can PM me. I pray for your well being.

Last edited by ps57002; 04-24-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default World is Wide and dont limit your views and chocies

It works out for some here and other not..why bother..there are other greener pastures..there's Dubai, there is Cannada, Australia...

Remember that when life pushes you around there is something you got to do or there is something you got to learn..as simple as learning a new skill, reading a good motivational book..something on the positive side..get involved in charity/service activities..things of that nature..
there comes your attitude..these are the times you got to standup and look at various options and this is not the time you retrieve into your shell and sympathize with yourself...

If you see all the gods and God men none of them had a easy life..each one of thier life is a lesson that we need to follow...its good time and bad times..all a cycle..lets remember that lets not care too much about what the world talks about us..lets do what is right for us..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-02-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-02-2007
Compare
IV2007 will become famous soon enough IV2007 will become famous soon enough
Default Michael Chertoff - Let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael chertoff View Post
I also crying...i can understand his pain....I am looking for job from last three months....also very depressed...

dont know what to say..

Our desi people ..they dont help each other..
Micheal ,

What kind of jobs are you looking at, send me your resume. I hope you are into IT & searching for one.

What is your current visa status? I possibly might be able to help you.

For Ganesh, may his soul rest in peace. Let god give his parents the strength to survive their rest of their lives without their only son.
I-485,EAD,AP - Filed Concurrently (NSC)
RD: 07/02/07 & ND: FP Date : 09/26/07
EAD/AP: Approved
Join today @ Michigan IV Chapter: http://groups.google.com/group/michigan4iv?hl=en

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
bala50 will become famous soon enough

Most of us ( Non Immigrants waiting for GC) would have felt depressed at some point. This whole journey is definitely depressing as there is no light at end of the tunnel.
Sent letters to President for Admin Fix Campaign
Please Support Visa Recapture Campaign

Last edited by bala50; 04-24-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of
Default Meditate and do Yoga practice

When you find yourself not comfortable, talk with friends, meditate, keep your self busy, go out and play games for atleast one hour a day, visit Church or Temple or Mosque or practice Yoga.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani_6 View Post
It works out for some here and other not..why bother..there are other greener pastures..there's Dubai, there is Cannada, Australia...

Remember that when life pushes you around there is something you got to do or there is something you got to learn..as simple as learning a new skill, reading a good motivational book..something on the positive side..get involved in charity/service activities..things of that nature..
there comes your attitude..these are the times you got to standup and look at various options and this is not the time you retrieve into your shell and sympathize with yourself...

If you see all the gods and God men none of them had a easy life..each one of thier life is a lesson that we need to follow...its good time and bad times..all a cycle..lets remember that lets not care too much about what the world talks about us..lets do what is right for us..

Well said.

God Rest His Soul in Peace and give strength to his family to face this tough time. If his parents need any financial help we should arrange for it.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala50 View Post
Most of us ( Non Immigrants waiting for GC) would have felt depressed at some point. This whole journey is definitely depressing as there is no light at end of the tunnel. Even though we are highly educated and skilled we have the feeling that we would be branded a "Failure" , if we return to our home country without GC.
yes, everyone feels down at some point. life is too short to be worried abt certain things out ur control. why do u think we would be a failure? is getting GC ur measure of success.. man enjoy ur life as it is..today

if u start worrying till u get the GC then when u get a GC u will start worrying abt something else.

if u lose a job, u can find one worst come worst u can go back home.. so dont judge everything by GC.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of
Default I doubt it

I beg to differ here. GC or citizenship doesn't mean everything to everyone. I personally know quite a few people who have happily/voluntarily gone back to their home country (i.e., India) soon after their graduation without even converting their F-1 to H-1B. There are some folks who chose to work here for a while and then went back - without even applying for GC. My neighbor has been on H-1B for 7+ years and hasn't filed for his GC even though his company is all for it. Are these folks failures? Not at all. They did what they thought was correct. All of them have decent jobs and quality of life.

Maverick_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala50 View Post
Most of us ( Non Immigrants waiting for GC) would have felt depressed at some point. This whole journey is definitely depressing as there is no light at end of the tunnel. Even though we are highly educated and skilled we have the feeling that we would be branded a "Failure" , if we return to our home country without GC.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

The story is sad indeed.

We need to grow our state chapters and use the friendships of state chapters as an avenue for networking. Networking should not be for jobs but extend towards bringing IV families closer.

This will also keep our IV greencard members within IV once they get greencards. IV association can get more powerful once we add a networking opportunity feature in state chapters. It is upto individual state chapter members how they would like to grow it and make it beneficial for all committed IV members.

IV is not just about greencards. It is a platform where members can voice their opinions and unite for a cause. It is an organization where members help each other and help themselves by being a part of ths movement. It should not stop at getting a greencard.

Last edited by pappu; 04-24-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough
Default Its sad.. its bull shit that he had mental issues

I hate when the media and the rest gang up and tag someone psycho. He was simply under depression, which is a normal human characteristic. His career was going no where. A super bright young fella who was only molested by the system, put to jail and branded as mentally unstable..just think what would have happened to the poor soul how he felt when he was put in jail and then mental hospital..i think that was it..he couldn't take it anymore.. well its v sad..but in this country if ur alone and struggling...ur bound to get sick..no wonder why ppl here are addicted to so many pills.. also after sep 11, people treat you strangely..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine someone with a drive to succeed , caliber, qualification and a desire live a normal life. And all of the sudden he find himself in the situation he cannot control. He would feel like banging his head into the wall , pushed to the brink on madness. Some fall of the cliff other barely manage to stay afloat.
Thats the story of us all in the USA, unfortunately. May god bless his soul!

Impede by the

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps57002 View Post
Michael chertoff

I won't say stay "strong" in depression as I can understand how little that helps. What helps is support (and it's hard to reach out for support when depressed, but at least try not to push the people in your life away...as lesson learned in this guy's story where he isolated), action (again hard to do anything, hence you need people to see it and offer support, there is no shame at all in accepting help of people), and often times, medical help. we indians don't believe in medical help for depression but there is no shame in it and it can help a lot in dealing with depression to allow you to get back on your feet and fight... I've suffered with depression in my life, so I understand.

you have a lot of people offering their support to you here itself...let them help in any way they can. although I myself am stuck in a job I'm not very happy with, i will offer any help I can, you can PM me. I pray for your well being.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of
Default Inside the Black Hole and Beyond

Rashmi Bansal who herself went thru depression wrote an excellent post on depression after a similar news.
Inside the Black Hole and Beyond
- Rashmi Bansal

Every act of life, from the morning toothbrush to the friend at dinner, became an effort. I hated the night when I couldn't sleep and I hated the day because it went toward night.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of The Great Gatsby

Astronomers define the Black Hole as a region where matter collapses into an object so massive and dense that nothing, not even light, can escape its gravitational pull. Depression is something like that.
For more - http://youthcurry.blogspot.com/2006/...en-to-you.html