Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute

The text of S.2839 has not been posted yet in the Congress Library.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/15/2007
Compare
vivekm1309 is just really nice vivekm1309 is just really nice vivekm1309 is just really nice vivekm1309 is just really nice
Default Latest status of the Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV000 View Post
The text of S.2839 has not been posted yet in the Congress Library.
S.2839
Title: A bill to provide emergency relief for United States businesses and industries currently employing temporary foreign workers and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Cornyn, John [TX] (introduced 4/10/2008) Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 4/10/2008 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2839

"This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills go first to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills never make it out of committee. Keep in mind that sometimes the text of one bill is incorporated into another bill, and in those cases the original bill, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned"

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 04-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/committee.xpd?id=SSJU4

It certainly has a formidable set of opponents. This is the immigration subcommittee. Sessions, Durbin and Grassley might certainly be a handful. If it makes out, it would be short of a miracle.
LC - 12/04, I-140: 07/07 (pending...) I-485:08/07
Waiting....

Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
bskrishna has a spectacular aura about bskrishna has a spectacular aura about bskrishna has a spectacular aura about
Default Nice opportunity...

If this bill has language to address issues raised by Grasley recently, there is no reason why this cannot go forward. As a community we should watch out for this and throw our weight behind this one, if it comes out of the judiciary committee. This could be our only legislative opportunity this election year.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/24/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
Dakota Newfie is a glorious beacon of light Dakota Newfie is a glorious beacon of light Dakota Newfie is a glorious beacon of light Dakota Newfie is a glorious beacon of light Dakota Newfie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Am I missing something here?

From what I understand from the discussions, this bill would recapture visa numbers for us if only after we pay $1500 a pop!? Are we missing the point here! This bill is just another way to get money from the LEGAL immigrant community without anything in return. Weren't we promised increased efficiency at USCIS in exchange for the massive increase in filing fees last year? I haven't seen that yet! Now, they want to charge us 1500 bucks to recapture a visa number that they loss by their inefficiency!? Just think of the implications of this: if this bill passes, the can reap more money from us either having us perpetually pay the high fees for EAD's etc. or selling us a green card (and that's what it is)! I have to hand it to them though; I don't think there is another organization in the free world that can collect more money through inefficiency than the USCIS!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Newfie View Post
From what I understand from the discussions, this bill would recapture visa numbers for us if only after we pay $1500 a pop!? Are we missing the point here! This bill is just another way to get money from the LEGAL immigrant community without anything in return. Weren't we promised increased efficiency at USCIS in exchange for the massive increase in filing fees last year? I haven't seen that yet! Now, they want to charge us 1500 bucks to recapture a visa number that they loss by their inefficiency!? Just think of the implications of this: if this bill passes, the can reap more money from us either having us perpetually pay the high fees for EAD's etc. or selling us a green card (and that's what it is)! I have to hand it to them though; I don't think there is another organization in the free world that can collect more money through inefficiency than the USCIS!
you are right ..and no we are not missing a point here. one way or the other money will be sucked out. if this passes (which I doubt), then atleast we will get some mental peace and then we can go about our lives. many of us are stuck mentally here ..since we are here for 7-8 years and kids are / have started education here. for eg the great tax rebates that we will get in one hand will simply go out from the other hand (EAD and AP fees).

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
bala50 will become famous soon enough

USCIS will not call this as their "inefficiency". They would qualify this as "lack of resources" due to low filing fee. This is the reason for the increase in filing fee last year. USCIS efficiency is supposed to improve by 2010. I 'm not supporting USCIS , just looking at this issue from their perspective. So let us all wholeheartedly support this bill and pray for its passage.

Also part of this $1500 may be ear marked to develop STEM education in US and prevent visa abuse, so we cannot contest that.

Quote:
Sent letters to President for Admin Fix Campaign
Please Support Visa Recapture Campaign

Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

I don't think the $1500 is number that USCIS came up with. The credit for this one should probably stay with the members of the congress. Perhaps they see the fee as a way of making the bill more acceptable. They can say that this money will go into educating the youth in science and math.

I read somewhere that USCIS doesn't get to use all the application fees. In fact, a large portion of it goes into funding other projects of the DHS. It appears that a lot of the inefficiency at the USCIS is probably due to older system, processes etc. which haven't change to due to lack of funds.

Quote:

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
sands_14 is a jewel in the rough sands_14 is a jewel in the rough sands_14 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up economy

This will act as a stimulus to the economy.
218,000 new GC holders.1500usd each.
Plus 50% of GC holders 109,000 buy houses.at least this will add a little stimulus to the economy and at the same time provide stability to 218,000 ppl.
Few of the new GC holders say 10,000 open their own businesses,which adds further....Could work good for us as well as the country.HOPE this works...

Old 04-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
From what I understand from the discussions, this bill would recapture visa numbers for us if only after we pay $1500 a pop!? Are we missing the point here! This bill is just another way to get money from the LEGAL immigrant community without anything in return.
People may want the green card for job mobility, better earning prospects or for minimizing taxes using the green card test while leaving the US.

Paying the fee for a visa then is an economic decision that each one can make according to his/her situation. Better than the situation today where there is no alternative but to wait it out.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akred View Post
People may want the green card for job mobility, better earning prospects or for minimizing taxes using the green card test while leaving the US.

Paying the fee for a visa then is an economic decision that each one can make according to his/her situation. Better than the situation today where there is no alternative but to wait it out.
green card for minimizing taxes while leaving the US - what is this ?
can you throw some light on this please.

Contributed $ 300.00 till now.

Sent letters to Senators and Congress(wo)men.

Took part in the DC Rally.

Participated in the Letter to the President Campaign.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
BEC_fog is on a distinguished road
Default Recapture and Visa Wastage?

It is a well know fact that USCIS does not issue/use all 140K EB Immigrant visas. The reasons may or may not be USCIS inefficiency, diversion of visa application fees to other DHS programs, lack of resources at USCIS.

On one hand, there would be tens of thousands of visa numbers wasted every year and on the other hand we would have to pay $1500 for a single visa recapture for the proposed 218K visa from previous years. The visa recapture is a good option but if there is still wastage happening at the same time, then it is just as if they added a $1500 extra fee for the same thing. A provision to recapture/rollover the unused visa numbers (from the past and yes, sadly from the present year and future years...) to the future is what we need. And yes, we would somehow pay the $1500 for that visa.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplease View Post
green card for minimizing taxes while leaving the US - what is this ?
can you throw some light on this please.
If you have a green card, you can elect to file taxes as a US resident even if you spend most of your time outside the US for a few years. Filing as a US resident means you can use all available deductions, exemptions and progressive tax rates. This is useful in minimizing taxes as it allows you spread out withdrawals from retirement plans (IRAs, 401Ks) over a few years potentially putting you in a lower tax bracket for each year.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future eastwest has a brilliant future
Default Luncheon for Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaalaa View Post
I guess I shall postpone my plans for that roadster for a few more months, if I get the GC. Its a small amount, put it on MasterCard!

Peace of mind is priceless!

Please forward my entire details to the senator guess most of us would pool in enough money to throw in an appreciation luncheon at the Senate!
Apart from all the discussions, Can we REALLY sponsor the Luncheon for the Senate and House, we will simply put a banner as "Legal Employment based Green card seekers" Or something like that.

I am not sure if we can do that but it is worth exploring. That way we can start a BUZZ and then followed by IV to campaign.

Thanks