Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Compare
abhaykul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadaba
number crunchers please review

does this mean that the 50k was subtracted from the 140k for EB categories? if so does this mean that now they will become part of eb3 category...but it will help eb1/2 categories in the future (altho a bigger backlog at eb3 level)?

yabadaba,
No ... Schedule A workers were give 50k unused visas over the stipulated 140K.

What I want to say is: May be now we will see some solid efforts to tame retrogression for Schedule A workers. In doing so we may also get some relief if we join hands with them. Schedule A sponsors are more devout when it comes to fighting retrogression over their hitec counterparts as we had seen when S 1932 was hot.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 07-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

I think the university lobby already knows this - that is how the F4 visa and self-petition provisions got into CIR. What we need to do is get them directly involved .. lots of young professors, especially in science and engineering are themselves on H1-B visas and are stuck in retrogression just like us.The US stands to loose a lot more if these people leave than your average hi-tech worker.They are responsible not only for future research, but also for educating american citizens in fields critical for the US' long-term competitiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa
This applies to everyone of us on here who have MASTER's Degrees from US Universities. Maybe we should write letters to our respective Deans, explaining our situations. Maybe we should let them know that the US Master's Degree isin't worth the paper it is printed on if:

a) After doing that degree you get/move to a job of your choice, because of visa constraints. &
b) If a person who has done a Master's in the US has absolutely NO advantage over someone who does not, as opposed to a PhD, who has a MAJOR advantage.

If after spending close to $30-50K for a Master's degree in the US, if you enjoy NO priviliges towards getting a Permanent residency in the country, then maybe there is no point in doing an MS in the states.

I am not trying to divide and rule here. If the master's people get exempt from the quota system, then that leaves more numbers for the non-US masters people.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default dixie

looks like dixie and i have posted the exact same number of times...i just noticed that today i m a senior member.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest we initiate a campaign called "PROTECT THE BRAIN". That is protect the talent and knowledge of immigrants,
and facilitate Permanent residency for legal talented immigrants.

I agree that we should send lawmakers something big, bulky, and noticeable.
Something that sits in their offices, is personalised with different colors and notes giving the same message. I feel that books or cds can just be unattractive and not a big topic of discussion amongst the staff. (Ultimately it has to be something unusual to create curiosity and attract attention and discussion)
So we send them helmets with our degree certificates/ message from IV pasted on it.
Helmets will say "protect brains". Save the country from losing legal high tech workers.

http://www.bhsi.org/cheapies.htm

If you need helmets for a campaign, or perhaps just for a large family, we routinely see Sunday newspaper ads in our area for helmets certified to the CPSC standard for between $10 and $20. Toys 'R' Us has them every day for $8 to $25, and Target has them in the same range, starting at $7.14 and as low as $6.39 to $5.79 when on sale. Walmart has Bell brand youth, adult and toddler helmets starting at $7.14

Some local bike shops will shave their prices for a campaign to encourage more walk-in business. So you may find good helmets for your program at a local discounter or bike shop.
There are also good deals from mail order suppliers with ads in bicycle magazines or on the Internet. Since the CPSC standard became law in 1999, any helmets you buy should have the sticker inside certifying to it.

If you are seeking bids for a large order, or do not have local sources of cheap helmets, there are alternatives:

These helmets can be recycled and given away to charity or for lower income programs supporting kids.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjoey
I suggest we initiate a campaign called "PROTECT THE BRAIN". That is protect the talent and knowledge of immigrants,

Something that sits in their offices, is personalised with different colors and notes giving the same message. I feel that books or cds can just be unattractive and not a big topic of discussion amongst the staff. (Ultimately it has to be something unusual to create curiosity and attract attention and discussion)
So we send them helmets with our degree certificates/ message from IV pasted on it.
Helmets will say "protect brains". Save the country from losing legal high tech workers.

If you need helmets for a campaign, or perhaps just for a large family, we routinely see Sunday newspaper ads in our area for helmets certified to the CPSC standard for between $10 and $20. Toys 'R' Us has them every day for $8 to $25, and Target has them in the same range, starting at $7.14 and as low as $6.39 to $5.79 when on sale. Walmart has Bell brand youth, adult and toddler helmets starting at $7.14

Some local bike shops will shave their prices for a campaign to encourage more walk-in business. So you may find good helmets for your program at a local discounter or bike shop.
There are also good deals from mail order suppliers with ads in bicycle magazines or on the Internet. Since the CPSC standard became law in 1999, any helmets you buy should have the sticker inside certifying to it.

If you are seeking bids for a large order, or do not have local sources of cheap helmets, there are alternatives:

These helmets can be recycled and given away to charity or for lower income programs supporting kids.
I LIKE this one!! "Protect Trained Brains"

I think when the situation arises when someone is disbarred from even APPLYING for the final stage of their Green card, inspite of having worked here for several years AND in some cases having Advanced Degrees FROM THE US, it is time the Law makers took notice and changed things.

Last edited by eb3_nepa; 07-18-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
rbharol will become famous soon enough rbharol will become famous soon enough

Lets gather ideas, then have a poll... The winning idea shall be the one we will follow.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
god_bless_you is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjoey

This idea is good.We can send helmets with a slogan "Protect Trained Technical Brains" along with Helmets we can send photo copies of Degrees,articles,thesis,contributions and personal stories.

why don't we shoot news media with photo copies of Degrees,articles,thesis,contributions and personal stories in mass!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
pdakwala will become famous soon enough pdakwala will become famous soon enough
Default Tomorrow is the last day to post your idea

Tomorrow is the last day to post your ideas on this thread. We are planning to close this thread tomorrow and then finalize the idea. So people if you have any wonderfull ideas please do not wait. Please post your idea or ideas asap.

Cheers

Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
carbon is on a distinguished road
Default Great Idea !

I have a GREAT idea ! how about sending Bubble head of Albert Einstein
with your name and degree stamped on it ?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of

Whatever we decide to send should be accompanied by a foreward by some famous person in this country who himself came here as an immigrant. We should consider folks like Sabeer Bhatia(hotmail) /Kanwal Reikhi ( considered the Bhism Pitamah of Indian Americans)/Desh Deshpande( Sycamore)/ Atiq Raza's ( AMD) or some alilke's to write this foreward introducing the topic to the lawmakers and making strong recommendations.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Sweden
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold

Einstein is probably the most famous US immigrant. Where would USA been today if he would have been stuck in a green card line and not able to stay here or switch job?

Otherwise you can always start the "Hug your legal non-resident non-immigrant skilled professional worker with advanced degrees and full tax responsibility" campaign, where each h1b worker takes a photo of when he gets hugged by a US citizen... These photo can be sent in to Washington via IV.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Visual image is 1000 times better than 1000 lines

One Visual image is 1000 times better than 1000 lines:

OUR END IN MIND SHOULD MAKE THE CONGRESSMEN AND LAWMAKERS TO REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF PASSING THE SKIL BILL

Degree certificate, helmet or brain will go to bin if they do not read what it says in few seconds. First it should take only few seconds for them to look at it. Second it should attract them. Third it should make them feel that it is related to passing something in favor of highly skilled immigrants(SKIL). Four they should feel "YES, US needs to pass SKIL bill".

Whoever is good at photoshop can come up with some graphics and we can send these graphics to media and congressmen. My idea:

First Image: 2006.
1. Show US and rest of the world map as two seperate items.
2. Show a big glass legal highly skilled immigrant tank with full of brains(image) and with little orifice in US map.
3. Trickle of brains drops into US land in the form of GC through the little orifice.
3. Show sun/google/etc brought up by immigrants in US as small buildings.
4. Close the tank with a valve naming it as retrogression.

Next Image:

Show eagles and vultues over US map picking up the brains and dropping into rest of the world.

Next Image: 2020:
1.Show US image as it is with no brains in the pond.
2. Show Europe/others with big new buildings, flourshing economy, smiliy face.

PART TWO:

Same images but somehow show SKIL bill turing the the retrogression valve clockwise and brains flows into US soil.
Show in 2020 US with all big sky scrappers,flourshing economy and smily face and in commanding position to the rest of world in technology.

Add a small fact sheet table indicating the importance of skilled immigrants and their contributions at the end of the graphics. Fill the entire chart with light American flag background. THIS FACT TABLE SHOULD STRONGLY SUPPORT THE GRAPHIC IMAGE.

Brick worked out because there is nothing to read from it. It implied to build the wall and it had american flag indicating it is sent by citizens. Neither the congressmen nor anyother fellows would have read even if the citizens had sent interesting article with facts. So do not send big bound books with valuable data.

NOTE: There should not be anything negative or implying too. Nothing threatening. If there are any negatives in my sentence formation, correct it for positive.

Last edited by GCBy3000; 07-19-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Lets Send 99 cent Calculators !!

I think we are technology professionals and we should symbolize our selves
as technological progress in America.

Lets send Calculators with our names on it and a message:
"We are technological progress in America - Vote for SKIL bill"

Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How?

yes we are technical professionals. But put yourselves in congresmen shoes for a while and think what you would be thinking if you receive a calclulator with your name.

How can one co-relate this with SKIL bill and pass that bill. Honestly I were a congressmen and receive it, I will keep it aside and move on with other work.

We need to send them something which should make them REALIZE the need of supporting the SKIL bill. But what & how ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon
I think we are technology professionals and we should symbolize our selves
as technological progress in America.

Lets send Calculators with our names on it and a message:
"We are technological progress in America - Vote for SKIL bill"

Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default A model air plane with just one wing !

If I am a congressman I would be puzzled if I receive a model air plane
with just one wing attached!

Here is my idea:
1. Congress man receives a box. Opens it.
2. Looks at the air plane (put small american flag on the plane)with one wing.
3. The detached wing is in the box which says "Support High Skilled
Immigrants, Support SKIL bill"

In my plane , an air plane is a symbol of technological progress.
see the attached picture
any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airplane.jpg (76.9 KB, 31 views)

Closed Thread