Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold

Logiclife, i can't imagine you refused to take a rose from such a beautiful girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
LogicLife is too proud.. he didn't take the rose I offered him during the rally. I don't want to have anything to do with him now!!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough

i had pleasuer to meet with aman/logic life/paskal/pappu. it made some good sense to put a face with the IV handle and it does helps a lot.
over all my experience was that all members (core and non core) worked earnestly to make anything and everything possible. i know it as i was outside the room where all the action was... and could see honesty in every action.

this will go down as long lasting memories with me...

thanks
vasa

Last edited by paskal; 09-21-2007 at 02:12 AM.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about
Question Chanduv23

Hi,

I have a question and would appreciate your inputs...I am on a H1b with a Company full time and recently received my EAD...can I continue to be on H1 and pick up a part time job on EAD?

Do understand this thread is for sharing DC memories...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default needhelp?

Quote:
I met pappu for the first time at the reception registration, and someone had to point out to me that it was him heeeee. Honored to meet you!
pdakwala, you are the best, you were the one who called me and tried to get AA to waive the change fees for me, and I had really looked forward to meeting you. It is plainly evident that you guys really care about your members.
Paskal, I had seen your picture before, so I knew it was you. You made us walk all the way back to the starting point by which time all the cleanup was already done!
MACACA IS REALLY MY CHACHA NOW I couldn't stop shouting MACACA randomly. I think I even shouted PAPPU out of dhiren's car.
Aman, I couldn't believe how everyone was approaching him for all the pettiest of things (including myself) and he always obliged.
LogicLife is too proud.. he didn't take the rose I offered him during the rally. I don't want to have anything to do with him now!!

see i changed your name above
yup i made you walk to washington monument...i remember...and before i say the rest...my very grateful thanks for actually coming!
some wonderful people had already arrived there and we were able to start clearing the place out thus depriving you and texanmom of the pleasure of lifting placards and water bottles and so on...too bad...next time walk faster

i want to say this...lots is being said about local guys not coming and all...but the local team that did show up and ran the host program and were marshalls and helped clear the two grounds up..were simply too good.their efforts went a long way in making the whole event a success.

as for logiclife...he has had "enough of flowery protests"...i'll leave the rest to your imagination

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sgupta33 has a spectacular aura about sgupta33 has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to say that the rally, all the pre-rally prep, and meeting with lawmakers was such an intense and exhilarating experience! I feel so priviledged to have met some of the core IV people - I felt like a groupie meeting superstars! They are truly inspiring... There were so many other wonderful people I had the chance to meet who now make my wait more meaningful. It was such fun getting to know all of you and sharing the experience. I have wonderful memories of the entire event...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all
Default it was fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal View Post
that ride was just hilarious...for the record it was vijay who told me "i don't know how i got here...i can't remember", he had lefts and rights nicely mixed up! pratik was in the same car and told me later that vijay did not believe that machine could beat him so he constantly challenged the directions

as for sumita (samay)...besides working very hard...she provided great entertainment...don't know what we would have done without her. i'm going to remember her waiving her car keys at me and asking me to drive and then even before the car moved...she announed "not so fast" , took you and me a moment to realize she was saying it to vijay on the phone not to poor me who had not yet moved!!!!! i will also not forget her walking upto the registration desk on rally day and someone said good morning...sending sumita into a real tizzy as her morning "had begun at 5 am" which is absolutely true...since she had one of aman's lost bags and was given no choice but to drive to VA to return it...
yeah and that "tom-tom"...wish she would learn to program it
(ok now we are guaranteed to get a response! if not let's make a lawyer joke!)

i was also in that other hilarious cab ride well after midnight on monday night when we were desprately trying to find our hotel. i will never ever forget logiclife's frustration sitting next to the driver who could neither read nor understand english and was deathly scared that if he went for directions we would ride away in his cab
that scene when logiclife finally grabbed the wheel on the highway to get us on the correct exit had me and pratik in splits the rest of the ride...and when he tried to get the cabbie to move as the other car we were following was leaving...tapped in on the shoulder..then head...finally his face as our guy seened utterly lost trying to read his zones and calculate how much fare we were building up in that wild ride...

add to that aman's lost bags and cell phone and constant attempts to call akhil to retrieve his wallet...poor akhil arrived back huffing and puffing and in mortal panic...later we discovered we had his home phone number and had been leaving messages on it for 2 days...and wondering why in the world he would not pick his phone up!

btw i persuaded jane to eat a samosa...she was very scared it would keep her up but the small size convinced her to try it...i think she even like it...
I wish I was in that cab, would have loved to see logiclife frustrated!
Also, a point to be noted - why was that Paskal's entire trip was comedy of Errors - I think it's got to do something with the man hiself

Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute
Default When we were out of t-shirts

IV had brought in hundreds of T - shirts to hand out. We were giving them out to everyone with a request to contribute on the web site. When we were out,
one of our volunteers, Kaushal, I think (don't know iv handle), he took out his own IV tshirt and gave it away!!

Another thing, I want to thank all the volunteer(s) who were asked to stay back to take care of the origin point and couldn't march in the rally.

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 09-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all Meenal is a name known to all
Default Change your handle

Quote:
IV had brought in hundreds of T - shirts to hand out. We were giving them out to everyone with a request to contribute on the web site. When we were out,
one of our volunteers, Kaushal, I think (don't know iv handle), he took out his own IV tshirt and gave it away!!

Another thing, I want to thank all the volunteer(s) who were asked to stay back to take care of the origin point and couldn't march in the rally.
Needhelp - you are actually v. helpful. Change your name to wanttohelp
you are a sweetheart!

Meenal

Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Now that I have talked about so many people....let me tell you what I did to freak out Aman.....

Sunday afternoon, Aman asked me to take out about 5,000 printouts of our documents and put them in 120 folders for the meetings on Monday. I started doing it but the printer was painfully slow. After a while, I figured it will take me hours to do it and I was getting restless because I go to gym daily and I had not worked- out that day. I decided to run upstairs to the fitness centre and get done with it.

I came back in about 1.5 hrs., and there was a big chaos - so many printouts flying around!! Aman looked tensed. Anyways, I worked 5 hrs straight and with the help of great volunteers there I was able to get all those 120 folders ready for the monday morning.

So much so for my Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour! Needless to say, I didnot work-out the other 2 days....didn't want people to know I am crazy

Meenal

Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
guyfromsg has a spectacular aura about guyfromsg has a spectacular aura about
Default I do have Jaime's photo..

Quote:
we really do want to hear everyone's experiences
tell us what it was like to meet pappu and logiclife
and aman...
not to forget macaca and jaime!!!!!

btw i never met jaime...there's one regret finally....
If he is ok, I'll post the link..For some reason I though Jaime is a girl and we had a hearty laugh about it

Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that ride was just hilarious...for the record it was vijay who told me "i don't know how i got here...i can't remember", he had lefts and rights nicely mixed up! pratik was in the same car and told me later that vijay did not believe that machine could beat him so he constantly challenged the directions

as for sumita (samay)...besides working very hard...she provided great entertainment...don't know what we would have done without her. i'm going to remember her waiving her car keys at me and asking me to drive and then even before the car moved...she announed "not so fast" , took you and me a moment to realize she was saying it to vijay on the phone not to poor me who had not yet moved!!!!! i will also not forget her walking upto the registration desk on rally day and someone said good morning...sending sumita into a real tizzy as her morning "had begun at 5 am" which is absolutely true...since she had one of aman's lost bags and was given no choice but to drive to VA to return it...
yeah and that "tom-tom"...wish she would learn to program it
(ok now we are guaranteed to get a response! if not let's make a lawyer joke!)
Okay for the record from my side (Vijay's side of the story). The GPS girl had a sweet voice and she wouldn't talk to me unless I made a wrong turn. Finally I loved listening to her "Recalculating" and I could go on, until Puneet and Sumita interrupted. I was in fact contemplating on giving flowers to the GPS girl if not for logiclife's sweet reminder that only he had the rights to be "flowery"
May be that is the reason he did not accept flowers from needhelp! Well the bottom line counts, we all had food after long drive on a supposedly short route.

On a side note, someone told me D.C is was very nice to see at night, so was trying my level best to make Pratik, Jay and Vandana enjoyed sight seeing enroute to the restaurant!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up only thing you forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks View Post
Okay for the record from my side (Vijay's side of the story). The GPS girl had a sweet voice and she wouldn't talk to me unless I made a wrong turn. Finally I loved listening to her "Recalculating" and I could go on, until Puneet and Sumita interrupted. I was in fact contemplating on giving flowers to the GPS girl if not for logiclife's sweet reminder that only he had the rights to be "flowery"
May be that is the reason he did not accept flowers from needhelp! Well the bottom line counts, we all had food after long drive on a supposedly short route.

On a side note, someone told me D.C is was very nice to see at night, so was trying my level best to make Pratik, Jay and Vandana enjoyed sight seeing enroute to the restaurant!
it was 3:00 AM in the morning.
i think it was little late for sight seeing.
specially everyone wanted to eat KABOBS since evening.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
pdakwala will become famous soon enough pdakwala will become famous soon enough
Default How can I forget Kanika, Niloufer, Meenal, Sumita, Nili and Tamsen.

Everyone please three cheers for these girls.

Kanika: She was working with her one year old or may be less than a year kid in one hand. By the way her kid was helping her to to hold the phone and her another hand was holding the apointment document and pen.

Niloufer: She came to IV situation room for the first time. Her daughter was with her husband. We were running short of people and had lot of things to do. I was the one who did not even ask whether she is ok to do some work on that day. Sorry for that Niloufer but you are wonderful person.

Meenal: After working for three whole days, she was without even thinking about herself kept looking for my laptop. My company would have fired me if they would have found that I have some company data in the laptop which is lost. But fortunately I found my laptop. You were on the top of it and were very determined to find my laptop. Thanks for all your help

Sumita: Oh man, she speaks a lot. But let me tell you one thing. Without her help we would not have the successfull "Meet the Lawmaker day". We had 100+ meetings arranged on Monday. She made sure that our members attend each of these meetings.

Nili: She had a broken ankle but was on her feet from day one. She took care of each of the CA members and made sure that they meet each of the CA lawmakers in DC.

Tamsen: I think she have never said "NO" in her life. I think in her dictationary there is the word "NO" is not listed. We kept assigning lot of the task to her and she kept doing it.

Your dedication to IV is the real strength of IV.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Default Why I was in DC for the rally...

- It was a historic event, in a historic and scenic location with plenty of symbolism about what America represents - the Washington Monument to the Capitol, and the lobby day, reception (both of which I missed thanks to my flight delay) and press conferences at the Rayburn building.

- An excellent opportunity to get our voices heard where it matters - in D.C.
- Meet fellow IV members!
- Great photo opportunities
- Stories most of us will cherish for the rest of our lives and share with our children & grand children
- Last but not the least, it's always a pleasure to see an intelligent, calm, restrained leader like Aman Kapoor leading the effort in all his selflessness (he already got his green card a while ago). Proud to be a part of an org led by you Mr. Kapoor!

- And before I forget - another incredible selfless person, Ms. Tamsen!

- Plenty of others - too long a list to mention, you know who you are!

Had some down sides as well, but I'll keep this a fun thread...

jazz
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------

Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Smile Room service... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
Hmmm... humorous stories...

Well there was gsc999 and jazz trying to pull a "room service" gag on Drona and myself, but they went to the wrong room...
...And the dump of a hotel didn't have room service to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
... but a lot of the others must stay in DC
Absolutely....

jazz
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------