Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

View Poll Results: Singing the Anthem at the rally?
We should sing the Anthem at the rally to show respect 13 23.21%
We respect America, but no need to sing the Anthem 43 76.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Let's sing the Anthem in DC!

Hey guys, I suggest that when we all gather at the Washington monument that we start the rally by all singing the American Anthem, if we'll have a sound system someone with a good voice can lead and we all will join in. Then, as soon as we reach the Capitol we should sing it again! This will show our dedication and love for the U.S. and differentiate us from the illegals. We could also recite the Pledge of Alleigance. We are Future Americans after all! (officially, because we are already Americans in our hearts)

For those who don't know the Anthem by heart, here are the lyrics, you can print them and bring them to the rally and use them when we all sing it together. Thoughts? Also, brng your U.S. flag with you!

The Star Spangled Banner

Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Last edited by Jaime; 09-13-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about
Default I'm a singer

I can lead the anthem, if need be.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Hey guys, I suggest that when we all gather at the Washington monument that we start the rally by all singing the American Anthem, if we'll have a sound system someone with a good voice can lead and we all will join in. Then, as soon as we reach the Capitol we should sing it again! This will show ou dedication and love for the U.S. and differentiate us from the illegals. We could also recite the Pledge of Alleigance.

For those who don't know the Anthem by heart, here are the lyrics, you can print them and bring them to the rally and use them when we all sing it together. Thoughts?

The Star Spangled Banner

Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Yes, actually we must have band and music - one member from NY chapter suggested that every rally must have music, I did bring this up with core

But if no music, yes we can all sing star spangled banner - Offocurse music gives more effect

Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wonderful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajkakkar View Post
I can lead the anthem, if need be.
Great Pankajkakkar! Your talent would be an enormous conribution! Let's see what Core suggests! I vote for you!!!

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vik_tx is on a distinguished road

I think this is a really bad idea. Green Card is fine.. but remember, we are first Indian, Chinese.. we are citizens of our countries..and owe allegiance to it....atleast till the time you get your american citizenship.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik_tx View Post
I think this is a really bad idea. Green Card is fine.. but remember, we are first Indian, Chinese.. we are citizens of our countries..and owe allegiance to it....atleast till the time you get your american citizenship.
I agree with you.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik_tx View Post
I was hesitating to say that. But you said it. People please don't get me wrong. Yesterday went to my son’s school for "back to school night". Before anything starts they have "pledge of allegiance". Now, I am not disrespectful to the American flag or any other flag, I do stand up on such occasions but I don't say the pledge of allegiance nor do I have my hand pressed against my chest. Most of the time my hand is holding my sons hand pressing it against his chest, trying to make him understand about the love and respect for their country.

God know how many times I have heard the same question from my kids. “How come daddy you ask us to do that and you yourself don’t do it?” Now what do I tell them, “Its going to take about $20 years (the way things are progressing)”.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't understand

On one hand we want to hasten the GC process so that we can become citizens and enjoy all the freedom and benefits, and on the other hand, we are hesitant to sing the US national anthem?

Anyway, not everyone has to sing the anthem. I know the words but I find it too difficult to sing it anyway. But there is no harm in someone else singing it to show respect.

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold Milind123 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
On one hand we want to hasten the GC process so that we can become citizens and enjoy all the freedom and benefits, and on the other hand, we are hesitant to sing the US national anthem?

Anyway, not everyone has to sing the anthem. I know the words but I find it too difficult to sing it anyway. But there is no harm in someone else singing it to show respect.
This topic is like religion, very personal, best to be left alone

Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default No worries, but....

Choosing to sing or not to sing the Anthem is everyone's right. Even some Americans refuse to recite the Pledge of Alleigance. Yet, at IV we call ourselves what we are "Future Americans" and therefore this is our Anthem. Just like many of us are from India, China or elsewhere most Americans also have foreign ancestors and feel a closeness to those countries on some level. Yet, the idea here is to show respect for our new country, the country that we have adopted, and which has adopted us.

Americans appreciate people who come to America for true love of the country and wanting to assimilate and contribute to its greatness. Look at what the illegals did in their rallies carrying Mexican flags and translating the Anthem into Spanish, rightfully angering American citzens. This is our opportunity to understcore how totally different we are from illegals and how we have earned and deserve our green cards.

For those of you who are not ready to sing the Anthem as your own country's anthem, then perhaps you can sing it just as a show of respect for the country that has welcomed you. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Jaime; 09-14-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yes from me

But you already guessed that

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 09-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
gceverywhere is a jewel in the rough gceverywhere is a jewel in the rough gceverywhere is a jewel in the rough
Default Can we

start a poll on this?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Poll added

Poll added

Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Choosing to sing or not to sing the Anthem is everyone's right. Even some Americans refuse to recite the Pledge of Alleigance. Yet, at IV we call ourselves what we are "Future Americans" and therefore this is our Anthem. Just like many of us are from India, China or elsewhere most Americans also have foreign ancestors and feel a closeness to those countries on some level. Yet, the idea here is to show respect for our new country, the country that we have adopted, and which has adopted us.

Americans appreciate people who come to America for true love of the country and wanting to assimilate and contribute to its greatness. Look at what the illegals did in their rallies carrying Mexican flags and translating the Anthem into Spanish, rightfully angering American citzens. This is our opportunity to understcore how totally different we are from illegals and how we have earned and deserve our green cards.

For those of you who are not ready to sing the Anthem as your own country's anthem, then perhaps you can sing it just as a show of respect for the country that has welcomed you. What do you guys think?
Despite the great amount of respect i have for IV and its activities i wish to point out two things:

1. The americans of yore - who came here - came here because they were either trying to escape abject poverty and hunger or religious persecution........i dont believe that is the case with most highly skilled workers.we just came here for a "delta" change in our lives.....instead of the sony 27" tv - getting a 42" flat panel type of change and not torn hand me down clothes to armani type of change....so, lets not compare apples to oranges - i.e us to the settlers of 16th-19th century

2. Most of us are not here for some great new found love for america neither is america keeping us here for some great "long lost son coming home" type of love.....its a great mutually beneficial opportunistic economic alliance and lets keep it that......

neither of the above diminishes our right to a timely and fair processing of our GC applications and hence great idea to protest democratically......but to denounce our respective countries of birth (and current citizenship) by publicly taking the US pledge of allegience??
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice
Default maybe another song?

Instead the national anthem, another less politically charged song might be more effective. For example,"God Bless America".... the words, "land that I love" and "my home sweet home" may be more relevant to many.