Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gdilla is on a distinguished road
Default GC Holder to H1B Marriage Question

Situation: Canadian GC Holder; Fiance Japanese H1B who will lose her job. H1B expires in June 2010.

Question: How can I keep her in the US? She is having no luck finding a new job, and no employer will sponsor GCs right now here in southern california. She is a translator so it's a tough market for her.

I've had my GC almost 2 years, so a ways off before i get citizenship and sponsor her that way. i'm not so much concerned for her to be able to work, as I am that she can live here legally while we are married.

What are my option? I hear I can sponsor her GC but it takes 5-7 years. Is that accurate? Any other options?

Thanks for all your help and consideration.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdilla View Post
Situation: Canadian GC Holder; Fiance Japanese H1B who will lose her job. H1B expires in June 2010.

Question: How can I keep her in the US? She is having no luck finding a new job, and no employer will sponsor GCs right now here in southern california. She is a translator so it's a tough market for her.

I've had my GC almost 2 years, so a ways off before i get citizenship and sponsor her that way. i'm not so much concerned for her to be able to work, as I am that she can live here legally while we are married.

What are my option? I hear I can sponsor her GC but it takes 5-7 years. Is that accurate? Any other options?

Thanks for all your help and consideration.
Yes, it will be 5 years for her to get a GC in the current situation (Family based petition category 2A is at 22nd dec 04).

One way for her to remain legal is to change to F1 by becoming a student (if that is possible). After 3 years, you can apply for citizenship and then sponsor her for GC which will be the fastest route.

A couple of issues in case of change in status to F1 - first issue may be the travel - if she goes out of the country after the change in status, she has to get the visa stamped and that will be very difficult since she has the intent to immigrate. The second issue may be that USCIS may not extend the I-94 if/when they approve the F1 in which case she has to leave country immediately to get visa stamped and that will circle back to issue #1(I would let the more experienced members/attorneys to comment on this point).

Good luck.

PS: CAN you please correct your profile?

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by sunny1000; 06-29-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default GC Holder to H1B Marriage Question

Yeah, I thought I did update everything in my profile. Not sure why it doesn't show up.

Anyway, thanks for the response. So if I do petition for her GC, can she exist in the US? I get the feeling no, unless she has an F1, H1, or other valid visa only. Is my understanding correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1000 View Post
Yes, it will be 5 years for her to get a GC in the current situation (Family based petition category 2A is at 22nd dec 04).

One way for her to remain legal is to change to F1 by becoming a student (if that is possible). After 3 years, you can apply for citizenship and then sponsor her for GC which will be the fastest route.

A couple of issues in case of change in status to F1 - first issue may be the travel - if she goes out of the country after the change in status, she has to get the visa stamped and that will be very difficult since she has the intent to immigrate. The second issue may be that USCIS may not extend the I-94 if/when they approve the F1 in which case she has to leave country immediately to get visa stamped and that will circle back to issue #1(I would let the more experienced members/attorneys to comment on this point).

Good luck.

PS: CAN you please correct your profile?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdilla View Post
Yeah, I thought I did update everything in my profile. Not sure why it doesn't show up.

Anyway, thanks for the response. So if I do petition for her GC, can she exist in the US? I get the feeling no, unless she has an F1, H1, or other valid visa only. Is my understanding correct?
AFAIK, that is correct. Even if you apply for her GC now, her stay won't be legal until she can file for the petition to adjust status (I-485) which will take a few years as the visa number should be available to file for I-485. That visa number is now available for applicants who filed on 12/22/04. You do the math.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Ok, another question - is it safe for her to go form H1 to F1 (she is not being sponsored for GC now)? And if she does switch to F1, will border crossings or int'l arrivals be a problem since they may notice she's married to a resident and has an intent to live in the US because her spouse (me)? F1 is a temp visa so what happens in this situation?

And if she does switch to F1, should it be done before or after marriage?