Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
sobers sobers is offline
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road
Default Power of Your Faxes/Emails!

Look at what NumbersUSA has got to say about the effectiveness of its mass faxing/emailing strategy...

-------------------------

From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA
Date: Wednesday 1MAR06 5:30 p.m. EST

Day 3-----Media confirm your calls/faxes making a difference in fighting Specter's amnesty

YOUR CONTINUED PHONE CALLS AND FAXES ARE BRINGING PAIN TO SENATORS WHO WANTED TO PASS AN AMNESTY

NEWS ITEM
"Despite the breadth of interest groups
advocating an expanded guest-worker program,
the enforcement-only crowd makes considerably
more noise on Capitol Hill, if the flood
of mail, e-mail and phone calls to member
offices is any indication."

The power of what you are doing has been confirmed in a big story in The Hill newspaper. This daily publication is the community newspaper for the tens of thousands of people who work in congressional offices on Capitol Hill.

It claims that the power of your phoning and faxing may be countering the power of the Chamber of Commerce, religious lobbies, ethnic lobbies, ACLU and cheap-labor corporations combined.

With the Senate Judiciary Committee prepared to start tomorrow (Thursday) voting on amendments to the giant amnesty bill of its chairman, Sen. Specter, the newspaper stated that the open borders positions are supported by one of the largest and most powerful blocs of groups ever assembled.

But the newspaper reported that you all may be more influential:

"A handful of single-issue groups opposing
the guest-worker program have effectively
put the other side on the defensive since
President Bush first announced his intentions
to push comprehensive immigration reform, as
evidenced by the administration's backtracking
since Bush first proposed such a program in
January 2004.

"One of those groups, Numbers USA, has 135,000
registered activists throughout the country and
an e-mail list in excess of 1 million subscribers,
all of whom have signed up voluntarily, said
Caroline Espinosa, a spokeswoman for the group.
A link on the Numbers USA website also allows browsers
to fax a personal note to members of Congress in
support of increased enforcement of illegal immigration."

None of this changes the fact that most Senators want to have 2 million to 3 million foreign workers and their families being added to our laborforce and communities each year.

But we are getting reports from the Hill and from many of you that many of them are starting to show some signs of concern about how their open-borders voting may affect their standing back home.

We don't like being called "anti-immigration," but we like what the reporter said he found in talking to people in the Senate:

"The anti-immigration crowd has political momentum
at this stage in the fight, with congressional
Republicans wary to cast any vote that could turn
off their conservative base during this critical
election year, but members will also have a hard
time ignoring such a broad cross-section of business,
labor and social groups with their own self-interested
constituents."

Now, if we could just get more Democratic Senators to start worrying about their base.

Well, we got a little sign of hope on that front today. The AFL-CIO -- which is selling out its tradition and its American members by pushing an amnesty -- has come out against Specter's and McCain's amnesty bills because they have gigantic foreign guestworker programs. That gives hope that some Democratic Senators would vote against these bills. And it is doubtful that the Republican open-border Senators would vote for an amnesty that didn't include the guestworker provisions so sought by the Chamber of Commerce.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR ACTION BUFFET AND KEEP MAKING YOUR PHONE CALLS AND SENDING YOUR FAXES

What you have been doing is working. You have kept phones and fax machines ringing since first-thing Monday morning through this minute. Do not let up.

Click here for actions to take.
www.NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet

WATCH FOR BY-THE-MINUTE ALERTS ON THURSDAY AS WE ASK YOU TO REACT TO SENATORS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY TAKE BAD ACTIONS IN COMMITTEE

Our seven-person Capitol Hill Team of professionals will be in the Committee Room and other key Capitol Hill locations all day assisting our six-person Website Team to provide you with updates and help in where your activism can do the most good.

The reason you NumbersUSA activists are seen as the primary constituency pressure force on the Hill in pushing sensible immigration policies is because of the work that I know most of you will do tomorrow.

GET ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED ABOUT THE SPECTER BILL AND THE ACTION IN THE SENATE

Just go to our Hot Topics page, which has links for detailed analysis of the bill.

http://numbersusa.com/hottopic/specterproposal.html

Thanks for all you can do. And thanks for all the reports that you have been sending back to us on what you hear when you call. Our Capitol Team makes good use of your reports.

DON'T LET UP,

-- ROY

If you have time, you might enjoy reading some more of The Hill article:

"Numbers USA also does objective and subjective
summaries of each bill introduced on the issue
and notifies subscribers in advance of any
important actions on Capitol Hill, such as this
week's markup. As such, the group was expected to
send an alert asking those supporters living in
states represented by members of the Senate
Judiciary Committee to call or fax their members
in anticipation of that markup.

"Battling with groups like Numbers USA is an
uncommon experience for many members of the business
community because they do not regularly work on
such socially sensitive topics.

"We don't usually end up on the other side of single-issue groups," Gay said. "That's unusual for us."

* * * * *

"The National Restaurant Association usually does not join forces with the National Council of La Raza, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce rarely, if ever, aligns itself with the Conference of Catholic Bishops.

"But those organizations and many others have come together in support of a comprehensive immigration-reform bill that would expand guest-worker programs and offer undocumented workers already in this country a path to citizenship. They are up against an aggressive cross-section of single-issue organizations that favor increased enforcement of immigration laws and have condemned any legislation that would allow undocumented workers already here eventually to become citizens.

"With the Senate Judiciary Committee expected to mark up its version of the immigration bill Thursday, groups on either side of the issue have geared up for a hard fight, and the vehemence and intractability of either side should make compromise particularly difficult for lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

"A unique coalition of divergent interest groups have rallied in support of a bill introduced by Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.).

"he fact that the Chamber of Commerce needs comprehensive immigration reform is very good," said Flavia Jimenez, an outreach director for the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy organization.

"Members of the business community also appreciate working with groups such as La Raza because it allows the overarching coalition to communicate with Republicans and Democrats alike on Capitol Hill.

"It's nice actually to get to work with these guys," said John Gay, a senior vice president for government affairs with the National Restaurant Association, which co-chairs the Essential Worker Immigration Coalition (EWIC), a group of more than 40 business and trade associations seeking comprehensive reform.

"Because the many groups within this broad coalition have slightly different priorities, they must communicate regularly to push common themes. In the end, these organizations are all fighting for what they consider the best interests of their dues-paying members.

"Despite the breadth of interest groups
advocating an expanded guest-worker program,
the enforcement-only crowd makes considerably
more noise on Capitol Hill, if the flood
of mail, e-mail and phone calls to member
offices is any indication."

This may be a good time for you to make sure that you've let us know all of the areas you are interested in. In order to further customize the type of alerts you receive click here http://www.numbersusa.com/survey?action=longlist

As a NumbersUSA subscriber, you will receive occasional emails about immigration-related opportunities. If you want to increase or reduce the frequency of these emails, click here and choose from Total Activism, Moderate Activism, or Limited Activism at the bottom of your registration form: http://www.numbersusa.com/user

NumbersUSA - relies upon individuals like you to reach its goal of an environmentally sustainable and economically just America.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 PM
logiclife logiclife is offline
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks sobers

The congressional staff always works like this when they see a fax/letter/email:

For every constituent who writes about a problem, there are 100 others who dont write but have the same problem, and by working on that issue, it would be like working on an issue that would help 100 individuals.

That's why dont think that "What will happen with one fax?". No. Its not like that.

It will be consequential.

Last edited by logiclife; 03-01-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 PM
pdakwala pdakwala is offline
Administrator
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
pdakwala will become famous soon enough pdakwala will become famous soon enough
Default Wake up people before it is too late

Support IV now or else start packing bags. There are few things that you can do and that is not difficult.

1. Become member of IV
2. Support them by contributing money.
3. Support them by taking part in conference call and meet the lawmakers.

You can do it. By the way stop giving others BS that

1. We are on H1B and so no one will hear us.
2. Is it legal or illlegal to contributing money.

These are nothing but just excuseS. In reallity you don't have guts and faith in yourself.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
jungalee43 jungalee43 is offline
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Fax campaign continuing?

Is our fax campaign continuing or on hold for the time being?
We have learnt some lessons at the time of S1932. Our campaign was dead after HR4241 was passed and we were waiting for conference committe to be announced. This was the period when the campaign of NumbersUSA and FAIR actually peaked. They in fact advised members to stop faxes two days before the conference committee was announced. Their organizers knew how the conferences work and they finished work before the committee was formally announced.
Of course with QGA guiding us this time we are not going to repeat that mistake. Our campaigns should focus on senate and house separately & exactly when it is needed and must reach peak just at right time. With limited options available to us as 'aliens', actually meeting representitives or their staff should be the approach. One meeting is equal to ten faxes.

Last edited by jungalee43; 03-01-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Bookmarks