Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future
Default Visa Recapture Bill Reintroduced in Senate

http://www.aila.com/content/default.aspx?docid=28941
I-140 Approved
I-485 : Yet to file
Waiting Priceless
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute Naveen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2020 View Post
Good Info OP!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
Good Info OP!
Good development. Lets see whether they follow up on this or not.
CIR is difficult due to political landscape. piecemeal approach has the
most likelihood of success especially it is attached to FB category.

On the downside, such bills are tabled every year and they die a natural death.
Visa recapture since 1992 might greatly reduce the backlog.

Last edited by go_guy123; 05-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice
Post How to track this Bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
Good development. Lets see whether they follow up on this or not.
CIR is difficult due to political landscape. piecemeal approach has the
most likelihood of success especially it is attached to FB category.

On the downside, such bill are tabled every year and they die a natural death.
Visa recapture might since 1992 might greatly reduce the backlog.
How to track the progress of this Bill? can some one post the link to track.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice greencard_fever is just really nice
Thumbs down Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencard_fever View Post
How to track the progress of this Bill? can some one post the link to track.
here is the link http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-6938
looks like this bill will not go no where ...there is only 3 cosponsors..

Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
all of them democrats, in a house of democrats.
and you dont need 15 sponsors for a bill. and having 3 sponsors does not weaken the merit of a bill. in fact most bills would only have less than 10 cosponsors.

And it was in the democrats' rule that the last EB favored legislation was passed.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/23/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
seeking_GC will become famous soon enough
Default for EB too?

I think we need to study the bill in detail before we jump to any conclusions.

From reading the summary in the AILA website, specifically the below :

The legislation would reinforce our commitment to families and reduce current wait times in the family immigration system by:

•Recapturing an estimated 400,000 family-sponsored and employment-based visas that went unused between 1992 and 2007.

Atleast to me it seems like the bill plans on using all the unused visas from the past years and apply that towards the family quota. Not sure if that would help the EB cause.

Inputs anyone?

Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future immigrationmatters30 has a brilliant future
Default I agree!

Looks like they are going to use the unused EB visa numbers for FB.To me, this is family reunification bill and most likely will not have any benefit for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking_GC View Post
I think we need to study the bill in detail before we jump to any conclusions.

From reading the summary in the AILA website, specifically the below :

The legislation would reinforce our commitment to families and reduce current wait times in the family immigration system by:

•Recapturing an estimated 400,000 family-sponsored and employment-based visas that went unused between 1992 and 2007.

Atleast to me it seems like the bill plans on using all the unused visas from the past years and apply that towards the family quota. Not sure if that would help the EB cause.

Inputs anyone?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of
Default Push to include EB too in the bill

This bill is only for FB. IV has to give some direction on this bill so that we can push to include EB too in the bill.
Filed Labor first time in Jan 2001(EB2) but dot com bubble destroyed it.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
EB3IFiasco will become famous soon enough EB3IFiasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This link looks to be from the HR. Menendez bill is in the senate. The text of the bill is not available at this time.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...dgY3q::|/bss/|
PD - DEC 04
I140 - Approved
I485 - July 07 Filer
(WAC reciept but transfered to NSC)
FP - Jan 08
I485 LUD (Wife) - On FP complete
I485 LUD (Self) - Jun 08 - "Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred."

Old 05-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB3IFiasco View Post
This link looks to be from the HR. Menendez bill is in the senate. The text of the bill is not available at this time.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...dgY3q::|/bss/|
Have to watch this one carefully. Kennedy (one of the co-sponsors of this bill) had thrown EB immigrants under the bus last year while favoring FB and illegals (in CIR). Need to be see the contents of this bill very carefully. Esp this clause from the AILA report:
"Addressing the decades-long backlogs for certain countries by raising the per-country immigration limits from 7 percent to 10 percent of total admission".
The CIR in 2007 had a similar clause, bumping up the country-limit from 7% to 10%, BUT it had another related clause that stopped rollover of visa's in the last quarter.
That would be disastrous for people from India and China as number of visas issued for the whole year will go DOWN!!
The recapture clause sounds promising , provided there is atleast an even split between EB and FB (of EB coming before FB). If they do it the other way around (like they had done in the last recapture for schedule-A nurses) then EB people will see no benefit of the recapture, and will end up losing one more quick-fix option.

Eagerly waiting for the bill text so the dissection and analysis can begin!!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Compare
mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light
Default I think bill has provisions for recap on EB visas

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiani.planum View Post
Have to watch this one carefully. Kennedy (one of the co-sponsors of this bill) had thrown EB immigrants under the bus last year while favoring FB and illegals (in CIR). Need to be see the contents of this bill very carefully. Esp this clause from the AILA report:
"Addressing the decades-long backlogs for certain countries by raising the per-country immigration limits from 7 percent to 10 percent of total admission".
The CIR in 2007 had a similar clause, bumping up the country-limit from 7% to 10%, BUT it had another related clause that stopped rollover of visa's in the last quarter.
That would be disastrous for people from India and China as number of visas issued for the whole year will go DOWN!!
The recapture clause sounds promising , provided there is atleast an even split between EB and FB (of EB coming before FB). If they do it the other way around (like they had done in the last recapture for schedule-A nurses) then EB people will see no benefit of the recapture, and will end up losing one more quick-fix option.

Eagerly waiting for the bill text so the dissection and analysis can begin!!
RECAPTURE OF IMMIGRANT VISAS LOST TO BUREAUCRATIC DELAY.

(a) Worldwide Level of Employment-Based Immigrants- Subsection (d) of section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151) is amended to read as follows:

‘(d) Worldwide Level of Employment-Based Immigrants-

‘(1) IN GENERAL- The worldwide level of employment-based immigrants under this subsection for a fiscal year is equal to the sum of--

‘(A) 140,000; plus

‘(B) the number computed under paragraph (2); plus

‘(C) the number computed under paragraph (3).

‘(2) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM PREVIOUS FISCAL YEAR- The number computed under this paragraph for a fiscal year is the difference, if any, between--

‘(A) the worldwide level of employment-based immigrant visas established for the previous fiscal year; and

‘(B) the number of visas actually issued under section 203(b), subject to this subsection, during the previous fiscal year.

‘(3) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM FISCAL YEARS 1992 THROUGH 2007- The number computed under this paragraph is the difference, if any, between--

‘(A) the difference, if any, between--

‘(i) the sum of the worldwide levels of employment-based immigrant visas established for each of fiscal years 1992 through 2007; and

‘(ii) the number of visas actually issued under section 203(b), subject to this subsection, during such fiscal years; and

‘(B) the number of unused visas from fiscal years 1992 through 2007 that were issued after fiscal year 2007 under section 203(b), subject to this subsection.’.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default what you say makes sense

There is a chance that all unused visas over the last several years will get assigned to FB quota and EB folks will loose all those visas for ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummgelauft View Post
There is nothing in it for us. In-fact, if this bill passes, they are goin got apply the unused visa numbers towards FB, and we will lose any chance of re-capture, for-ever.
I think, we have a lost cause. The sooner we accept this, the better. We simply do not have the funds, commitment and political support that the illegals enjoy. We all know where the maximum nubver of FB immigrants are from, and they represent a big block of votes, since most of them happen to have the herd mentality, due to lack of education.

We, on the other hand, are educated, well read, tax paying people, who actually think about issues and merits of a person, hence no use to politicians.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default what can be done to prevent this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post
There is a chance that all unused visas over the last several years will get assigned to FB quota and EB folks will loose all those visas for ever.
Any idea ?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
bobbydalal will become famous soon enough bobbydalal will become famous soon enough
Default Visa Recapture Bill

Hey stop being negative. All we can do is hope n god willing we will get it. I have been waiting to get my green since last 12 years ok. Butr im still optimistic. Also lets fax the congress n whitehouse for the same. Ifu guys see numberusa site the anit immigrant pepole r pilling up the faxes against it so lets all unite n send the faxes in support of it. Also with the blue visas in Europen country will make a big difference for us. So they r quiet aware. Lets not fight and give reds to each other instead concentrate on faxing the faxes to white house in support of this bill as irt does matter all of us. United we stand and i bet u there r enough pepole like me n u waiting for the green.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.