Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Compare
pshaikh will become famous soon enough
Default PIMS CLAIMS verification: Lets track delays in Visa Issuance/ Passport Stamping

I have an appointment at Mumbai Consulate on Jan 2 for H1-B & H4 renewal.

People who interviewed in December and have started receiving passports back - please provide information in the format below. Thanks!

Date of interview, Passport received back (yes/no), Date passport received (or N/A), Visa class, Consulate location, Visa renewal only (yes/no), Any other info. worth sharing.

Eg:
Dec 5, Passport rcvd -YES, Dec 12, H1-B, Chennai, Renewal-yes
other details: <.....................>

Below is some background info. on this recently introduced change:
Delays in Visa Issuance Resulting from the Department of Stateís New Directive on Nonimmigrant Visa Issuance

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) instructed consular posts that approvals of H, L, O, P and Q visa petitions must be verified through the Petition Information Management Service (PIMS) before a nonimmigrant visa can be issued. PIMS is an electronic report generated by DOSís Kentucky Consular Center that collects nonimmigrant visa petition approval information from USCIS. PIMS contains data on initial petition approvals and on L blanket petitions that were approved in 2004 or later. PIMS does not contain information on approvals of extension of stay or changes of status petitions.

Consular officers adjudicating visa applications must consult PIMS to verify the approval of the underlying nonimmigrant visa petition. If the petition approval cannot be verified through PIMS, the officer must contact the Kentucky Consular Center, which in turn attempts to verify the approval through USCISís Computer Linked Applications Information Management System (CLAIMS).

DOS officials state that PIMS verification typically takes no more than 24 hours and that verification through CLAIMS typically takes two business days. Most cases involving initial nonimmigrant visa petitions are verified within these timeframes. However, we have received many reports of longer processing times for extension of stay and change of status cases. These cases must be verified with the assistance of the Kentucky Consular Center and can take longer to be processed. DOS has indicated that there are no current plans to include extension and change of status approval information in PIMS, which may result in significant delays for many applicants.

Foreign nationals who will be applying for nonimmigrant visas should expect longer processing times due to the new PIMS and CLAIMS verification requirement. How long the electronic process will take may vary from case to case. However, same-day and next-day visa issuance should not be expected. DOS projects that visa issuance will improve once the agency moves to a full online NIV application system in mid-2008.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Compare
pshaikh will become famous soon enough

All - I see a lot of "views" but no replies...
Please enter the info even if you have not received the passport yet.

eg:
Dec 5, Passport rcvd - NO (as of Dec 17), , H1-B, Chennai, Renewal-yes

Any info. would be helpful at this time ... thanks!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-10
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare
garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshaikh View Post
All - I see a lot of "views" but no replies...
Please enter the info even if you have not received the passport yet.

eg:
Dec 5, Passport rcvd - NO (as of Dec 17), , H1-B, Chennai, Renewal-yes

Any info. would be helpful at this time ... thanks!!!
Dec 6 1400 hrs, Passport rcvd - NO(as of Dec 17), H1-B, Chennai
With telephone conversation with consulate staff , I came to know that sometime tomorrow vfs will have my passport. Will let you know once I hear from vfs.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-10
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare
garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about garamchai2go has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by garamchai2go View Post
Dec 6 1400 hrs, Passport rcvd - NO(as of Dec 17), H1-B, Chennai
With telephone conversation with consulate staff , I came to know that sometime tomorrow vfs will have my passport. Will let you know once I hear from vfs.
Dec 6 1400 hrs, Passport sent to vfs - Yes(on Dec 18), H1-B, Chennai

Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinayak2008 is on a distinguished road
Default PIMS passport return delay

My visa was approved on dec 18th.Not received passports as of Dec 31st.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
nandini has a spectacular aura about nandini has a spectacular aura about

Dec 14th,yes, Dec 14th itself,mumbai,H1B, renewal only

Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
samyjani is on a distinguished road
Default Passport not yet received

Hi All,
I am on a business trip to Chennai and I was interviewed for my H1-B renewal on Dec 6th 2007, unaware of the PIMS as it was not mentioned anywhere on the website that it will take this long to receive the passport. I was granted my visa within few minutes but till date (Jan 1st, 08) I have not received my passport. Was interviewed at the Chennai consulate. It has been heights of frustration as I had to spend all my Christmas holidays and New years at Chennai with all my fly being in US. I was supposed to return to US on Dec19th had to postpone my tickets to Dec 24th and then to Dec 29th. Now finally I have cancelled my tickets as it was costing me $200 every time I modify my itinerary.The US consulate, Chennai keeps on extending the processing time from 3 to 7 to 10 and it has been 15 working days already now, but still no passport in hand. Last week on Friday (Dec 28th) got an email that it might take additional 7 working days, huh ! Good thing is my company is in Chennai so atleast I can go to work or else it would have been really painful.
Was anybody else interviewed at Chennai during that black week ??? with similar situation ?
Good luck everybody.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-10
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyjani View Post
Hi All,
I am on a business trip to Chennai and I was interviewed for my H1-B renewal on Dec 6th 2007, unaware of the PIMS as it was not mentioned anywhere on the website that it will take this long to receive the passport. I was granted my visa within few minutes but till date (Jan 1st, 08) I have not received my passport. Was interviewed at the Chennai consulate. It has been heights of frustration as I had to spend all my Christmas holidays and New years at Chennai with all my fly being in US. I was supposed to return to US on Dec19th had to postpone my tickets to Dec 24th and then to Dec 29th. Now finally I have cancelled my tickets as it was costing me $200 every time I modify my itinerary.The US consulate, Chennai keeps on extending the processing time from 3 to 7 to 10 and it has been 15 working days already now, but still no passport in hand. Last week on Friday (Dec 28th) got an email that it might take additional 7 working days, huh ! Good thing is my company is in Chennai so atleast I can go to work or else it would have been really painful.
Was anybody else interviewed at Chennai during that black week ??? with similar situation ?
Good luck everybody.
Interviewed on 6th and got passport on Dec 17th. Luckily we did not have to reschedule our travel. I can feel the pain and frustration of you..God Bless you and good luck with your passport.

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R - 2008.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute

This is useful info. But scary

I was planning to get my h1b visa revalidation done at Chennai end of Jan '08.

Can anyone who goes for H1b revalidation post their experiences?

is this showing any signs of improvement?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute

I have an appointment at Kolkata on the 11th. Scheduled to fly back to US on the 26th. Considering Martin Luther king Jr day it will be 9 working days. After seeing the PIMS delays, I am seriously considering return back on AP. Cannot take the risk of delaying the flight as I dont have vacations to hang around and wait for PP.
RD- Sep 4th 2007
EAD- Sep 17th 2007
FP- Sep 28th
AP- Oct 1st

First application:
EB-2 Aug 2002-Employer Shut Down

GREENED AUG 5th 2010

Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I dont see any improvement at chennai.I contacted consulate after 7 working days (after interview) and got reply to allow another 4 work days.

Consulate has handed over the passport to VFS on Jan 2nd and VFS has dispatched on the same day.I would be receiving that today.

Last edited by vinayak2008; 01-03-2008 at 02:54 AM.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute

pl. keep this updated. thx

Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
wc_user is a jewel in the rough wc_user is a jewel in the rough wc_user is a jewel in the rough
Default have decided to use AP

I have decided to use AP and have cancelled my appt in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisachu View Post
I have an appointment at Kolkata on the 11th. Scheduled to fly back to US on the 26th. Considering Martin Luther king Jr day it will be 9 working days. After seeing the PIMS delays, I am seriously considering return back on AP. Cannot take the risk of delaying the flight as I dont have vacations to hang around and wait for PP.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Visa Interview on dec 18th at chennai consulate.PIMS checks took 8 working days.Passport received on Jan 3rd.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2007
Compare
kushaljn is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

My Experience (PIMS):

I was interviewed at Mumbai Consulate on 28th Dec. At the interview I was told that I will receive an email from the consulate within 24-48 hrs at which time I will have to resubmit my passport at any one of the western US VFS centers along with the email and the yellow paper and a photo copy of my I-797.

I gave my passport to one of my friends in Mumbai and continued with the rest of my trip. Till date I have not received any emails from the consulate.

Any body in similar situation and any tips on what should be the next course of action.

Thanks.