Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up everything has a reason

Someone up there knew that he/she(your child) cannot be any well be taken care except for you and your wife and chose your house for his/her birth. So don't worry , its just you who think what will happen, someone already has made great plans for his/her settlement. There are no bugs in God's system, everything is well calculated chosen the best for everyone.
I am sure, the one who made you to come to US for your child, will also make sure to get the GC and the citizenship as this not just your destiny its your child's as well.

All the best...my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbawa10 View Post
I need gc and ultimately citizenship for my autistic, non-verbal and mentally challenged child. We do not know what will happen to him when we (parents) pass away. In US atleast he can get taken care of by some oraganization. In India, he will come to streets. He is already in a very bad shape.

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute
Default You are a good parent

Quote:
I need gc and ultimately citizenship for my autistic, non-verbal and mentally challenged child. We do not know what will happen to him when we (parents) pass away. In US atleast he can get taken care of by some oraganization. In India, he will come to streets. He is already in a very bad shape.
You and your spouse are very good parents. It is your planning and hard work that will make certain your kiddo has a good life.

I am just glad that you are ahead of me in the line for GC. Hope you get it soon!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about
Default Good Luck

Quote:
I wish you get GC sooner... All the best.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Compare
yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold

[quote=TravInd;821645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherguyinline View Post
I want a GC because

"1. I want switch careers into something totally different

I would like the freedom of not having to be worried about my immigration status and having to stick with same or similar occupation (I don't know about you, but I tend to get bored doing the same thing after 10 years!)."

I would like to prop up this discussion again. Please do not hate me in doing this. Since every like to get GC for a reason as quoted above, I would like, myself first and others second, to clear whether we are allowed to change occupation. This is not the first time I am posting it. But I could not get any convincing answer. So, finding answer might help every one. Since our gc is employment based and about future job,

1)How can we able to switch to different occupation that is all together different than the job onwhich u obtained GC.

2) Wouldn't this becomes an issue while obtaining citizenship?

3)When can we safely switch jobs like this?

4) I heard someone saying we should still be working on similar occupations. In other words, u can change jobs easily and become qualified for many positions. But all those job should be similar to the job based on which u obtained GC. Is this true? If true what problems one could get by switching jobs with completely different responsibilities and skill requirements?

Thought this might be worth to discuss about. For me GC is a fluid to run my life smoothly. Many jobs require u have atleast GC and other benifits one could get as many have already said.
My understanding is that GC is not tied to a profession. What stops me from acquiring new skills or new degree to get into a new profession?

Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light
Default you mistook for some other GC?

i think you are talking about GC to mars, this discussion about GC for the united states of america on planet earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravInd View Post

My understanding is that GC is not tied to a profession. What stops me from acquiring new skills or new degree to get into a new profession?
I-140 AD: Jan 2008
I-485 RD: July 20 2007
I-485 ND: Sept 29 2007
EAD: on second EAD
have used AC21

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
mmrao2007 is infamous around these parts mmrao2007 is infamous around these parts mmrao2007 is infamous around these parts
Smile Why we need GC...

• To have peaceful sleep in the nights.
  • To visit parents and family back home, whenever we want.
  • To persue the career of interest.
  • To live in America as long as you want.
  • For equal opportunities as citizens have.
  • Lastly but not the least, To feel happy that we didn't waste all these years waiting for GC.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Compare
yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold yetanotherguyinline is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_shark View Post
i think you are talking about GC to mars, this discussion about GC for the united states of america on planet earth.
I was responding to travelind's comment about having to do a similar job after GC (I understand that it needs to be done for a while for citizenship purposes but not for ever). I might be ignorant about this aspect. Are we supposed to do same or similar job all our life after getting GC?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks

Thanks so much psaxena, Mr. Brown, feedfront and all for kind words for our child and us.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
simple1 has a spectacular aura about simple1 has a spectacular aura about
Default EBGC is not a golden key for occupation changes.

As soon as you get GC you cannot abandon your "original sponsor" or "latest/last AC21 sponsor". You have to work there fulltime in specific role for a reasonable amount of time. I am assuming At least for a year or two. Even If you change jobs, it is important to maintain your fulltime “occupation” that is specified in petition for reasonable amount of time. I am assuming at least 2-3 years.

Being unemployed and drawing unemployment immediately after EBGC may also be bad.
Fulltime studies without reasonable employment with "original sponsor" or "latest/last AC21 sponsor" may also be bad.

I heard that citizenship interviewer may/can look at all your records including the category of your Green card and how well you have kept up. Don't mess-up your profile before citizenship.

I would say it is better and prudent to wait at least 3 years (if possible till you get USC) before the fulltime occupation switch (also check with attorney before you do it). Till that time part-time work/study is the only answer (which can be done even now with EAD).

Quote:
I was responding to travelind's comment about having to do a similar job after GC (I understand that it needs to be done for a while for citizenship purposes but not for ever). I might be ignorant about this aspect. Are we supposed to do same or similar job all our life after getting GC?

Last edited by simple1; 09-01-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default GC benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravInd View Post
The reason why I am raising this issue is that by knowing the information helps us what to expect from GC and what not to?
I believe these are the benefits for principals, the dependants get the best deal.

Expect
- no lca, peition, visa extn, stamping, EVL etc.
- Atleast need not fear the longer vacations (>3months) outside usa will result in abandonment of AOS. some say it is not the case. I am not sure about this.
- peace of mind
- non willful unemployment may be ok (original/ac21 sponsor sacks you)
- Change of locations may be ok. You are entitled to do it with EAD as well.
- go and buy that affordable house/newcar you have always wanted, without fear of going back home.
- be better placed (you are not h1b/ead/l1b etc).
- get security clearance easily
- apply federal and state jobs easily.
- work part time in another occupation without the need of EAD.

Don’t expect (atleast immediately, check with attorney before you do it)
- to draw unemployment benefit
- to change "fulltime" occupations.
- to go "fulltime" on studies.
- leave original/ac21 sponsor

Never expect:
- longer vacations outside usa. you have to be in usa for atleast 7 months to maintain GC ( I would say to be safer 9-10 months)

Last edited by simple1; 09-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Quote:
I want a GC because

1. I want switch careers into something totally different and at some point want to start something of my own. I believe that systems in US, at least at this point, provide much more support to an entrepreneur than systems in India (although the potential pay off in India these days might be higher).
2. I am having a hard time getting student loans at a decent rate and getting a GC in next year will be a huge financial benefit.
3. As much as I understand that uncertainty is part of life, I would like to minimize it to the extent possible. I would like the freedom to travel in and out of the country without any problems. I would like the freedom of not having to be worried about my immigration status and having to stick with same or similar occupation (I don't know about you, but I tend to get bored doing the same thing after 10 years!).
4. Ultimately GC is an option and all options have value. Getting GC is like getting a huge fat bonus but the value varies from person to person. I tried to go through pseudo-intellectual exercise (pseudo because lot of guessing is involved and I don't know the future) of pricing the value of GC and the whole exercise was very interesting to say the least!
I didn't go through 2. above, though I get partial reimbursement from my employer for the same. Points 1. and 3 mirror my feelings about GC. Can't really say much about 4.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2008
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
I believe these are the benefits for principals, the dependants get the best deal.

Expect
- no lca, peition, visa extn, stamping, EVL etc.
- Atleast need not fear the longer vacations (>3months) outside usa will result in abandonment of AOS. some say it is not the case. I am not sure about this.
- peace of mind
- non willful unemployment may be ok (original/ac21 sponsor sacks you)
- Change of locations may be ok. You are entitled to do it with EAD as well.
- go and buy that affordable house/newcar you have always wanted, without fear of going back home.
- be better placed (you are not h1b/ead/l1b etc).
- get security clearance easily
- apply federal and state jobs easily.
- work part time in another occupation without the need of EAD.

Don’t expect (atleast immediately, check with attorney before you do it)
- to draw unemployment benefit
- to change "fulltime" occupations.
- to go "fulltime" on studies.
- leave original/ac21 sponsor

Never expect:
- longer vacations outside usa. you have to be in usa for atleast 7 months to maintain GC ( I would say to be safer 9-10 months)
I see. I am doing MBA in a top 10 school part time right now and hope to have a GC in next two years. I got to discuss the issues you mentioned with my attorney and find a way out. I dont see how I can justify the MBA tution if I cannot switch careers or take a huge promotion.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

Quote:
This is a sensitive subject. here is my take: reservation is a hurdle but it is not a show stopper. At the same time, reservation must timeout.

caste based reservations violate the constitution.
(State of Madras Vs. Smt. Champakam Dorairanjan AIR 1951 SC 226) clearly shows that caste based reservations as per Communal Award violates Article 15(1). For starters Constiitution was primarly authored by Ambetkar a dalit.

Already creamy layer is excluded.
I agree and timeout is a must ..but that is a dream. Indian political system is flawed and inferior (including the constitution) ..with the parliamentary system -- idiots become chief ministers and ministers. India came close to electing a foreigner as PM.
why reservations in higher colleges, pvt colleges, doctors etc ...that's why MF like vp singh would go abroad at tax payers expense.
why the need for reservations / preference in promotions .... in my engg college we had reservations ..and guess who qualified ..people from reserved caste whose parents had petrol pumps, chairmans etc etc ..while normal category kids were from poor families ..well I can go on and on ..no wonder people just want their kids to flee India !!!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default GC is for Future job.

GC is an immigrant visa based on Form I-140 (“immigrant petition”) for Future JOB. It is at your best interest to honor and document the original intent working with original/ac21 sponsor in fulltime same/similar occupation ( in perm/i140 ) for a reasonable amount of time.

If new circumstances prevents you from working for original/ac21 sponsor (like sponsor sacks you) document that too showing it as sponsors decision.

I think promotions (with original/ac21 sponsor) may be ok (do check with attorney) as long as you can document that the promoted job is a progression of the original occupation.

While there is no legal document setting the number of years in stone. I heard many attorneys advice to stay put for aleast 2 years.

Do publish your attorney's reply in this thread.

Quote:
I see. I am doing MBA in a top 10 school part time right now and hope to have a GC in next two years. I got to discuss the issues you mentioned with my attorney and find a way out. I dont see how I can justify the MBA tution if I cannot switch careers or take a huge promotion.

Last edited by simple1; 09-02-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light
Default 6 months

i have heard that it is enough to do 6 months time from my lawyer

Quote:
GC is an immigrant visa based on Form I-140 (“immigrant petition”) for Future JOB. It is at your best interest to honor and document the original intent working with original/ac21 sponsor in fulltime same/similar occupation ( in perm/i140 ) for a reasonable amount of time.

If new circumstances prevents you from working for original/ac21 sponsor (like sponsor sacks you) document that too showing it as sponsors decision.

I think promotions (with original/ac21 sponsor) may be ok (do check with attorney) as long as you can document that the promoted job is a progression of the original occupation.

While there is no legal document setting the number of years in stone. I heard many attorneys advice to stay put for aleast 2 years.

Do publish your attorney's reply in this thread.
I-140 AD: Jan 2008
I-485 RD: July 20 2007
I-485 ND: Sept 29 2007
EAD: on second EAD
have used AC21