Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the offences we see in a similar fashion, may not be racial. Differennt communities migrated to different parts of the world and migration has always been going on and these things have been happening.

Indians or South Asians are now one of the major migrating group and if we all notice carefully - Most of the people who migrate are not ones who are migrating for a living or have problems in home countries, but are the educated, intelligent ones who are seeking greener pastures. This puts these migrants into direct competition for jobs and opportunities and they excel in all activities, their offsprings are naturally trained to excel too. Thats the reason why there is so much of hiddden hatred.

The hidden hatred does not come from a particular race - it may come from people who lost jobs, people who are not able to improve standard of living, people filled with envy.

This can also be linked with mugging - especially because highly skilled immigrants are rather meek and easy targets.

One more reason why such things keep happening is - we are all collectively naive. We notoriously do not organize ourselves as a community to fight against these things. When something wrong happens - we expect SOMEONE to be moviated enough to take action and make sure such things don't happen.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light
Default read again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoindiano View Post
Chi_Shark,

we all know "CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE", It may not be a hate crime. News items are showing that this is shaking australian government and they are coming out to condemn it and acting on it. Asking international students not travel lonely etc., I expect you to read those news items before writing some random, generalized comments.

Today there was one more attack as per Times of India.

If its not targeted towards foreign students, why would they do that?
my comment was directed towards the reaction posts... read it carefully and you might notice that there is nothing in there to say or mean that crime is acceptable. my only message is that that kind of reaction is narrow minded and needless on this site.
I-140 AD: Jan 2008
I-485 RD: July 20 2007
I-485 ND: Sept 29 2007
EAD: on second EAD
have used AC21
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about
Default Increasing trend of hate crimes

"No passengers helped Sharma during the attack, but he was helped off the train at Werribee by a witness who called the police and an ambulance.

Sharma suffered broken treeth, a fractured cheekbone and bruising in the attack."

Checking out gun-laws and carrying a fire-arm sounds a bit extreme..but looking at the current trend...safety is on the line

chalta hai attitude works till it happens to YOU...be it in any issue immigration, mugging or robbery..."be prepared" attitude suits the purpose

All and every option available for personal and family safely should be pursued. Have you got no self-respect?? Would you just sit and take the beating??

If you are over-powered, atleast PROTEST and make the voice heard...what for are the courts, police and law & order...

It is because of the chalta attitude most crimes are not prosecuted and most people take advantage of indians...stand strong people

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummgelauft View Post
I would encourage ALL immigrantsm in all countries, to check the local gun laws, and if it is allowed by law, carry a gun at all times.

This was no gang that beat up saurabh. they were just a bunch of stupid, dropout teens.
Also, I do not understand why Indian students are heading for Australia. It has NOTHING to offer. After all, it is a country of ex-convicts. Technically, all white australians, who have family roots in autralia back to the later half of 19th century, or earlier are descendants of thieves, robbers, murderers, rapists and child molesters.

Canada is a much much better choice. It is clean, quiet, calm and it proximity to US is a great thing.
how is carrying a gun going to help? you are going to point a gun at six people and walk away? Happens only in movies.

In real life:
- Either you will be jumped, lose the gun to them and then end up in a lot more hurt
- If they have a gun, your pointing a gun will immediately escalate it to the point where they'll pull the trigger on you
- If you do end up shooting someone who is taunting you with racial comments, you'll have a nice long time in jail. This is not a western movie.
The best advice is to avoid such situations as far as you can (Eg: taking a subway late at night in a rough part of town),

Not defending the aussies, but how is being a 'descendent of thieves and robbers' relevant now that this generation is 2-3 generations apart from their convict forefathers?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute ek_bechara has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gandhi is long gone

I advocate non-violence only when I deal with human beings. When it comes to animals, the treatment has to be different. The behavior of these teens is no different from rabid dogs. Monday morning quarterbacking on whether this was racism or hate crime, etc will surely assist in your latte tasting good but the fact remains that six kids were mercilessly beaten for the color of their skin. If you are not seeing a pattern then either you are blind or you mildly retarded. Pardon my judgment on your cranial content but being Gandhi is not a solution to this problem.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajrangbali View Post
"No passengers helped Sharma during the attack, but he was helped off the train at Werribee by a witness who called the police and an ambulance.

Sharma suffered broken treeth, a fractured cheekbone and bruising in the attack."

Checking out gun-laws and carrying a fire-arm sounds a bit extreme..but looking at the current trend...safety is on the line

chalta hai attitude works till it happens to YOU...be it in any issue immigration, mugging or robbery..."be prepared" attitude suits the purpose

All and every option available for personal and family safely should be pursued. Have you got no self-respect?? Would you just sit and take the beating??

If you are over-powered, atleast PROTEST and make the voice heard...what for are the courts, police and law & order...

It is because of the chalta attitude most crimes are not prosecuted and most people take advantage of indians...stand strong people
IV is one such platform created to for people like us to help oursleves collectively. The same "Chalta Hai" attitude which in my words "Notoriously disorganized" - is really important.

While we always argue that courts and law enforcement is there why should we bother - we must understand that courts and law enforcement are nothing but people like us with authority and prime duty to safeguard and keep things in order - if we are not serious about things how can we expect things to get resolved automatically?

How has crime reduced in places? It is because of public pressure on authorities to keep places safe. Public pressure is a must and the most affected or potential targets should have more drive and motivation to do something about it.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek_bechara View Post
I advocate non-violence only when I deal with human beings. When it comes to animals, the treatment has to be different. The behavior of these teens is no different from rabid dogs. Monday morning quarterbacking on whether this was racism or hate crime, etc will surely assist in your latte tasting good but the fact remains that six kids were mercilessly beaten for the color of their skin. If you are not seeing a pattern then either you are blind or you mildly retarded. Pardon my judgment on your cranial content but being Gandhi is not a solution to this problem.
Gandhiji used non voilence effectively aganst the British because he studied them thoroughly and figured out that though imperealistic - the empire was civil to some extent and some dignity. He managed to clearly communicate to them that - hey look, we don't want to fight with you - you may please leave our land and we can all be happy"

That does not work in day to day lives. Even Gandhiji has agreed that "There could be situations where one may not be able to follow all his principles"

Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

I read the whole article this time. From what I understand, I still believe it is still not a racially motivated attack. However, the hooligans still shouted racially offensive slurs at the victim, at the same time robbing him. So I think though they did not intend to attack Sourabh (victim) because he was South Asian, they just hurled those racial slurs anyway. As you can see in the video clearly, one of the attackers is South Asian too.

The attackers should be apprehended and punished for what they have done!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Gandhiji used non voilence effectively aganst the British because he studied them thoroughly and figured out that though imperealistic - the empire was civil to some extent and some dignity. He managed to clearly communicate to them that - hey look, we don't want to fight with you - you may please leave our land and we can all be happy"

That does not work in day to day lives. Even Gandhiji has agreed that "There could be situations where one may not be able to follow all his principles"
Agreed. Mahatma's non-voilence movemnet worked as he had to use it against British, at least to their credit, Sane power entity at the time. If he would have to face for an example Germany of that tim eperiod and /or today's Indian political parties, principle of non violence might have gone to the drain.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future

12 attacks in sydney just in one month. 100 attacks this year so far. Melbourne is even worst. This is serious guys...

Amitabh rejected his honorary degree from australian university, if at all that matters...
Attended DC rally
NC state chapter http://groups.google.com/group/iv-nc

Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

This can also be linked with mugging - especially because highly skilled immigrants are rather meek and easy targets.

A very weak argument indeed...Iam not sure what on earth it takes to instill some common sense into people about NOT jumping into generalization!?..period.

also, people are all over about Amitabh rejecting his whatever doctorate he was offered, which sane person on Earth, especially in entertainment business, would take that award amidst the things that are happening to our Citizens in Australia, what a big sacrifice was made. oh please, go fly a kite..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Australians are racist, OR they would have come out with a demonstration of their own against these racist people.

They are not even supporting the demonstration that the Indians are planning to have.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoindiano View Post
12 attacks in sydney just in one month. 100 attacks this year so far. Melbourne is even worst. This is serious guys...

Amitabh rejected his honorary degree from australian university, if at all that matters...
Yes, it does matter. I doubt if Amitabh needs any more publicity but regardless of whether he is doing it for more fame or not, it is the right thing to do.
He is sending a message.

and these attacks are a serious issue, even a single attack is a serious issue. and people who are trying to underplay this issue are so wrong, like this was just a wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time thing. NO, it was not.

But the indian ministers are still not gettin the point.
Sravans father (sravans the dude whos struggling for his life and if he survives will have a pemanently damaged brain), who is a poor farmer and does not have money to fund his sons medical bills, asked for help from the AP goverment.
The finance ministry responds "Your case has been filed, please wait for a response". lol.

Last edited by browncow; 05-30-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future
Default No point in Slamming Australia

Australia it selves has been a step child of western world, even the communal relationship is nowhere perfect, they have accomodated for migrants,their green card process is much better, Uk,US and India joined now, bashes Australia at every given oppurtunity.It doesnt any way undermine what has happend to Indian students in Australia.My point is Police in Australia seems to be worse than Indian police,has to blame UK for real reasons.Australia is in Asia not in western Europe for that matter,so they need to show that they are loyal to Asia not Europe,Saudis,chinese, Americans and Indians seem to have problems in Australia.At the end of day no one really hears much about Australia.It looks to me like Australia is going to learn the lesson in the tough way. Kudos for the Real Australian spirit despite some non worthy people doing some crap there.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future