Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 182
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future
Default

Lets hope for the best on this bill !
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18
NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of
Default

I agree with va_dude.

CIR will cater for a larger audience and as such it will most likely generate greater emotional response and debate. Also, given the current economic climate, "Employment Based" is not the most favorable buzz word for anyone on Capitol Hill.

We have to keep in mind that unemployment might still not improve until second quarter of next year and if the CIR is brought up this year, "Employment Based" bits in the bill are not going to get a lot of support.

In the end, the CIR may or may not even pass. So if we shoot for just one target and miss it, we lose our opportunity for this year.

If this "family bill" has been introduced which surely does not go all the way, but still indirectly goes a long, long way in alleviating the current EB problems, why not back it? This bill too may not go anywhere but the support it generates might help in the end so that some provisions might even get included in the CIR. Also, given that it is termed as a "family bill", it might generate less resistance and in the end we might have a better chance of seeing it through.

In the past both bills have been introduced and gone nowhere so it's better to try and shoot for both and hope that one hits or at least support for one has a favorable impact on the other.

I think fighting for little bites rather than for one big piece of pie might see us through or at least help bring relief to some, albeit slower than we would like but relief nonetheless.

I'm sure the IV Core knows more than I do and I just wish to point out that we should pick our fights wisely.
NWISE

Last edited by NWISE; 05-27-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
  #18  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24
mannubhai has a spectacular aura about mannubhai has a spectacular aura about
Default Need to push for the Employment Part

We have seen that for every bill which gets a chance to be presented, there is a heated debate and some compromises arrived at if the bill gets a chance to move further. I am concerned that if this bill goes the same route, the compromise would be to drop the employment part of the same.
I agree with Pappu that we need to meet lawmakers and would like to add that our agenda should be to ensure that the employment based Visa Recapture remains in the agenda.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute
Default There is so much momentum

There is so much momentum - I think, IV should join this bandwagon.

If groups supporting employment based immigration like IV are not there to explicitly support this bill, during the mark-up of this bill, our recapture clause could get eliminated under pressure.

The following two links show the amount of support from other family based groups:

Conference call audio (including Senator Menendez):

http://advancingequality.org/attachm...09-9413590.mp3

Group Website (Asian American Justice Center):
http://www.advancingequality.org/immigrationpubs/
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18
NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of NWISE has much to be proud of
Default

Interesting... someone doesn't like my post. Just wondering if it's those Anties?

Didn't think my suggestion was that good that it merit your attention

Just so you know... I don't give two hoots for those red dots but thought I'll let you know: we're slow to get together but eventually we'll roll all over you
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #21  
Old 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 330
acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute
Post Interesting poll results

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...nion_0525.html
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 182
WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future
Default Need Action from IV Core and Community

Attention all EB2 and EB3 folks who have I-485 pending at USCIS-


Currently AILA is reporting that there are two bills pending for Employment-Visa Recapture.

1.Reuniting Families Act (S. 1085) Introduced in the Senate(*)

2. Senate Judiciary Committee to Hold a Hearing on the Uniting American Families Act(**)

Reference-(*)(**) www.aila.org/

The S.1085 in the US Senate caters to specifically recapturing visa numbers for employment based category; i.e. ALL lost visas from 1997-2007 in the employment based category.

Also to remember is that re-captured employment based visas can only be used in the employment category. They CANNOT be used; repeat CANNOT be used in the Family category; however the vice-versa is true; i.e. unused Family Visas can be used in the employment category as happened last year 2008.

The second bill Uniting American Families Act is in the US House. Though the intent of this bill is not the same as the senate bill S.1085 noted above; an amendment can be made to make it the same. Currently, they are scheduling a House hearing on 3rd. June, 2009 for that bill.

We need HIGH level of action on the above two bills from IV Core and the Community; because of two reasons-
1. Adminstration has CHANGED; so one cannot assume that things which happened in past years will be the same. i.e. No action will be taken by lawmakers on the Immigration front. Remember it is the Democrats and we are back in the good Clinton year politics (which passed AC-21).
2. We need our Green Cards soon. India is the ONLY nation where 80% of EB folks are waiting for two years or more after I-485 submission, given security checkas and pre-processing has already been made for applications pending for two years.

Thanks,
WeldonSprings.
2.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
  #23  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 80
ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough
Smile Hearing scheduled for June 3rd 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldonSprings View Post

2. Senate Judiciary Committee to Hold a Hearing on the Uniting American Families Act(**)
The hearing is scheduled for next wednesday..

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings...ng.cfm?id=3876
__________________
Attended DC Rally..
Contribution Till Date: $75 + $25 recurring
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute
Default

WeldonSprings has a very valid point!

The following link shows the calendar entry for the senate hearing on "The Uniting American Families Act: Addressing Inequality in Federal Immigration Law".

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings...ng.cfm?id=3876

Folks, democrats are really serious about this bill. This hearing is not at the Immigration subcommittee level instead it is at the FULL JUDICIARY COMMITTEE level. That says, they are really serious about this bill.

Also, in my previous response (quoted below), there is an audio link in which Senator Menendez clearly says something: This bill S 1085 is a pre-cursor to the comprehensive immigration reform. That means, this is like building a border, which is the pre-cursor that anti-immigrants are asking for. Anti-immigrants often argued that, before dealing with the Undocumented immigrants issue, we need to make sure the problems with the Legal immigration should be fixed and the laws should be enforced including border protection. Democrats are using that point to fix the existing problems of the legal immigration system as a pre-cursor to the CIR which will deal with the fate of the Undocumented immigrants.

So, folks even if there is no chance for the passage of CIR this year, passage of a PRE-CURSOR bill is very much possible. Now the Full Senate Committee hearing shows something - Democrats are showing the will to deal with this issue (at least at the Legal Immigration front).

Iron is getting hotter....May be it's just a matter of time to find out when we can strike.


Quote:
Originally Posted by realizeit View Post
There is so much momentum - I think, IV should join this bandwagon.

If groups supporting employment based immigration like IV are not there to explicitly support this bill, during the mark-up of this bill, our recapture clause could get eliminated under pressure.

The following two links show the amount of support from other family based groups:

Conference call audio (including Senator Menendez):

http://advancingequality.org/attachm...09-9413590.mp3

Group Website (Asian American Justice Center):
http://www.advancingequality.org/immigrationpubs/
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #25  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 155
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light
Default need action

IV core needs to follow this and raise funds for this cause if necessary.... peace meal strategy is the only strategy that we can do in this economic conditions... do not go for CIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldonSprings View Post
Attention all EB2 and EB3 folks who have I-485 pending at USCIS-


Currently AILA is reporting that there are two bills pending for Employment-Visa Recapture.

1.Reuniting Families Act (S. 1085) Introduced in the Senate(*)

2. Senate Judiciary Committee to Hold a Hearing on the Uniting American Families Act(**)

Reference-(*)(**) www.aila.org/

The S.1085 in the US Senate caters to specifically recapturing visa numbers for employment based category; i.e. ALL lost visas from 1997-2007 in the employment based category.

Also to remember is that re-captured employment based visas can only be used in the employment category. They CANNOT be used; repeat CANNOT be used in the Family category; however the vice-versa is true; i.e. unused Family Visas can be used in the employment category as happened last year 2008.

The second bill Uniting American Families Act is in the US House. Though the intent of this bill is not the same as the senate bill S.1085 noted above; an amendment can be made to make it the same. Currently, they are scheduling a House hearing on 3rd. June, 2009 for that bill.

We need HIGH level of action on the above two bills from IV Core and the Community; because of two reasons-
1. Adminstration has CHANGED; so one cannot assume that things which happened in past years will be the same. i.e. No action will be taken by lawmakers on the Immigration front. Remember it is the Democrats and we are back in the good Clinton year politics (which passed AC-21).
2. We need our Green Cards soon. India is the ONLY nation where 80% of EB folks are waiting for two years or more after I-485 submission, given security checkas and pre-processing has already been made for applications pending for two years.

Thanks,
WeldonSprings.
2.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 80
ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgour View Post
The hearing is scheduled for next wednesday..

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings...ng.cfm?id=3876

Sorry to spoil the party guys..but it seems this hearing is for
S 424 - Uniting American Families Act of 2009

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111NlehB4::

and not S.1085 Reuniting Families Act ...

I hope someone proves me wrong....
__________________
Attended DC Rally..
Contribution Till Date: $75 + $25 recurring
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 182
WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future WeldonSprings has a brilliant future
Default Correct, but???

That is correct! The bills in the house and senate coming up for discussion does not mention visa re-capture. However, Please look at the titles-don't they sound the same. The contents are different. The content of S.424 is to give permanent residents the same STATUS as US citizens so that they can sponsor their wives, parents, brothers, sisters and doggies...So an amendment is necessary. That's why I have written in the original post-

'The second bill Uniting American Families Act is in the US House. Though the intent of this bill is not the same as the senate bill S.1085 noted above; an amendment can be made to make it the same. Currently, they are scheduling a House hearing on 3rd. June, 2009 for that bill.'

Friends, please use these two bills to gather momentum for congress. That is our ONLY hope for Summer 2009!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgour View Post
Sorry to spoil the party guys..but it seems this hearing is for
S 424 - Uniting American Families Act of 2009

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111NlehB4::

and not S.1085 Reuniting Families Act ...

I hope someone proves me wrong....
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute realizeit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Not Really

My humble disagreement here...

Even though the hearing has been scheduled for the bill S 424, the hearings are not tightly linked to a specific bill. Hearings are a means to collect the data related to the issue at hand. The hearing results can be used to a wide range of related bills. S 1085 is a very similar bill and the emphasis of this bill is also reuniting families. During markup of whichever bill they pickup, they can amend the new pieces of the other bill.

If it is a markup, then, it is tightly linked to the bill.

So, definitely the party remains in good standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgour View Post
Sorry to spoil the party guys..but it seems this hearing is for
S 424 - Uniting American Families Act of 2009

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111NlehB4::

and not S.1085 Reuniting Families Act ...

I hope someone proves me wrong....
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #29  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 80
ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizeit View Post
My humble disagreement here...

Even though the hearing has been scheduled for the bill S 424, the hearings are not tightly linked to a specific bill. Hearings are a means to collect the data related to the issue at hand. The hearing results can be used to a wide range of related bills. S 1085 is a very similar bill and the emphasis of this bill is also reuniting families. During markup of whichever bill they pickup, they can amend the new pieces of the other bill.

If it is a markup, then, it is tightly linked to the bill.

So, definitely the party remains in good standing
Thanks for the positive view dude..Cheers!!!
__________________
Attended DC Rally..
Contribution Till Date: $75 + $25 recurring
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 952
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default It is time to build some momentum

It is time to build some momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openarms View Post
IV core needs to follow this and raise funds for this cause if necessary.... peace meal strategy is the only strategy that we can do in this economic conditions... do not go for CIR
__________________
Support Fairness! DONATE
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visa Recapture Bill in the Kitchen. aadimanav Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 4 09-11-2009 09:02 PM
Visa Recapture Bill Reintroduced in Senate newbie2020 IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 54 07-24-2009 09:17 PM
ACTION ITEM: For Bill S. 1085 realizeit Action Items for everyone 3 06-02-2009 01:00 PM
Cross reference for Visa Recapture Bill transpass Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 0 07-30-2008 02:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 (Unregistered)
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org