Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts
Default kindergarten for kids who are not 5 years on sep 1 in Texas

I am trying to find out options to enroll kids into kindergarten who are not 5 yrs on sep 1 in the state of Texas.

Plano ISD or Frisco ISD.

if any one has any info around this, please do share.

Any one who has already enrolled their kids who have missed a calender year just because of few days or one month, please share your expeirence.

I would appreciate your help in this regards.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts venkataramesh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageshg View Post
I am trying to find out options to enroll kids into kindergarten who are not 5 yrs on sep 1 in the state of Texas.

Plano ISD or Frisco ISD.

if any one has any info around this, please do share.

Any one who has already enrolled their kids who have missed a calender year just because of few days or one month, please share your expeirence.

I would appreciate your help in this regards.

Consult your school districts Gifted Talent Coordinator. They should be able discuss with you the options. Normally Gifte Talent Coordinators monitor exceptional kids and accelerate grades. It worked for my december born kid in Minnesota where October 31st is the last date they accept under any exceptions. They do some psychological testing for an hour to make sure the kid is ready for kindergarten.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts nageshg is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkataramesh View Post
Consult your school districts Gifted Talent Coordinator. They should be able discuss with you the options. Normally Gifte Talent Coordinators monitor exceptional kids and accelerate grades. It worked for my december born kid in Minnesota where October 31st is the last date they accept under any exceptions. They do some psychological testing for an hour to make sure the kid is ready for kindergarten.

Hope this is helpful.
I have tried all the options that i am aware of

in Texas

Frisco ISD: a kid who is just missing kindergarten by few days or months has to take TAKS test (3 rd grade math and reading) to be enrolled into kindergarten

Plano ISD: a kid has to be 5 yrs (in my case he will be 5 yrs and 10 months) and be enrolled in kindergarten and in dec he has to be 6 yrs to take TEKS test, where he will be accelerated to 1st grades. (TEKS 3rd grade math, english, reading, skills, etc)

I talked to adivisior in Frisco ISD and she said the program is to discourage in order to wait until he is 5 yrs on sep 1 and then enroll into kindergarten

If any one has any exp please do provide me. thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute

Send to private schools for an year and enroll in KG next year.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE if you force your kid to enroll in KG this year. You kid will be the youngest in the class and needs to compete with older kids rest of his/her schooling years.

So wait (it will be hard if both parents are working), send to private school programs here and there till next year.

Next year, He/She will be the big boss in class

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Private School

Enroll in private school and move on to public in Grade-1.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
dkin007 has a spectacular aura about dkin007 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneagle View Post
Enroll in private school and move on to public in Grade-1.
School date of birth rule is for KG and Grade - 1.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

Our eldest daughter was enrolled a year early (Dec born, August cutoff). We had to talk to the principals of the local public schools until we found one that let her get enrolled.

However, unless you are short on money, I would not recommend enrolling early at all. It will be better to wait a year or even two years before starting school. That way the child has an easier time in school, and may even get into the local gifted program. Plus, there is always the option of skipping grades later on, if the child isn't being challenged enough.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light urbaneagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkin007 View Post
School date of birth rule is for KG and Grade - 1.
I am speaking of my personal experience. Our Private School interviewed my kid by spending half an hour playing games, conversing about various topics to allow us to enroll. Once graduated from KG, it was allowed to enroll in to G-1 in public system.

Again, rules may vary state to state but worth finding out……

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute anu_t has a reputation beyond repute

There is no short cut in Texas schools to skip the 1 sept Dead line . So do wait patiently for next year. I know it sounds harsh but that is a reality. the rules are so strict that there in no loophole in a system. Trust me the rules are beneficial to your kid.

Now if your kid can pass the TAKS exam then no problem at all.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageshg View Post
Why are you trying to save a year and make your child the youngest in the class? I used to think the same way, but I have now realized that its MUCH better to be the oldest kid in the class than being the youngest. Ceteris paribus, the older kid will always have a competitive advantage over her classmates and eventually it's the performance/results that matter - regardless of whether the performance was achieved 1 year sooner or later.

If you get a chance, please do read this book:
"Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell

Contributions to IV so far: $1500+

Lady Macbeth: We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking-place, And we'll NOT fail!

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Everything written here is my personal opinion and may or may not be legally valid. Please consult a qualified legal advisor before making any decision.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Why are you trying to save a year and make your child the youngest in the class? I used to think the same way, but I have now realized that its MUCH better to be the oldest kid in the class than being the youngest. Ceteris paribus, the older kid will always have a competitive advantage over her classmates and eventually it's the performance/results that matter - regardless of whether the performance was achieved 1 year sooner or later.

thanks to all of you

Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute gclabor07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently reading the book you mentioned. It has a whole chapter devoted to cut-off dates for school admissions. I was quite surprised at the findings myself, but they do make sense because the kid has a longer time to develop the skills (as long as kid keeps on learning while waiting to be admitted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post

Priority: July 2007 EB2 India
Contributed to IV: $550
Attended Advocacy Days 2011 in Washington, DC

Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgclive View Post
Send to private schools for an year and enroll in KG next year.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE if you force your kid to enroll in KG this year. You kid will be the youngest in the class and needs to compete with older kids rest of his/her schooling years.

So wait (it will be hard if both parents are working), send to private school programs here and there till next year.

Next year, He/She will be the big boss in class
That's a nice option if one can afford a private school.

As far as I know, a lot of us are one year off here and there and I don't really think there is a need to push kids in race. One year here and there - they are fine, I think we think too much about these things.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclabor07 View Post
I'm currently reading the book you mentioned. It has a whole chapter devoted to cut-off dates for school admissions. I was quite surprised at the findings myself, but they do make sense because the kid has a longer time to develop the skills (as long as kid keeps on learning while waiting to be admitted).
Is it downloadable ? can you send the URL if you don't mind ?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/23/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/24/2012
Compare
dexter has a spectacular aura about dexter has a spectacular aura about dexter has a spectacular aura about
Default Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amman View Post
Is it downloadable ? can you send the URL if you don't mind ?
here you go - http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story...5810705&sr=1-1