Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alert: Fraud warning.

One IV member reported this. This is not a hoax but a real incident. We are reporting this to DHS. At the same time, we would like to make IV members aware if this.

----------- reported by IV member-------

I received an interesting call posing as USCIS. Thought of sharing the info here.

The call started stating that the call is from USCIS and they are calling, regarding a letter that USCIS sent to us 30 days Back. The letter was supposedly to notify missing information (CISA#), that we missed entering at airport. As per the caller, we failed to respond to the letter and USCIS will take legal action. As the thirty days given to respond is getting over; to avoid legal action we have to pay a fine of $600. And we have only 24 hours to pay the fine!! They were not responding to my question on how to prove USCIS with missing information, but more interested in getting the fine paid!!

Interestingly, when asked; how to pay the fine? They responded saying we have to make the payment through Western Union Money Transfer J. As per the caller, Since we are from India, we have to pay the fine to USCIS, India through Western Union Money Transfer. I tried getting the details on where to transfer the money, but the callers got suspicious and they did not reveal the western union money transfer details immediately. They were even helping me to find the nearest western union center based on my address J(Unfortunately they have my address and phone number from some source). The caller then offered another mode of payment “Credit Card”!!. But I insisted on getting the payment done through Western Union Money transfer and kept asking where to transfer money, but looks like they felt that they are being probed and they did not reveal the money transfer destination. At this point I lost patient and called them fraud and tried to disconnect the call, then the caller transferred (pressed few keys in the phone and handed over the phone to another person) the call to senior officer. The last person (senior officer J ) started bit rude on the call and started threatening to deport us and kept asking my information. But when I did not reveal any of my identity; the “senior officer” started revealing the true color with bit more “rude language”. The callers were speaking with made up accent.

Even though it was bit worrying initially, soon we realized it was a fraud call and did not reveal any identity. I have reported this incidence to <Legal> and <Legal>is taking care of reporting this to USCIS.

Please beware of any such calls.

· Check if the Callers number is a valid number (This call was from a number 101192519!!! Must be calling using some Internet App)

USCIS
· Will never ask you to pay fine through western union money transfer to India.
· Will never be more interested in getting money than getting the missing information.
· Will never ask your details like Visa Number i-94 number, Name Address etc. They may try to verify the info that they have.

· Never reveal you identity or PII to any callers posing as Bank or USCIS, if they are calling you they must be having the information about you.

If any of you get this call, Act as if you are worried and scared, and ready to pay the money through Western Union Money transfer J and somehow try to get the destination of this money transfer which will help tracking these scamsters.

But please do not reveal any of your identity (And do not worry if they have your address and phone number, Its pretty easy for anyone to get these info)

--------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/23/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing .

It happened to one of my friend here last weekend. Poor guy transferred $1900 to their account in India. Because he said you are India thats why you have to transfer in Indian account.

Then he called me . I provided him USCIS Fraud and Detection Deptt. phone No. They took care of rest. He got his money back though.
* Called members of Hispanic Caucus
* Approached local people to join IV

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wow

Thanks for sharing!

Do not post your personnel information on any of the online forums.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vine93 View Post
Thanks for sharing .

It happened to one of my friend here last weekend. Poor guy transferred $1900 to their account in India. Because he said you are India thats why you have to transfer in Indian account.

Then he called me . I provided him USCIS Fraud and Detection Deptt. phone No. They took care of rest. He got his money back though.
Glad that your friend was able to get his money back in his pocket.
Just wondering how did your friend got his money back? USCIS helped him or he himself figured it out?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_1000Watt View Post
Glad that your friend was able to get his money back in his pocket.
Just wondering how did your friend got his money back? USCIS helped him or he himself figured it out?
what do you mean your friend got the money back???? most likely the transfer failed to happen because if the money was actually tansfered how do you think CIS can help to get the money particularly if it is from India I think you were not told the whole story Money once wired is gone. there is no getting it back unfortunately.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
what do you mean your friend got the money back???? most likely the transfer failed to happen because if the money was actually tansfered how do you think CIS can help to get the money particularly if it is from India I think you were not told the whole story Money once wired is gone. there is no getting it back unfortunately.
That is exactly why I was wondering how did he got money back
Anyways good for him that the transaction didn't go thru

Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks Pappu

Appreciate all the help from IV
GREENED ON 8/03/10
WAIT_FOR_EVER's - WAIT_IS_OVER