Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Carol is on a distinguished road
Angry My employer is not sending me my W-2, how can i file for tax refund?

I need to file for my tax refund now, but my employer is not sending me my W-2.

I used to work in US for 3 months under a program called Work and Travel. My employer is supposed to send me my W-2 now, but they haven't. When i checked with them, they told me as they never received my social security, a W-2 was never issued under my name. But the fact is that, they sent me an email last August telling me that they sent out my social security card on 23/07/2008. However the problem is that as they did not note down the correct address, the mail was lost (Anyway i am going to the US Embassy in my country to retrieve it). So i think they were cheating.
When i told my manager about this email, she explained saying that it was not about the social security. She said the W-2 was sent to them after i had left US, so while they never had it when my checks were issued. So it was never sent to their corporate as i am no longer working for them. And i think they are cheating me again.
I do not really understand how this works. Is her explanation reasonable?

What shall i do for my tax refund now?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts

1 It is your resp to send ur SSN to the company.

2 Call the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 and file a W2 complaint. They wil take a report and send you a form that you can use as a subsitute, you will need your last paycheck stub when you call, along with the name, address and phone# of the employer and what dates you worked for them
Source(s):
Internal Revenue Service
1-800-829-1040

Employer has the liability to send the W2 form by Jan 31st and they need to keep proof for that. When u complain IRS will ask to send the proof and fine them 300$.

After getting the notice even if company doesnt give the W2 form u can use the substitue form which will be mailed by IRS once u complain.

Rajesh

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all
Default Check this out...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4744719_file-taxes-w-form.html