Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public Charge and I 485

Hello All

Friend of mine is applying for I 485 . And confused about One perticular question in form. Question is

Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the U.S.Government or any State,county, city, or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future? YES / NO .

His wife had used Medicaid and WIC for prenetal care when she was on F2 Visa. My Friend was in F1 visa by that time. He took opinion from two different law firm and got totally different response. One firm says Medicaid and WIC are not part of public charge so donot put YES there. Another firm is asking to put YES and explain in seprate sheet. Does any one has same or simillar situation and already filled I 485 or got gc.

These are docs I found on USCIS for public charge

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cqa.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/Public.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cfs.pdf

Please help in this matter. Any suggestion welcome.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
ndny is on a distinguished road
Default Hope below will help..be tension free

Are there public benefits that aliens can legally receive without worrying that they will be considered a public charge?

A: Yes. Not all publicly funded benefits will be considered in deciding whether someone is or is likely to become a public charge. The focus of the public charge definition is on cash benefits for income maintenance and institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. Examples of benefits that will not be considered for public charge purposes include:

Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, prenatal care, etc.), other support for institutionalization for long-term care, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Nutrition programs including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and Breakfast programs, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs:

Housing assistance
Child care services
Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Emergency disaster relief
Foster care and adoption assistance
Educational assistance, including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education
Job training programs
In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter).

Are health care benefits and enrollment in health insurance programs like Medicaid and CHIP considered for public charge purposes?

A: No, not unless an alien is primarily dependent on the government for subsistence as demonstrated by institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. In particular, USCIS and the State Department will not consider participation in Medicaid, CHIP, or similar state-funded programs, for public charge purposes. This approach will help to safeguard public health while still allowing USCIS and the State Department to identify people who are primarily dependent on the government for subsistence by looking to the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance. In addition, short-term institutionalization for rehabilitation will not be considered for public charge purposes.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default His question is YES or NO in I 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndny View Post
Are there public benefits that aliens can legally receive without worrying that they will be considered a public charge?

A: Yes. Not all publicly funded benefits will be considered in deciding whether someone is or is likely to become a public charge. The focus of the public charge definition is on cash benefits for income maintenance and institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. Examples of benefits that will not be considered for public charge purposes include:

Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, prenatal care, etc.), other support for institutionalization for long-term care, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Nutrition programs including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and Breakfast programs, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs:

Housing assistance
Child care services
Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Emergency disaster relief
Foster care and adoption assistance
Educational assistance, including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education
Job training programs
In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter).

Are health care benefits and enrollment in health insurance programs like Medicaid and CHIP considered for public charge purposes?

A: No, not unless an alien is primarily dependent on the government for subsistence as demonstrated by institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. In particular, USCIS and the State Department will not consider participation in Medicaid, CHIP, or similar state-funded programs, for public charge purposes. This approach will help to safeguard public health while still allowing USCIS and the State Department to identify people who are primarily dependent on the government for subsistence by looking to the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance. In addition, short-term institutionalization for rehabilitation will not be considered for public charge purposes.
Point is should he put YES or NO in I 485. If he does put YES I am sure in given environment he will get RFE for his wife.

I just want to see if some has same or simillar situation..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Chargeability