Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
immigvoic is on a distinguished road
Default Tricky Situation..Need Urgent Advice!!

Hi,

My current status is

I currently work for Company A (on H1B) and Company B is processing my GC (EB2, I140 approved; I485 in process) .

This month, I found a new job with Company C which I have to join on EAD (they don't do H1Bs). Also, in this month's bulletin, my PD became current. I had a few concerns/questions

1) Could the change in employment trigger any flags since I am changing companies and this is a future employment GC case (though its almost 3 years since the I-485 was filed)

2) What do you suggest I do since its so close? I waited all this time just not to complicate things (and remain on H1) but then as soon as have to start work on EAD, the date also becomes current (which I am definitely very happy about ) but now since both these events are so close, I am not sure what to do.

3) What other things are there to keep in mind in case of a future employment case?

Thanks for all the help,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you, I would not do it. Just like you said, you are so close, it is not worth taking a chance. Once you get GC in your hand, world is wide open for you. You mess up with GC, you get a royal pain@ass for years. That is how I think about it.
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough

I would wait for the GC before changing jobs. Why take a chance when you are almost there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigvoic View Post
Hi,

My current status is

I currently work for Company A (on H1B) and Company B is processing my GC (EB2, I140 approved; I485 in process) .

This month, I found a new job with Company C which I have to join on EAD (they don't do H1Bs). Also, in this month's bulletin, my PD became current. I had a few concerns/questions

1) Could the change in employment trigger any flags since I am changing companies and this is a future employment GC case (though its almost 3 years since the I-485 was filed)

2) What do you suggest I do since its so close? I waited all this time just not to complicate things (and remain on H1) but then as soon as have to start work on EAD, the date also becomes current (which I am definitely very happy about ) but now since both these events are so close, I am not sure what to do.

3) What other things are there to keep in mind in case of a future employment case?

Thanks for all the help,

Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
: