Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute
Default IDEA: Conditional Pledge to Dept Of Education

OK this is just an idea. If IV supports this idea then i am ready to go by it.

================================================== ===============================
IDEA: CONDITIONAL PLEDGE

I am ready to pledge $1000 to any program associated with Department of Education (specially Science and Math programs) IF Congress passes the amendements to bring relief to Legal High Skilled Immigrants before the end of current session.

The plight of legal high skilled immigrants and their ask list is well documented. The congress has just chosen to ignore the requests due to disagreements on COMPLETELY UNRELATED issues of illegal immigration and H1-B visas. ================================================== ================================

Basic Principles:

1. Collect the funds, contributors names and addresses in a holding account.
2. IF Congress meets the condition, provide the funds to Dept of Education.
3. IF the Congress does not meet the condition, return the funds to original contributor.
4. IF some of the contributors so choose, they can still go ahead and donate either full or part of the sum to Department of Ed..

================================================== ===================================

Me doing it alone may seem inconsequential, but even if 100 other IV members join a similar pledge and we advertise well, this could become meaningful. If IV likes the idea i can try to give it a more concrete shape. We need to cover the following Key aspects:

1. Managing Transactions (deposits, and if necessary refunds): Need to store , name, address and contributions on a holding account. We can piggy back on what core already has.

2. Legalities of the matter. Our conditional pledge is meant for a non profit organization. It is conditional upon congressional action on something that will benefit us.

================================================== =
Also please don't turn this into a 'contribution to IV' or 'join state chapter' issue as i already support those efforts and this idea is meant as an additional incentive to Congress to break free of their laziness.

Last edited by another one; 10-05-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added comments
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great idea - shows noble character - sets us apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by another one View Post
OK this is just an idea. If IV supports this idea then i am ready to go by it.

================================================== ===============================
IDEA:

I am ready to pledge $1000 to any program associated with Department of Education (specially Science and Math programs) IF Congress passes the amendements to bring relief to Legal High Skilled Immigrants before the end of current session.

The plight of legal high skilled immigrants and their ask list is well documented. The congress has just chosen to ignore the requests due to disagreements on COMPLETELY UNRELATED issues of illegal immigration and H1-B visas. ================================================== ================================

Me doing it alone may seem inconsequential, but even if 100 other IV members join a similar pledge and we advertise well, this could become meaningful. If IV likes the idea i can try to give it a more concrete shape.

Also please don't turn this into a 'contribution to IV' or 'join state chapter' issue as i already support those efforts and this idea is meant as an additional incentive to Congress to break free of their laziness.

I'll join this too if we can get a group

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all
Default absolutely brilliant

I agree. After all a portion of our H1 fees (for those us in H1) goes towards an education fund anyway.

If IV core agrees on this plan. We should rope in atleast 10,000 people. Even a $100 pledge each will translate into $1mil which will look good in media headlines - 'High skilled legal immigrants pledge $1million towards US higher education'.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all
Thumbs up Very good idea

Count me in. This is way better than the flower and stopper campaign. I think we should do this. Even if we don't get any of the result we expect we can be happy that we did this for a noble cause.
I485 Appl Mailed - 5Jul2007
I485 Appl ND - 7Sep2007
FP date -??
I485 Approval - ??

Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapota View Post
I agree. After all a portion of our H1 fees (for those us in H1) goes towards an education fund anyway.

If IV core agrees on this plan. We should rope in atleast 10,000 people. Even a $100 pledge each will translate into $1mil which will look good in media headlines - 'High skilled legal immigrants pledge $1million towards US higher education'.
Rope 10000 people from where? They won't donate $10 to IV...are you sure they are gonna donate $1000?

BTW...I join this pledge (seems like a great idea).

Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2010
Compare
garybanz is a jewel in the rough garybanz is a jewel in the rough garybanz is a jewel in the rough garybanz is a jewel in the rough

I am in

- Contributed over $500 to IV
- Got the GC after about 7 years of stay in the US.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ron_ny_2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Very good Idea

I am ready to pledge the same to US - Department of Education.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
loudoggs is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Good idea

I will chip in if we can form a group....seems like a great incentive to get congress moving....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybanz View Post
I am in

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute

OK looks like we are gaining some momentum here.

Basic Principles:

1. Collect the funds, contributors names and addresses in a holding account.
2. IF Congress meets the condition, provide the funds to Dept of Education.
3. IF the Congress does not meet the condition, return the funds to original contributor.
4. IF some of the contributors so choose, they can still go ahead and donate either full or part of the sum to Department of Ed..

Does anyone have experience in creating such a holding accounting? Maybe if IV supports, they can help. Not sure of the legalities involved. We need to be very confident about being able to manage the account and return donations if the conditions are not met.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
iOptimist is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Star Idea!

You have my support. Money moves mountains in congress, especially during election times.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold
Default will it work?

I doubt, it more sounds like buying GC, but if experts/Core gives green signalwe can go ahead. One thing for sure, as someone said earlier they can't get $10 to IV then $100 is like day dreaming.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
satyachowdary is infamous around these parts satyachowdary is infamous around these parts
Default Count Me

I'm In

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1bslave View Post
I doubt, it more sounds like buying GC, but if experts/Core gives green signalwe can go ahead. One thing for sure, as someone said earlier they can't get $10 to IV then $100 is like day dreaming.

The difference here is money will be returned in case congress does not take action.

The basic question that everyone has to answer is whether one is ready donate to Dept of Ed once congress takes positive action on the amendments.

The money, of course, will have to be kept upfront in a holding account to make this real.

Also, we are not buying anything as we are only donating to a government sponsored program.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of

I am in for $100.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough
Default Great Idea

We can not contribute money to Election Candidates, but it is a way to put our money to influence congress, and set us apart from illegals and at the same time win goodwill of people.

However still the challenge is to get all the IV members to contribute. By the way I am in.
Partial Sponsor of a ticket to DC Rally

PD: June 2002
I-485 Filed: June 29th 2007