Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kroy1976 is infamous around these parts kroy1976 is infamous around these parts
Default AC21 -Travelling on AP - kind assitance needed from a fellow IMV fellow

Hi,

First let me thank you all for providing and maintaining such a forum where one can get all the answers related with immigration. This is truly amazing.

I am a july 2007 filer. My priority date in October 2006. My I 140 was approved in January 2007. I was laid off by my original GC sponsoring company in April 2009. Fortunately, I was able to get a new job under same responsibility description, before my last day with the GC sponsoring employer. I had invoked my AC21 on April 10,2009 and had switched job.

I have a AP, valid through January 2011 and a EAD valid through August 2010.
Mu H1B and I 94 has been expired alost an year now. I am working and staying in the country with EAD now with an AOS status.

I need to travel to India to address some urgent family now. Do you think my travel on AP (especially after invoking Ac21) in risky. I will be travelling through JFK. Has anyone travelled through JFK on AP after invoking AC21?

Any information will be highly appreciated.
Folowinga are the documents, that I would be carrying:

a) I 140 approval notice.
b) I 485 receipt notice.
c) valid EAD
d) valid AP
e) AC21 protability letter from my immegration layer.
f) I 140 support letter from my new employer.
g) Offer letter from my new employer.
h) termination letter from my earlier employer.
i) Address proof
j)W2

Can anyone let me know their expirence if faced similar situation please.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default dont worry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy1976 View Post
Hi,

First let me thank you all for providing and maintaining such a forum where one can get all the answers related with immigration. This is truly amazing.

I am a july 2007 filer. My priority date in October 2006. My I 140 was approved in January 2007. I was laid off by my original GC sponsoring company in April 2009. Fortunately, I was able to get a new job under same responsibility description, before my last day with the GC sponsoring employer. I had invoked my AC21 on April 10,2009 and had switched job.

I have a AP, valid through January 2011 and a EAD valid through August 2010.
Mu H1B and I 94 has been expired alost an year now. I am working and staying in the country with EAD now with an AOS status.

I need to travel to India to address some urgent family now. Do you think my travel on AP (especially after invoking Ac21) in risky. I will be travelling through JFK. Has anyone travelled through JFK on AP after invoking AC21?

Any information will be highly appreciated.
Folowinga are the documents, that I would be carrying:

a) I 140 approval notice.
b) I 485 receipt notice.
c) valid EAD
d) valid AP
e) AC21 protability letter from my immegration layer.
f) I 140 support letter from my new employer.
g) Offer letter from my new employer.
h) termination letter from my earlier employer.
i) Address proof
j)W2

Can anyone let me know their expirence if faced similar situation please.
do not worry..its going to be perfectly alright. i travelled thru jfk using my AP after using ac21 twice. infact i only gave my passport, along with new i94 filled up , with a copy of the AP at the port of entry to the officer. no questions asked. just remain calm and answer any questions asked politely. AP is for this exact purpose which helps you to exit and enter country during this excruciating time of 485 approval waiting. so, you are good to go as long as you have a valid AP, infact I travelled once using AP, when I didnt have a job here. all it matters when you reenter is if you have a valid AP/VISA to enter the country.

On a different note, please update your profile. people value that a lot here..
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute

Recently travelled through EWR using AP without any issues. No questions asked. Only issue was the wait time in the secondary inspection room. There were about 25-30 people waiting infront of me. It took one hour 30 mins to finish the process at the secondary inspection room.

On a side note, if you are travelling through Frankfurt airport, don't buy liqour either in US or India b'coz the security people won't allow liqour bought on non-European countries and non-european airlines.I have to throw away the stuff in the airport.

Last edited by newuser; 04-13-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Exclamation

Thanks a lot for the reply.
I have talked with lawyer regarding this.
She has the following to Say:

a) Ac21 is perfectly legal thing and many of her clients are traveling on AP under AC21 and do not have any issue.
b) CBP officers know about this and there is nothing to worry.
c) If the CBP officer is getting two suspicious they can't deport me. They have to parole me and then run a case or check on me. Where my lawyer can talk with them and make thenm understand that everything is OK
d) she assures me that there is nothing to worry and I can go and come back hassle free.

Do you people think all of these statements are correct?

Thanks a lot.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default pls tell me..

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I have talked with lawyer regarding this.
She has the following to Say:

a) Ac21 is perfectly legal thing and many of her clients are traveling on AP under AC21 and do not have any issue.
b) CBP officers know about this and there is nothing to worry.
c) If the CBP officer is getting two suspicious they can't deport me. They have to parole me and then run a case or check on me. Where my lawyer can talk with them and make thenm understand that everything is OK
d) she assures me that there is nothing to worry and I can go and come back hassle free.

Do you people think all of these statements are correct?

Thanks a lot.
pls tell me how much different it is from what I have response for your original query..
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes, your reply is exactly same as her. But she added one more point. According to her The CBP officer can't deport a AP bearer. He/she has to parole the person and then can schedule a secondary check for I 140 validity. In such case my attorney can pitch in.

But I am not sure if this is true or she is being over assuring.

Thanks a lot

Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default Listen kroy..

Quote:
Yes, your reply is exactly same as her. But she added one more point. According to her The CBP officer can't deport a AP bearer. He/she has to parole the person and then can schedule a secondary check for I 140 validity. In such case my attorney can pitch in.

But I am not sure if this is true or she is being over assuring.

Thanks a lot
Listen kroy, All I can say is, people can share general info and their common experiences in these areas as to what they went through. I think its up to you to figure out the best case and the worst case scenario for yourself. Obviously neither me, nor your lawyer is going to be with you, when you go thru the CBP officer. My strong opinion would be to use all these information as a filler in your case and hope for the best. Good Luck!!!
R2I'd in Feb 2011.