Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
av2004 is a jewel in the rough av2004 is a jewel in the rough av2004 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Schumer and Graham's Immigration Proposal

Jus read the article "The right way to mend immigration" on the Washington Post. Here was an interesting passage:

Ensuring economic prosperity requires attracting the world's best and brightest. Our legislation would award green cards to immigrants who receive a PhD or master's degree in science, technology, engineering or math from a U.S. university. It makes no sense to educate the world's future inventors and entrepreneurs and then force them to leave when they are able to contribute to our economy.

I hope they do enact such a legislation that will give relief to so many Indian and Chinese students who have studied in US and are working here!!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of gopinathan has much to be proud of
Default been there... seen that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2004 View Post
......Washington Post.......

... award green cards ...master's degree ...no sense to force them to leave ....
just another post from WP to bring some traffic of hopefuls to their site..

yeah, they are awarding GCs today.. it takes forever but they are coming..

forcing us to leave? aren't we the smartest to innovate and endure to stay as long as possible.. some are leaving - yeah - but they will be back they have the usual suspects to blame (pollution, quality of life blah blah..)

end of the day, its just another article..

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all

Obama backs senators immigration overhaul outline - Yahoo! News

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
visaguy123 is on a distinguished road

The proposed framework does not talk about addressing the existing employment-based visa backlog.

Here's another opinion piece which mentions the same concern - http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...framework.html.
"...Reform efforts will stumble and likely fail without a mechanism to ensure that close family members are swiftly reunited and the bulging visa backlog is reduced..."

Last edited by visaguy123; 03-18-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2009
Compare
kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Luis Gutierrez switched his "no" to "yes" for healthcare reform after "long discussion" with Obama...guess what deal did he get??? Good chance for CIR soon...

In any case we need to straighten up our priorities for CIR.

My only suggestion:

"Any provision for legalization of illegals must have a separate and dedicated system to handle it; as existing system is already overburdened".

This is my only fear with CIR; last thing we want is to "choke up" the current system.
I 140 approved: Sep 2008 Nebraska Service Center
EB1A: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
EB2 NIW: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
I-485 filed Dec 2009
I-485 approved April 2010

Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondur_007 View Post
Luis Gutierrez switched his "no" to "yes" for healthcare reform after "long discussion" with Obama...guess what deal did he get??? Good chance for CIR soon...

My only suggestion:

"Any provision for legalization of illegals must have a separate and dedicated system to handle it; as existing system is already overburdened".

This is my only fear with CIR; last thing we want is to "choke up" the current system.
Your suggestion is noted.

So just because you want your greencard, you want government to start a new United states Immigration services for illegals opened. Don't forget these undocumented have more political and financial power than us. Just see how many Indians contribute money here. Illegals have more people to care for them compared to us. Have you seen any Indian organization of US citizens fighting for us and donating for this organization?
So let us stop trying to take a high road just because we are legals. Legals have no political power when compared to undocumented.It is better to support undocumented and help them if we want greencard. If their CIR passes, only then we will also get our greencard.

Last edited by imh1b; 03-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
la6470 has a spectacular aura about la6470 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by imh1b View Post
Your suggestion is noted.

So just because you want your greencard, you want government to start a new United states Immigration services for illegals opened. Don't forget these undocumented have more political and financial power than us. Just see how many Indians contribute money. We prefer to save for our own luxuries that donating. They have more people to care for them compared to us. Have you seen any Indian organization of US citizens fighting for us and donating for this organization?
So let us stop trying to take a high road just because we are legals. Legals have no political power when compared to undocumented.It is better to support undocumented and help them if we want greencard. If their CIR passes, only then we will also get our greencard.
well said ... just a interesting fact: roughly indians are 1/6th of the global population.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
solraj is infamous around these parts solraj is infamous around these parts solraj is infamous around these parts
Default PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama in Immigration Dance

Intresting article

PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama in Immigration Dance - ABC News

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Compare
nc14 is on a distinguished road

and mostly free loaders (another interesting fact)
Proud to be an IVian.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Compare
Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute Caliber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc14 View Post
Shhhhhhh.. Don't say that. Many people get angry.

Every one is ready to donate...but only when IV core takes paid leave, go to USCIS offices, collect our Green Cards, fly to our house, handover Green Cards and then, we will donate $25.00. No No No.. wait wait, we will donate $25.00, but IV should open their accounts. Then yes, I will donate $25.00.

Till that time, why should I donate $25.00? I will keep using office time, office laptop, office internet bandwidth. And if IV does not get me green card, I have every right to criticize them.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute

The outline looks very favorable from EB point of view. The section that I thought was the most pertinent to us and could be practical enough to attract broader support (I quote from NYT):

It minimizes access for future blue-collar foreign workers and favors visas for highly educated immigrants.

“It’s based on the theory that Americans are equally strong on support for legal immigration and opposition to illegal immigration,” Mr. Schumer said in an interview. “Previous bills did not get that balance right, and they failed.”

The plan’s emphasis is on making it easier for highly skilled and educated immigrants to come to the United States, including awarding residence documents known as green cards to those who receive advanced degrees in science and technology from American universities.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh stop the self-loathing please. It's not going to take you anywhere.

Doesn't help with image or unity. (nothing personal )

Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondur_007 View Post

My only suggestion:

Kondur_007 has good point. The original plan for immigration reform had a provision of temp work permit for five years and when they become eligible for GC they will come in line with us. It was not mentioned how many additional GC they will provide for new immgigrants. This will definitely chok up current system and legal immigrants may have to wait many more year then current wait requires.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Compare
nc14 is on a distinguished road

Self-loathing or not you are right it is not going to change anything. But it is a little embarassing to have company of so many free loaders. I wish IV kicks out all the free loaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinaym View Post
Oh stop the self-loathing please. It's not going to take you anywhere.

Doesn't help with image or unity. (nothing personal )
Well said Caliber. I wonder why they still troll around IV and suck the valuable resources when they cannot put their money where their mouth is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Shhhhhhh.. Don't say that. Many people get angry.

Every one is ready to donate...but only when IV core takes paid leave, go to USCIS offices, collect our Green Cards, fly to our house, handover Green Cards and then, we will donate $25.00. No No No.. wait wait, we will donate $25.00, but IV should open their accounts. Then yes, I will donate $25.00.

Till that time, why should I donate $25.00? I will keep using office time, office laptop, office internet bandwidth. And if IV does not get me green card, I have every right to criticize them.
Proud to be an IVian.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default We should not waste time

Quote:
Self-loathing or not you are right it is not going to change anything. But it is a little embarassing to have company of so many free loaders. I wish IV kicks out all the free loaders.

Well said Caliber. I wonder why they still troll around IV and suck the valuable resources when they cannot put their money where their mouth is.
Being a Donor you should not waste your time for non donor. Lets unite and work for our cause. These free loaders are our ad revenues. If you kick them out , we won't have enough income to run this site. There will be always bad people out there if you spend your time fighting with them you never get what you want. I would say lets focus on real agenda.

Just to clarify there are few types of users on this site.

(1) Donor but not volunteer
(2) Donor and volunteer
(3) volunteer
(4) Anti immigrants
(5) Immigration officials
(6) Lawyers
(7) users who are new to immigrations process
(8) Users who are in process of Immigration and want some information.

Bottom line is all non donors are not anti immigrants , and we need them to run site.