Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shalinip is infamous around these parts shalinip is infamous around these parts
Default Need help- EB1 EA 140/485 petitions denied - how to maintain legal status

Need help- EB1 EA 140/485 petitions denied - how to maintain legal status
I am a research faculty in a top 25 university and my H1-B expires in Dec 2010. My concurrent self petitions of the EB1-EA of 140 and 485 were denied by TSC. I am waiting for the denial letter. My spouse is a permanent resident . What are my legal options to stay in the country?
Here is my petition break down
1-140 filed-May 2009
!-485 filed June 2009
EAD/AP Oct/Nov 2009
RFE on 140 -Feb 9 2010
Responded to RFE - Mar 11 2010
Denial posted on Mar 15.
Would filing the I-130 affect the refiling of I-140?

Appreciate inputs provided
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default some options to consider

(I am not an attorney)
  • File in EB1-OR. That has slightly lower requirements than EB1-EA. Since you are in research and have a job, you may have better success with EB1-OR. I guess maybe because EB1-OR does not have premium processing, you applied in EB1-EA? (http://bit.ly/dophyK)
  • File regular PERM application. If your perm gets approved, then you can renew H1B in yearly increments. Once you get 140 approved, then you can renew at 3 year phases.
I recall USCIS had 140 in premium processing if your H1B was expiring soon (in few months). Check up on that.

NOTE: It seems for EB1-OR, the applicant has be in tenure or tenure-track position if working for an University.

Last edited by anilsal; 03-17-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsal View Post
(I am not an attorney)
  • File in EB1-OR. That has slightly lower requirements than EB1-EA. Since you are in research and have a job, you may have better success with EB1-OR (EB1_ExtraOrdinaryAbilities_Tips (immigrate2usaorg)). I guess maybe because EB1-OR does not have premium processing, you applied in EB1-EA?
  • File regular PERM application. If your perm gets approved, then you can renew H1B in yearly increments. Once you get 140 approved, then you can renew at 3 year phases.
I recall USCIS had 140 in premium processing if your H1B was expiring soon (in few months). Check up on that.
EB1-OR requires the petitioner to hold a tenured or tenure-track position. Research faculties are generally not on tenure-track. "Comparable" positions are eligible, but USCIS might not consider a research faculty position as comparable in an university/dept that does have tenure-track positions.

To answer the original question:

You just need to extend the H1-B status when it is about to expire. You can keep doing that for 6 years without any additional issue. If your stay in H1 status (count both H1-B and H4 days) is going to be 6 years, then you make your university submit an EB2 petition. Once the labor is 1 year old (i.e., the submission date is 1 year old) or you get your EB2 I-140 approved (should be a piece of cake for any university faculty; tenure-track or otherwise), based on the EB2 petition you can keep extending your H1-B status (AFAIK) indefinitely.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinip View Post
I am a research faculty in a top 25 university and my H1-B expires in Dec 2010. My concurrent self petitions of the EB1-EA of 140 and 485 were denied by TSC. I am waiting for the denial letter. My spouse is a permanent resident . What are my legal options to stay in the country?
1-140 filed-May 2009
!-485 filed June 2009
EAD/AP Oct/Nov 2009
RFE on 140 -Feb 9 2010
Denial posted on Mar 15.

See my reply above. To add to it, if your position is really a "faculty" position, then University will take care of your GC petition. However, if it is really a glorified title for a postdoc position, then they likely will not. In that case, you need to look for a new job.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default You are correct about EB1-OR

From http://www.murthy.com/eb1opr.html

if employment is from an academic institution, it needs to be a tenure or tenure-track position. If from a company, the employer should have in its employ at least three full-time researchers and have documented achievements by the company or its research personnel.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2009
Compare
kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1-140 filed-May 2009
!-485 filed June 2009
EAD/AP Oct/Nov 2009
RFE on 140 -Feb 9 2010
Denial posted on Mar 15.

Switch to O1 visa. This will give you 3 years at a time. This can even be done as Premium processing.

If you applied for EB1A, it is the same application that goes for O visa, chances of approval with your credentials are > 95%; do this with a good attorney. In worst case scenario, even if it is rejected, you will loose nothing. (does not affect your current H1).

Then work again on EB1A application and reapply; you probably will get it approved second time around. This time, do not apply concurrent though; I have heard of more RFEs and denials with concurrent applications or premium EB1 applications; just a thought (dont have any proof for this)

Good Luck.
I 140 approved: Sep 2008 Nebraska Service Center
EB1A: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
EB2 NIW: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
I-485 filed Dec 2009
I-485 approved April 2010

Last edited by kondur_007; 03-17-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shalinip is infamous around these parts shalinip is infamous around these parts
Default Update on the 140 denial

I received my 140 and 485 denial letters on Mar 19th. The reason cited for the 140 denial letter was "effect of failure to respond to a RFE". I received the RFE on my 140 dated Feb 8th on Feb 15th and my law firm sent out the response to the RFE that reached TSC on Mar 11th as per the Fedex receipt.

What are my options going forth:

(1) File a MTR? should I file this myself or work with my law firm on this? What is the effort involved in filing the MTR as I understand from the denial letter that I have until Apr 14th to file the MTR?

(2)Is there any other means to communicate with TSC that my RFE response was received at TSC within the 33 day time limit and hence there is no basis for this denial?

(3) Re-file a new 140 petition?

Any inputs and other suggestions are appreciated

Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2009
Compare
kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I received my 140 and 485 denial letters on Mar 19th. The reason cited for the 140 denial letter was "effect of failure to respond to a RFE". I received the RFE on my 140 dated Feb 8th on Feb 15th and my law firm sent out the response to the RFE that reached TSC on Mar 11th as per the Fedex receipt.

What are my options going forth:

(1) File a MTR? should I file this myself or work with my law firm on this? What is the effort involved in filing the MTR as I understand from the denial letter that I have until Apr 14th to file the MTR?

(2)Is there any other means to communicate with TSC that my RFE response was received at TSC within the 33 day time limit and hence there is no basis for this denial?

Any inputs and other suggestions are appreciated
Good, that makes things simple. File appeal or MTR (according to your attorney's advise) and it will almost certainly get approved. No need for new I 140. MTR/appeal is the only way of reopening this.

Do it in timely fashion.

good luck.
I 140 approved: Sep 2008 Nebraska Service Center
EB1A: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
EB2 NIW: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
I-485 filed Dec 2009
I-485 approved April 2010

Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Default File MTR

Additionally, can your attorneys makes copies of RFE response sent and attach it to the MTR maybe? I do not if that is possible or allowed or will make any difference.

I just learned that from you that there is a 33 day deadline on answering RFEs. What if the mail got lost in transit? How will the applicant/attorneys really know (unless of course you have done the online case status registration).

Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Definitely file an MTR/appeal if you are 100% certain that the RFE response was received by TSC before the deadline. CIS should reopen the case if it was their mistake. Immigration regulations specifically allow for this procedure. There is no other way to ask TSC to reconsider - they will require an MTR.

If it was their mistake, in theory you should not need to pay the filing fees for an MTR. However, the attorney needs to make it very clear on the filing that the case should not be rejected for lack of filing fees. The contract workers who open the mail might reject the case if they don't see a check. It might be safer to include a check if you are close to the filing deadline.
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote