Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all
Default CIR - What the gutierrez bill will hold for us !

Not sure if this has already been discussed !!

Here's an excerpt of what CIR - gutierrez's bill that is going to be introduced holds for us.

U.S. Legislative Immigration Update December 14, 2009 | Border & Sovereignty

Per his proposal,

FAIR has also learned that the Gutierrez amnesty bill will include at least a portion of the "Reuniting Families Act" (H.R. 2709), legislation sponsored by Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA). This legislation would dramatically increase legal immigration by providing for the "[r]ecapture" of what its proponents claim are "[u]nused" green cards from 1992 to date to bring in more family-based immigrants-all of whom will need jobs. The U.S. State Department has estimated that over 326,000 employment visas and more than 231,000 family visas would be made available under this provision. (U.S. State Department, Unused Family and Employment Preferences Numbers Available for Recapture, Fiscal Years 1992-2007).

Also

Increasing the annual per country limits on family and employment-based visas from seven percent to ten percent. (§103). Under current law, each foreign country has a seven percent share of the total cap of visas that Congress allocates each year.

Hope if they fight over and agree to these without trimming/cutting into these then it might erase the entire current backlog. Correct me if I am wrong.

Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold
Default Why don't the get rid of the country quota

I don't see the value in a country quota. It discriminates against larger countries and provides no value for the US.

- JK

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Generally few days after bill being introduce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCperm View Post
Do we know when text of the bill Will be available?

I think they get text from lawmaker's office on day they introduce but needs couple of days for them to print that bill and publish online.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/28/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute maximus777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
I don't see the value in a country quota. It discriminates against larger countries and provides no value for the US.

- JK
Agreed, but a recapture and increased quota coupled with weak economy (since mid 2008?) should give some badly needed temporary relief.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish2005 View Post
Not sure if this has already been discussed !!

Here's an excerpt of what CIR - gutierrez's bill that is going to be introduced holds for us.

U.S. Legislative Immigration Update December 14, 2009 | Border & Sovereignty

Per his proposal,

FAIR has also learned that the Gutierrez amnesty bill will include at least a portion of the "Reuniting Families Act" (H.R. 2709), legislation sponsored by Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA). This legislation would dramatically increase legal immigration by providing for the "[r]ecapture" of what its proponents claim are "[u]nused" green cards from 1992 to date to bring in more family-based immigrants-all of whom will need jobs. The U.S. State Department has estimated that over 326,000 employment visas and more than 231,000 family visas would be made available under this provision. (U.S. State Department, Unused Family and Employment Preferences Numbers Available for Recapture, Fiscal Years 1992-2007).

Also

Increasing the annual per country limits on family and employment-based visas from seven percent to ten percent. (§103). Under current law, each foreign country has a seven percent share of the total cap of visas that Congress allocates each year.

Hope if they fight over and agree to these without trimming/cutting into these then it might erase the entire current backlog. Correct me if I am wrong.

People are so quiet about this bill. I guess something huge under the wraps or nothing for EB queue.

'No disappointments when there are no expectations'

Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute immigrant2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing for us...take the unused numbers put them to use but for family and amnesty.
BTW where will numbers for amnsety come from?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default i dont know why

why is everyone so eager for CIR...
it was discussed to death some time back..there wont be any major help for EB category.. it is mosly aimed at illegal and mexicans...

even if a recapture clause is meant for family based...EB will get the short end of the stick..

I am skeptical abt CIR...EB's may not get a lot out of it...

we must try to bargain for temporary reliefs...or EAD's without restriction....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default I agree

If CIR comes it will doom the EB people. I don't know why people are so anxiously waiting for CIR to come. It is only for illegal immigrants and will be so. I would rather wait in line with no CIR for a long time than for CIR to pass and the line become so long that all the EB people would have to pack their bags.

CIR means Illegals first

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/13/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future grimreaper has a brilliant future
Angry Political Gimmick

I feel that this CIR being introduced is a gimmick. The People presenting the bill are doing it just to appease the hispanic caucus. Hopefully I am proved wrong and there is also something for EB in the bill. But realistically in the present conditions, the bill is going to go no where and Rep G knows that very well.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all krish2005 is a name known to all
Default Start!

Bill might not be going anywhere but its a kickstart to the immig process. I am sure that once CIR debate starts all hell will break loose.

But only wish is that they do consider clearing our backlog too. But its progress will also depend on how healthcare progresses too.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute kaarmaa has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link to the bill summary:

ImmigrationProf Blog: Luis Gutierrez Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill Summary

Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Provisions for us!!!!!!!

Backlog Reduction and Numerical Limit Reforms:

Reduction of existing backlogs: Permits the “recapture” of unused employment-based visas and family-sponsored visas from fiscal years 1992-2008 and allows future unused visa numbers to roll over to next fiscal year. Immediate relatives are exempted from the annual cap on the number of immigrant visas. This section increases the percentage limit of visas which may be issued yearly to a single country.

Immigrants with Advanced Skills Exempt from Visa Cap: Exempts several categories of highly skilled workers from the employment-based immigrant visa cap.

Retaining Workers Subject to the Green Card Backlog: Current nonimmigrant skilled workers whose employer has petitioned for an employment-based green card on their behalf and their dependents will be permitted to file an application for adjustment of status, regardless of whether a visa is immediately available. An applicant under this section must pay a supplemental $500 fee, to be used by DHS for backlog reduction and clearing security background check delays. The Secretary shall provide employment and travel authorization in 3-year increments while the application is pending.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Source

Summary of Representative Gutierrez’s CIR ASAP Act « Reform Immigration For America

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Backlog Reduction and Numerical Limit Reforms:
Reduction of existing backlogs: Permits the “recapture” of unused employment-based visas and family-sponsored visas from fiscal years 1992-2008 and allows future unused visa numbers to roll over to next fiscal year. Immediate relatives are exempted from the annual cap on the number of immigrant visas. This section increases the percentage limit of visas which may be issued yearly to a single country.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Lets see !

As I indicated in my starting post, there are provisions to help clear the backlog and expand the cap per country.

But CIR will be a even more tougher fight than healthcare.