Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ragz4u is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Senator Cornyn introduces SKIL bill in Senate

We have received reports that Sen. Cornyn will be introducing a bill called the SKIL (Securing Knowledge Innovation and Leadership) bill on May 1st 2006. As can be guessed from the title, this bill has lots of pro-legal immigration clauses. We will make the details that we have received public once we get the permission to do so.

Though Immigration Voice is currently focussing on the Comprehensive Immigration Bill as that is hot right now, we are also closely following the PACE and SKIL bills to try and ensure that high-skilled legal immigrants can make the best of it.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Compare
raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about
Default Bill Number???

rags,
Do you have the Bill Number by any chance so that we can look it up on the Thomas Library and see the contents?

Thanks. Good luck to us all.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Thats Good news

Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default This has currently 5 co-sponsors

And has a lot of backing from the hi-tech industry.

Also, this bill (as per my understanding) does not have to do anything with the illegal aliens and so should not rankle anyone. Also since Cornyn is the author, other conservatives (hopefully) will not have many issues with it and not many will argue about a bill that has to do with American Competitiveness.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Serbia
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
felix31 will become famous soon enough felix31 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz4u
And has a lot of backing from the hi-tech industry.

Also, this bill (as per my understanding) does not have to do anything with the illegal aliens and so should not rankle anyone. Also since Cornyn is the author, other conservatives (hopefully) will not have many issues with it and not many will argue about a bill that has to do with American Competitiveness.
good news...

when will the debate start in the senate?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mrajatish will become famous soon enough mrajatish will become famous soon enough

Yes, Any idea on when this bill come on the floor?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bijualex29 is on a distinguished road

I called there office but no clue what SKIL bill is about (Washington DC).
Can any one explain the source of this bill.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Please chill folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijualex29
I called there office but no clue what SKIL bill is about (Washington DC).
Can any one explain the source of this bill.
First and foremost, DO NOT CONTACT Sen. Cornyn's office.

We are privy to some information and we were told that Sen. Cornyn might introduce this to the senate today. When we say might, it means that there is a good chance he may not do so too!

And introducing just means that he will get a number assigned to it. It will NOT be debated today. The debate timeframe is decided by the majority and minority leaders Frist and Reid respectively.

We just wanted to share with you what we learned. When we learn more, we will let you guys know. For right now, all we know is in the first post.

And FYI, there are some decent provisions in this bill especially related to STEM. Also presents a solution to retrogression wherein Adjustment of Status would be possible in spite of no visa being available.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
kinvin is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
Dont reply to PM

Old 05-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
modvik is on a distinguished road
Default SKIL & Brownback Amendment(s)

If any of these do succeed to make it through the congress, does it mean that the retrogression problem be totally eliminated (at least for the short term)?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
msp1976 will become famous soon enough

Did anything happen on this front...??
Did he introduce or not??..

All said and done..nothing might pass in the name of comprehensive reform this year...What are the other options for pushing ??

Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road
Default Bill Introduced

The Brownback and Bingaman amendments need to be incorporated into this bill.

===

Compete America Praises Introduction of Cornyn Legislation to Reform H-1B and Green Card Systems

'SKIL Bill' Would Relieve Crisis Facing U.S. Employers of Highly Educated Foreign Nationals

Washington D.C. - Compete America today praised the introduction of the "SKIL Bill" by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) to reform both the H-1B visa and employment based (EB visa) green card processes. The legislation is cosponsored by Senators Allard (R-CO), Allen (R-VA), Bennett (R-UT), Enzi (R-WY), and Lott (R-MS).

The SKIL Bill is the latest indicator that both the United States Senate and the Bush Administration are prepared to fix the visa system for highly educated foreign nationals. In addition to the SKIL Bill, Compete America has endorsed measures contained the Senate's comprehensive immigration legislation addressing H-1B and EB visa issues; and has also endorsed President Bush's call to ensure access to talent as part of the Administration's American Competitiveness Initiative.

"Senator Cornyn clearly understands the contribution highly-educated foreign nationals make to the U.S. economy and to Texas," said Texas Instruments CEO and President Richard K. Templeton. "The Senator's bill reaffirms America's proud tradition of welcoming top talent to this country. The reality is that most scientists and engineers with advanced degrees from U.S. universities are foreign born. The competition for talent is truly global. If the U.S. wants to win, we absolutely must encourage these advanced degree holders to stay here and get their green cards - not send them home to compete against us. The 'SKIL' bill really advances that goal."

Both the H-1B and EB visa/green card programs have been responsible for bringing much needed foreign talent to live and work in the United States, and most importantly, to make significant contributions to the U.S. economy and global competitiveness. However, H-1B shortages have been well documented, and backlogs in the green card system are getting worse, forcing thousands of valued foreign-born professionals - including researchers, scientists, teachers and engineers - into legal and professional limbo for seven years or more.

Among the provisions of the SKIL Bill (Securing Knowledge Innovation and Leadership) endorsed by Compete America are the following:

Exemptions for U.S. educated foreign workers with advanced degrees in math, science, technology and engineering fields from the H-1B and EB quotas so their talent can be retained in the United States.

Creation of a flexible, market-based H-1B cap so that U.S. employers are not locked out of hiring critical talent.

Extension of foreign students' post curricular optional practical training from 12 months to 24 months to allow them to go more easily from student to green card.

Exemptions for EB/green card immigrant spouses and children from the annual cap, thus making more visas available for the professionals we need.
The SKIL Bill contains many of the provisions for reform of the H-1B visa and EB/green card systems that are present in the two versions of comprehensive immigration reform introduced by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter (R-PA).

"The Senate is ready to address the problem facing U.S. employers of highly educated foreign nationals," said Sandra Boyd, National Association of Manufacturers Human Resources Policy Vice President and Compete America Chair. "It is incomprehensible that Congress would address broad immigration reform without fixing the system that brings legal, highly educated workers to the U.S. We are grateful to Senator Cornyn and the other cosponsors of the SKIL bill as well as those who have supported the inclusion of similar provisions in comprehensive immigration reform."

Old 05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Thumbs up Since the cat is out of the bag, here are the details

The “SKIL” Bill
Short Title: Securing Knowledge Innovation and Leadership (SKIL)

Title I – Access to High Skilled Foreign Workers
Section 101. H-1B Visa Holders
  • Exempts professionals who have earned advanced degrees (e.g. Master’s degree or higher) from accredited United States universities and those who have been awarded a medical specialty certification based on post-doctoral training and experience in the United States from the annual H-1B cap.
Section 102. Market-Based Visa Limits
  • Raises the H-1B (specialty occupation) cap from 65,000 to 115,000 and creates a flexible system that adjusts with the market.
Title II – Retaining Foreign Workers Educated in the United States
Section 201. United States Educated Immigrants.
  • Exempts U.S.-educated professionals with advanced degrees and those who have been awarded a medical specialty certification based on post-doctoral training and experience in the United States from the annual green card (i.e. immigrant visa) cap.
  • Exempts professionals who have earned advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering or math, and who worked in the U.S. for at least three years in a related field, from the immigrant visa cap.
  • Exempts spouse and minor children of professionals from the employment-based cap. Under current law, only about fifty percent of employment-based visas go to actual workers.
Section 202. Immigrant Visa Backlog Reduction.
  • Raises the immigrant visa (i.e. green card) cap from 140,000 to 290,000 and allows unused visas to fall forward annually.
  • Exempts aliens of extraordinary ability, and outstanding researchers and professors from the annual green card limit.
Section 203. Student Visa Reform.
  • Many employers seek to hire U.S. educated students full-time upon graduation, and this change would enable the employer to start the green card process while the foreign worker is on a student visa (F-1) during Optional Practical Training (OPT). Codifies OPT; which will allow U.S. educated foreign students to work in their field for up to two years after graduation.
Section 204. L-1 Visa Holders Subject to Visa Backlog.
  • Allows an extension of an L-1 (intracompany transfer) visa beyond the fifth or seventh year if the individual has a green card application pending and is simply caught in the green card backlog. This extension is currently allowed for H-1B (specialty occupation) visa holders, but not for L-1 visa holders.
Section 205. Retaining Workers Subject to Green Card Backlog.
  • Allows foreign workers who have started the green card process, but who are subject to green card backlogs, to pay a $500.00 supplemental fee to file an application to adjust status. This change would enable foreign workers to remain in the U.S. until the green card becomes available.
Title III – Business Facilitation Through Immigration Reform
Section 301. Streamlining the Adjudication Process for Established Employers.
  • Requires the creation of a pre-certification program that streamlines the adjudication process, and reduces paperwork burdens, for employers who file multiple applications and who have no history of fraud or abuse. Pre-certification would allow those employers to file a petition on a separate review track and not submit repetitive organizational documentation.
Section 302. Providing Premium Processing of Employment-Based Visa Petitions.
  • Requires USCIS to allow employers to file a “premium processing” fee for expedited adjudication of employment-based immigrant petitions, as well as for administrative appeals of any decision on an employment-based immigrant petition.
Section 303. Eliminating Procedural Delays in Labor Certification Process.
  • Requires the Department of Labor to process all applications filed prior to the electronic PERM system within six months of enactment. Clarifies the Department of Labor’s process in providing prevailing wage determinations and requires the Department of Labor to establish a website to post open job orders.
Title IV. Miscellaneous
Section 401. Completion of Background and Security Checks.
  • Requires that no immigration application may be approved until the appropriate background and security checks are completed and any allegations of fraud have been resolved.
Section 402. Visa Revalidation.
  • Allows temporary workers who have not violated their status to renew their visa from within the United States.
Section 403. Severability.
  • Clarifies that if any part of this act is determined to be invalid it will have no effect on the remainder of the provisions.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mrajatish will become famous soon enough mrajatish will become famous soon enough

Stupid question, but I am sure it is in the minds of many others -
1. When, if at all, will this be heard in the Senate given the current immigration imbroglio?
2. Will the house have a similar bill?

Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability