Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2000
Compare
Sampath7768 will become famous soon enough Sampath7768 will become famous soon enough
Default bill to temporarily increase the H1B ?

S.1092 : A bill to temporarily increase the number of visas which may be issued to certain highly skilled workers.

This is introduced y'day.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...D010+20070412))

IV Sr team ~ Any inputs from your end.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute

The link points to a page that says 'No formal action was taken on any legislation yesterday.' Any details you can post?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2000
Compare
Sampath7768 will become famous soon enough Sampath7768 will become famous soon enough

i am trying to paste the full link but not able to go.

go to http://www.thomas.gov/ and click "yesterday in Congress" link on right and scroll down the page to item # 16

Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sampath is on a distinguished road
Default H1B bill

this is the link

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...110query.html|

may be they will try to fold part of EB issues in the bill ? ( or combine with SKIL and pass separately ? )

Last edited by sampath; 04-13-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
subba will become famous soon enough subba will become famous soon enough
Default This could be a bad sign

If this gets through standalone without any EB green card provisions, we might be left in the lurch.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare
spatial will become famous soon enough

It sounds like a temporary relief bill for EB or H1B or both. Can anybody get some details of this bill?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute
Default do we know the text of this bill?

I tried to find the text of this bill, but couldn't.
Hene it's too early to say what this bill is all about. i do agree that just by looking at the heading, it seems to address only the H1B number issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by subba
If this gets through standalone without any EB green card provisions, we might be left in the lurch.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of

somethign is better than nothing.
Those who has applied for h1 will get relief

Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reality check

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I think this is what is going to happen for immigration.

1. CIR would NOT get passed. Republicans alone do not have the majority. Democrats do not want it passed, simply because they do not want to give credit for Bush.

2. SKILL/Strive - There is a 50/50 chance. The only thing that might change this ratio is the push from individuals like us. If 1000s of people call/write to Senators one way or other, then the ratio would tilt to that side.

3. Congress/INS will change the H1B handling. There would be more stringent verifications on H1B. If Congress does not pass a law, INS itself can interpret the existing laws in such a way that H1B issuances are more stringent. They have already done that for H4 (although making H4 less stringent). For H4, the law did not change, but INS' interpretation of the existing law changed. The point that I am making is that INS can and will interpret existing laws depending on market realities. And currently the reality is that H1B is being misused as a window to outsource jobs away from the US by even big boys like Wipro, IBM and Infosys. I think INS, Ron Hira etc. do not loathe the Desi consulting companies, but the big firms, who bring people in using H1B/L1 and then move that whole IT department to Bangalore. As a public policy the American government and the American public in general love small businesses (including the Desi companies). Small business is like family; they can get away with a few mischievous actions such as cooking up a fake resumes or hiring H1B people even with out job openings. Small businesses also can hire illegal immigrants or people with fake green cards. How do you think construction companies and Subway franchisees run their businesses? Small businesses are the life blood of the US economy. Everybody is aware of that. What’s more, pretty much every American look forward to owning a small business and are successfully doing it regularly.

4. Congress will add another 50,000 visas for Schedule A workers (Nurses).

The major reason, why I am saying these things are that Congress always looks at the needs of the Industry and the people (in that order). No one in the industry wants to increase EB numbers – they will loose all the slaves (H1B folks in GC processing). No US citizen wants to increase EB numbers, since more GC holders means more programmers competing for their while collar jobs. H1B folks are actually taking jobs that Americans are interested in doing. (Agreed there are no Americans available at that specific instance, for that specific job opening etc. But Americans do not loathe programming jobs, the way they loathe low paying agricultural jobs or uncool jobs such as “patient care”.). Bottom line – no body wants an increase in EB numbers.

They WILL add visa numbers for bringing in Nurses from India (read Kerala) and the Philippines. When my cousin who is a Registered Nurse landed in the US, the hospital’s manager was waiting for her with a Limo and a sign up bonus of $5000; not to mention the 3 months fully paid training. That’s the kind of shortage for nurses in the US. And no Americans want to do those nursing job of caring for irate patients 24x7.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

I beg to differ.

Though we may tend to think that large corporations don't want their employers to get a green card, it may not necessarily be always true.

If you visit the comptete america website (http://www.competeamerica.org/greencard.pdf), you'll see that one of their main concerns is delayed GC processing. They know that they have a loyal employee base, so they want to retian them by making it easy for employees to stay with them, and not having to keep applying for extensions often.

Also, take a look at the people behind Compete America - http://www.competeamerica.org/whowea...ion/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave
The major reason, why I am saying these things are that Congress always looks at the needs of the Industry and the people (in that order). No one in the industry wants to increase EB numbers – they will loose all the slaves (H1B folks in GC processing).

Last edited by sledge_hammer; 04-12-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

I never said H-1B is not the primary concern of Compete America.

At the same time, GC is also one of their concerns. They do want to retain their employees. These H-1B employees working at Sun, IBM, MS, etc. are the cream of the crop, not some random Joe they picked up from the streets. It is true that no one in the corporate world is indispensable, but when you have the best and the brightest working for you, you don't want to lose them to someone with lower skills just because this new guy has full 6 years left on his H-1B.

So I am not being misled by anyone, my opinion is based careful objective analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakp
No you are wrong. Competeamerica is about H1B only as their primary focus. Greencards are secondary to them. We saw it in December last year. H1B is something that is helpful to companies and competeamerica is supported by companies. Greencard is somethiing that is helpful to employees, so immigrationvoice is supported by employees. There is one very big dfference in the principle approach.
Do not get mislead.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Corporate America - What they preach and what they do

Sledge_hammer, with all due respect I have to disagree with you. I totally agree with you that "one of the main concern of corporate america is delayed GC processing." That's what they say. Is that what they really want?

The situation a bit like the high mileage (fuel efficient) cars in America. Every one wants a car getting 40mpg or more. But no one is buying one, even though they can. The industry says, people are not buying them so we are not making them. People say, the industry in not making them, so we can't purchase one.
http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakp
You are mostly correct in your judgement. But what we forget is that even these large companies want fresh crop of employees after their existing H1Bs burn out after 6 years. This is a harsh reality. Very few of these H1Bs get any promotion in the 6 years, and such large corporations are hesitant to give promotions after a certain level. So we must understand the main interests of competeamerica and its financers.
janakp, one of the main reasons why already existing employees don't get promoted in large corporation is because of GC delays. These employees are an asset to large corps, and were hired in order to add value to the companies. Later they realize that due to I-140 and such, employees can't accept promotions. So GC is the reason for not getting promotions.

Quote:
Sledge_hammer, with all due respect I have to disagree with you. I totally agree with you that "one of the main concern of corporate america is delayed GC processing." That's what they say. Is that what they really want?

The situation a bit like the high mileage (fuel efficient) cars in America. Every one wants a car getting 40mpg or more. But no one is buying one, even though they can. The industry says, people are not buying them so we are not making them. People say, the industry in not making them, so we can't purchase one.
h1techSlave, I was referring to "Compete America" in particular, and not "Corporate America". If GC was not their concern why have they put up a big green sign on their website - http://www.competeamerica.org

Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare

GC is a two-bladed sword for employers. Some of them are afraid of losing bright H-1Bs if they got green cards, while they also hate unability to get other bright H-1Bs on board because they are stuck in the process.

DOL estimated that America needs at least 2 million people in IT Industry by 2012. No one wants to see the recession or a lot of outsourcing because domestic human resource market cannot provide so many people. I think America is still welcoming high-skilled professional to be permanent resident.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare

Could someone confirm the following information?

from fragomen

High-Tech Worker Relief Act

On April 11, 2007, Senator Chuck Hagel, Republican from Nebraska, introduced
the High-Tech Worker Relief Act, which is aimed at providing short term
relief for U.S. employers who cannot recruit or retain needed talent to stay
competitive because of the current visa shortage. If enacted, Senator Hagel
's bill would:

§ Raise the H-1B cap for fiscal year 2007 from 65,000 to 115,000, and for
fiscal year 2008 from 65,000 to 195,000, allowing the quota to revert to 65,
000 by fiscal year 2009 if no further legislation passes.

§ Exempt foreign students who earn masters degrees or above in the United
States from the H-1B visa numerical limit.

§ Exempt STEM advanced degree graduates who have 3 years of U.S. work
experience as a non-immigrant from the numerical limit on employment-based
immigrant visas, in addition to those who are deemed to have extraordinary
ability, are outstanding professors and researchers, and whose presence is
determined to be in the national interest of the United States.

§ Exempt spouses and minor children of the principal applicant from
employment-based immigrant visa quotas.

§ Exempt foreign physicians from the immigrant visa quota if they agree to
work full time for five years in an area with a shortage of health care
professionals, or if they work for five years in a Department of Veterans
Affairs health care facility.