Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare
javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Renewal in India

I am going to India for couple months and plans to return back on AP.I am planning to get my passport Renewal in India.Is it OK to Renew in India as it shows my India address.

Thanks In advance

Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
theMan is a jewel in the rough theMan is a jewel in the rough theMan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadeveloper View Post
I am going to India for couple months and plans to return back on AP.I am planning to get my passport Renewal in India.Is it OK to Renew in India as it shows my India address.

Thanks In advance
I am not sure if they do police verification, even for renewals. If that is the case, there is potential for delay.
I think, renewing in the US is a fairly simple process and in most cases be accomplished in 3 weeks. There is a separate question that asks for your Indian address, so that should not pose a problem.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Thanks In advance
don't make this mistake. renew it here in US even it means you postponing your travel dates....it is smooth, simple and effortless here as opposed to in india.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts Nikith77 is infamous around these parts

If you do it in India. You will be back in Q just like GC here.

Its better get it here.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare
javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute javadeveloper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for responding.I thought it's easy in India as we can directly go to passport office & get it in a day.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
gsrknth is a jewel in the rough gsrknth is a jewel in the rough gsrknth is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest you to renew it here in US. If you don't have time to mail in and receive , then you can visit the consulate and get in back the same day. I am sure it would lot of time in India :-)

Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light akilaakka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Java Developer

I recently added pages to my passport in India while I was in Vaccation. It was painless process as I went through travel agent and have to pay extra money. No police verification is required if your renewing. Adding pages/renewal is all the same process.

If you apply in Tatkal, you will get your passport in a week. If you do in India, I advice you go through some travel agent.

Did not renew here as my job requires frequent travel at short notice.

If you are not travelling internationally then it is best to do it USA.

Thanks
Senthil

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
cdeneo can only hope to improve

I would suggest not to risk renewing your passport in India just because you don't know if you would get stuck for some odd reason or another or not. As many have already posted on this thread - do it in the US if you have the time. I did my passport renewal from the SFO office a couple years ago and it was a simple straightforward process by mail (2-3 weeks).

Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare

as per http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite...PASSPORT.asp#1

The following documents and fee are required to be submitted with the application:

After having filled the application online, print a copy.

Affix photograph as per specification in the box (do not staple photograph)

Old Passport (in original)

Additional booklet, if any, (in original)

Three recent passport size photographs (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm -front facial pose). Photograph should have only a white background. (Photograph with coloured or dark glasses or in uniform or in Polaroid prints or Computer prints will not be accepted). One photograph to be pasted on the space provided on the first page of the application form

Two proofs of residential address of the applicant, which may include current Driving License, Utility Bill, rent lease agreement showing the residential address.
Photocopy of the first five and last two pages of the original / old passport;

Pages of passport showing US visa or Green Card (in original) Employment Authorization Card (in original) or other visa documents must be shown at the counter. A photocopy of the entire document / Card should be appended with the application (in case the application is sent by mail, a notarized copy of these documents should be sent);

In case application for Green Card or EAC or visa is pending/being processed, a copy of documents in support of this fact must be submitted;

In case the current passport does not contain the name of the spouse and the applicant wishes to have it entered in the new passport, copy of notarized marriage certificate must be submitted along with the application.

I am confused with few things in the above list of reqd documents:

1.It says white background , But I am only able get Cream colored background photos in CVS or Walgreen's
2.When I went notary in Bank Of America , the lady at bank says that she can't do notary for any copy of the document , she says she can do notary for a Application form that is signed in front of her.Same with marriage certificate.

I am confused and I need to travel by the end of this month.I need to drive 10 hrs 1-way to go to the consulate personally.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
theMan is a jewel in the rough theMan is a jewel in the rough theMan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

The following documents and fee are required to be submitted with the application:

Three recent passport size photographs (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm -front facial pose). Photograph should have only a white background. (Photograph with coloured or dark glasses or in uniform or in Polaroid prints or Computer prints will not be accepted). One photograph to be pasted on the space provided on the first page of the application form

Two proofs of residential address of the applicant, which may include current Driving License, Utility Bill, rent lease agreement showing the residential address.

Pages of passport showing US visa or Green Card (in original) Employment Authorization Card (in original) or other visa documents must be shown at the counter. A photocopy of the entire document / Card should be appended with the application (in case the application is sent by mail, a notarized copy of these documents should be sent);

In case application for Green Card or EAC or visa is pending/being processed, a copy of documents in support of this fact must be submitted;

In case the current passport does not contain the name of the spouse and the applicant wishes to have it entered in the new passport, copy of notarized marriage certificate must be submitted along with the application.

1.It says white background , But I am only able get Cream colored background photos in CVS or Walgreen's
2.When I went notary in Bank Of America , the lady at bank says that she can't do notary for any copy of the document , she says she can do notary for a Application form that is signed in front of her.Same with marriage certificate.

I am confused and I need to travel by the end of this month.I need to drive 10 hrs 1-way to go to the consulate personally.
Don't hold me against it, but don't get paranoid on these aspects. Most of the rules are common sense and there is some room for ambiguity :-)
Light cream is good enough.

Just take a copy and certify it yourself ( by writing true copy and affixing your signature). I am guessing there are people who review these documents and unless they see something fishy, there should be no problem.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do the mistake of renewing it in India. I did that mistake and had to go through one hell of corrupt bureaucracy.

Quote:

Thanks In advance

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Donnnnn"tttt

DO NOT even think of making this mistake in the wildest of your dreams.
Get it renewed here, eve if it means paying the extra $100.00 for "Tatkal" service.
It is quick, simple and hassle free.
You better be very well connected with somebody in the Passport Office and the local police in you hometown, if yo want to get this done in India.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Enough time

Quote:

You don't have to go. Use Fedex or UPS overnite, both ways. Pay the extra $100.0 for the "Tatkal" Service"
Make copies of the documents that you need to get notarized, On each copy, write the following:
"I (your name), do here by solemnly declare and affirm that this document is a true copy of the original doument"
Signed
(Your Name)
Date
Now, be careful. The notaries in some states need a specific language, like the one given below:
SAMPLE ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania )
)SS:
County of )

On this, the________day of __________, 20____, before me a notary public, the undersigned officer, personally appeared________________, known to me (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged that he executed the same for the purposes therein contained.

In witness hereof, I hereunto set my hand and official seal.

___________________________ Notary Public

In that case, get this language from the notary and do some copy/paste stuff using a printer, scanner or copier and add this statement to the bottom of your document, BELOW your signature.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
man-woman-and-gc will become famous soon enough
Default PP renewal

Quote:

Thanks In advance
I think its easier to get the PP renewal done in US as it can be done via mail.
But i think its equally easy to get it done in India. I got my passport renewed within a week in India just last month. There is a 'Tatkal Service' for passport and you can apply under that and get your passport renewed very quickly.

One thing though, if you change your address on Passport, then it may go for police verification, but if nothing chnages on ur passport, you can get it back quickly in using Tatkal...hopefully within 1 week like i did.
Best Regards

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare

I don't know if it is really easy to renew in US.Because i just filled the form with this link https://passport.gov.in/nri/OnlineRe...sp?pocode=USAW and saved the application.I thought It'll save my details , but It looks like it sent the application to embassy.When I wanted to reprint the form it's asking the Web File No which I never received.May be I need to call them for this #.I tried to fill the form and save again.It's coming up with blank page without any Web File No.

Last edited by javadeveloper; 03-10-2009 at 12:07 PM.