Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future
Default Indian Illegals....Interesting!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5124255.html
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja View Post
Yes indeed - given the fact so many come on h1b and f1 from India and not willing to go back even if they don't have jobs for prolonged period of time - these numbers can be growing.

We can definitely not stand for them - IV is for legal highly skilled immigrants maintaining status in a legal way.

NYC is an example of a lot of these people - most of these poeple live here under our cover and do not travel or get in touch with Govt authorities, they never go for stamping - never renew their llisences but lead their lives with odd jobs.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold
Default Looks like a reaction to the rally

They drag in H-1B holders, but can only quote an example of someone who came in on a tourist visa.

This looks like a reaction to the rally. Either by someone opposed to H1B or by family based immigration advocates trying to hitch their wagon to the Sept. 18th raly.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akred View Post
They drag in H-1B holders, but can only quote an example of someone who came in on a tourist visa.

This looks like a reaction to the rally. Either by someone opposed to H1B or by family based immigration advocates trying to hitch their wagon to the Sept. 18th raly.

Well I think the stats come from the department - simple - someone entered USA on a h1b in 2000, and his H1b expires in 2003, until, now this person would have never gone back for renewal or transfer - or the i 94 has never been returned - a database search of such a criteria will rreveal results

Old 09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future
Default Its a poorly written article

Poorly written article. I am glad IV had no comments on it. At the end of the story I was trying to understand if the headlines did more damage or the article.

As always, comments pour in regardless of the quality of the article because it is related to immigration.

JOIN THE TEXAS STATE CHAPTER
---------------------------------
VERIFIED MEMBERS LIST - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasiv

Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

After reading this again - THIS LOOKS LIKE A FALSIFIED PROPAGANDA CAMPAIGN AGAINST SKILLED WORKERS FROM INDIA

People on expired visas do exist - but the numbers will be low, and this applies not only to Indians but to every nationality.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold prince_waiting is a splendid one to behold
Default Our status is now that of Adjustees if filed for AOS

Most of us have been able to file for AOS under the August revise visa bulletin. So that makes us 'Adjustees' and not temporary workers any longers. I think this point should be highlighted at the rally or after the rally while giving interviews.

I am sure lot of anti immigrant groups will use the term 'H1 B workers' to misguide the general American population as does this article.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
calidesi77 is on a distinguished road
Default badly written article

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja View Post
Thats a very misleading and badly written article. Either the person who wrote it is pretty smart and intended it that way or is just an ignorant person and should be emailed/writeen to letting him know how dumb he is

Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by internet View Post
This article was written with malacious intent. It is trying to single out Indians and that too high tech workers. It is a propaganda by the anti-immigrants. The reporter is also an anti immigrant. The immigration lawyer quoted also looks anti immigrant. Any of his clients here on this forum? No wonder some of our cases are delayed by immigration lawyers.

The reporter has not managed to get a single story from an H!B visa overstay. This is because there is none. The only story they have got is from a tourist visa overstay.

H1Bs get tons of money $60 - $100 + per hour. Why would they become illegal and work for $6 per hour? USA is not preferred for people like us who can go anywhere in this world and still make tons of money. So there is no incentive for us to stay here illegally. If you give us greencards, we will stay, else we will leave. And if we leave you will also lose your jobs because those jobs will also go with us and be outsourced.

We must protest against such propaganda articles by journalists and their supporters.
exactly. this is a very poorly written article. Mentions H1-Bs in a couple of places, puts out H1B related stats, talks about illegal indians working in hi-tech companies (WTF); but the only stories are about people overstaying tourist visas.

Also, I dont understand how these tourist-visa overstaying illegals manage to get citizenship, while we legals stand in line for 6-10 years just to get the greencard!!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
immi_twinges is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up clinton policy

During Clinton presidency, he legalized many illegals.

Thats how he might have got GC.

Articles like this are very depressing.
I know couple of families who came on tourist visa and overstayed. They do not pay taxes and make big bucks and call us fools.
Well, every one deserves a good life.

They have brothers or sisters who are citizens and sponsor tourist visas...and the people who sponsor visas are never accountable.
If they have a system where they have to report to govt that...they are inviting family and after they leave if they submit some kind of documents , it will work

Since the sponsorors are accountable , not many people dare to invite people who would overstay or at least report if they overstayed.

I think visitors are easy to track if the immigration authorities are keen but H1b over stay , well i dont know how they could do that except for tracking their taxes and employment history by some organization...

just my idea...

Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_chahiye View Post
Also, I dont understand how these tourist-visa overstaying illegals manage to get citizenship, while we legals stand in line for 6-10 years just to get the greencard!!
They probably claimed asylum claiming persecution in India for Sikhs because of the rebellion in Punjab in the 1980s. Said rebellion of course financed by US, Canadian and British money via Pakistan.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future vamsi_poondla has a brilliant future

There are other non-immigrant visa categories too. There could be illegal immigrants. But they will be very very less in numbers. (if TCS etc brings in 30 K L1Bs/year into US, where will this illegal immigrants ratio be?)

Someone who doesnt understand anything about immigration issue wanted to write an article. Very steriotypic and that too quoting a singe lawyer.(who seemed to be specialized in this kind of trade).

Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

Here's a publication from Dept. of Homeland Security

Refer page 4 in http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2006.pdf

There are around 270,000 unauthorized immigrants from India as of 2006.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by akred View Post
They probably claimed asylum claiming persecution in India for Sikhs because of the rebellion in Punjab in the 1980s. Said rebellion of course financed by US, Canadian and British money via Pakistan.
Please don't make this sort of "political" statements on this forum. We respect your opinion but this is not the place.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandesi View Post
Here's a publication from Dept. of Homeland Security

Refer page 4 in http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2006.pdf

There are around 270,000 unauthorized immigrants from India as of 2006.

Could be - we are only looking at Doctors and tech workers who scramble and work hard to maintain their statuses and be competitive for jobs, but there could be people who came during the Y2K boom and then lost jobs and never wanted to go back so settled down by doing odd jobs.

I am in 8th year extension, have changed jobs, travelled to India every year (twice this year) went for stamping 5 times - everytime did finger prints, everytime, I had to show legal tax docs, pay stubs, letter from manager etc...

I know people who did h1b for their spouse through consulting company and the spouse later never went into that job and they never bothered to convert back to h4 visa. These could aslo add to the count.

When h1b gets benched for prolonged period of time and never wants to go for stamping or extension for fear of getting caught just settles for odd jobs