Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
achopra76 is on a distinguished road
Post Gap In H1, Physician

hi everyone,
i wondered if someone could help me find answer to the following questions.

I am a Physician and currently in Residency program which is for 3 years. my residency ends on 30th September 2008 and i have H1b status. I have been offered Fellowship in my desired specialty but it starts on 1st January 2009, therfore there is a gap of 3 months between the end of my current job and beginning of my next job.
so my questions are:
1. H1 petition which I will file for my fellowship starting 1st jan 2009 would be an extension of my current H1 or would I have to file a new H1?

2. suppose I find a job for 3 months gap period at the same institution where I have got my fellowship (keeping in mind that decription of this job would be a little different from what i will be starting from 1st jan 2009), would i have to file for 2 different H1B petitions (one for 3 month period starting 1st oct 2008 and the other for fellowship starting 1 st jan 2009).

3.also, I was thinking that if I file for H1 approval say in july 2008 for the fellowship starting 1st jan 2009 and get approval by mid september 2008. with the approved petition I go back to India and have a vacation for 3 months and come back to US in late december 2008 on H1B again for Fellowship beginning 1st jan 2009. In this case, what would be my status for the gap period of 3 months that I spent in India?
also, would I be issued a new SSN when i come back again. also, i have heard rumors that US embassy in Delhi can hassle you to get H1. How true is that?

Is there any other option someone can suggest?

Thanks for your patient in reading my message
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welcome to iv!

Hi,

For any new job you need a new H1B visa. You can hold more than 1 H1B visas at a time. Once you have been counted under the cap, you will not be counted for any new petitions/renewals. renewals have to be with the same employer.
This is my layman understanding
Please join the physicians chapter, there may be more info from people there. Click on the link in my signature and provide the requested info please.

Please consider joining the rally- there will even be a bus through the midwest.
Look forward to hearing from you!

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote