Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Relief Provisions in Iraq Spending Bill

Team IV:

A number of immigration provisions are being attached to the must pass Iraq Spending Bill. Is it possible to explore attaching the SKIL Bill or atleast one or two temporary relief measures (like I-485 filing)?

If it requires additional funds, I think members will contribute in no time. What do you say guys? Senators are helping out illegal and low skilled workers, isn't it time to give some relief to LEGAL, HIGH SKILLED workers?

===========

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_2663758

Washington - Senate Democrats and Republicans reached a deal Friday on how to handle immigration issues attached to a measure paying for U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The immigration measures spilled into the Senate's debate on an $80.6 billion military spending bill after the House included measures in its version to deny driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and make it harder for foreigners to stay in the U.S. on claims of asylum.

Under the deal, the Senate will vote Tuesday on three immigration measures. Each would require 60 votes to survive, including one sponsored by Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., that would give temporary visas to migrant crab pickers and oyster shuckers in time for Maryland's seafood season.

Another, by Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, would provide workers for the agricultural industry. It has support from growers and farmworker advocates, but it faces opposition for providing legal status to some workers.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., said he opposes using the military spending bill to address immigration, but he is proposing an alternative to Craig's measure. Co-sponsored by Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz, it doesn't include the legal residency provision.

"While reforms are needed to provide a legal way to meet our agricultural labor needs, we must also remove incentives for illegal immigration and put stricter provisions in place for seasonal workers coming across our borders,' Chambliss said.

The White House, Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., and other Republicans had pleaded with senators to keep immigration off the spending bill and address the issue later. Democrats refused, saying it was because Frist wouldn't commit to opposing the immigration provisions in the House version when negotiators try to blend the two.

Mikulski defended her measure to provide Maryland seafood processors and other businesses with more seasonal workers hired through the H2B temporary-visa program, saying "the cat was already out of the bag on immigration.' Businesses are limited to 66,000 H2B workers a year, and that ceiling was reached Jan. 3.

The House's Iraq spending bill includes the immigration measures that its Judiciary Committee chairman, Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., wanted in the intelligence reorganization bill President Bush signed in December. Sensenbrenner withdrew the provisions back then after House and Senate leaders promised he could attach them to the first major legislation likely to reach Bush's desk.

They are almost universally opposed by Senate Democrats but also by state motor-vehicle commissioners, some GOP senators and religious groups that say people fleeing persecution would be harmed.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I hope the powers-to-be realize there is little floor time left before November and consider attaching relief to existing legislative vehicles...

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/expo...606/news1.html

As the number of legislative days before the November election slip away, GOP lawmakers in competitive seats are trying to make their legislative mark.

The schedule is even tighter for the many members seeking consideration of their bills on the floor before members leave for the August recess. Boehner himself expressed frustration yesterday about members who have pleaded with him to bring their bills to the floor this week.

“Everybody wants their bill up this week,” the majority leader said during his weekly off-camera press briefing yesterday. “It is as if we were never coming back. There are only so many hours in a day and only a few days in this week to consider all of these.”

Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Good Idea

very good idea! We should fight..

This time they can not say they can not say unrelated immigration issue should not be attached to a spending bill.

If this claim is made again by immigration restrictionists, then the "more visas for crab pickers" deal should also go

Old 07-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stucklabor is on a distinguished road
Default Denver Post story is off by a year

See original A.P. story below.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press
All Rights Reserved

The Associated Press

April 15, 2005, Friday, BC cycle

SECTION: Washington Dateline

LENGTH: 550 words

HEADLINE: Senate agrees to votes on immigration measures

BYLINE: By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer

DATELINE: WASHINGTON

BODY:
Senate Republicans and Democrats worked out a deal Friday on how to handle immigration issues attached to a measure paying for U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The immigration measures spilled into the Senate's debate over an $80.6 billion military spending bill after the House included measures in its version to deny driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and make it harder for foreigners to stay in the United States on claims of asylum.

Under the deal, the Senate will vote Tuesday on three immigration measures. Each would require 60 votes to survive, including one sponsored by Democrat Sen. Barbara Mikulski that would give temporary visas to migrant crab pickers and oyster shuckers in time for Maryland's seafood season.

Another by Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, would provide workers for the agricultural industry. It has support from growers and farm worker advocates, but it faces opposition for providing legal status to some workers.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., said he opposes using the military spending bill to address immigration, but he is proposing an alternative to Craig's measure. Co-sponsored by Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz, it doesn't include the legal residency provision.

"While reforms are needed to provide a legal way to meet our agricultural labor needs, we must also remove incentives for illegal immigration and put stricter provisions in place for seasonal workers coming across our borders," Chambliss said.

Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., the White House and other Republicans had pleaded with senators to keep immigration off the spending bill and address them later in comprehensive immigration legislation.

Democrats refused, saying it was because Frist wouldn't commit to opposing the immigration provisions in the House version when negotiators try to blend the two.

"The only reason we have these Democrat and Republican amendments dealing with immigration is because it was placed in the bill by the Republicans," said Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada. He said the immigration bills being offered are a "tiny speck" of the immigration problems the country faces.

Mikulski defended her measure to provide Maryland seafood processors and other businesses with more seasonal workers hired through the H2B visa program, saying "the cat was already out of the bag on immigration." Businesses are limited to 66,000 H2B workers a year, and that ceiling was reached Jan. 3.

"Republican leadership has been stalling on this bill by not allowing votes on amendments like mine. I have brought people to the table to vote on this because Maryland's small businesses need help now," Mikulski said.

The House's Iraq spending bill includes the immigration measures its Judiciary Committee chairman, Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., wanted in the intelligence reorganization bill President Bush signed in December. He withdrew the provisions back then after House and Senate leaders promised he could attach them to the first major legislation likely to make it to Bush's desk.

They are almost universally opposed by Senate Democrats but also by state motor vehicle commissioners, some GOP senators and religious groups who say people fleeing persecution would be harmed.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Guess I've lot track of time now too

anyway its going to be important to keep an eye on bills like these given that CIR is not going anywhere, and SKIL is not looking too good either. the 20,000advanced degree H1B exemption was introduced in the 2004-05 Omnibus Appropriations bill. maybe we can get a few simple administrative provisions like 485 filing in some bill.

I mean last year they got the real ID provisions in the iraq spending bill. this is not anywhere as controversial as that, but we we need the will to get this through. maybe we can have a fundraising effort for just this purpose...i'm sure lots of folks would join in..

I know you guys are doing your best under the present circumstances...

Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EADchallenged is on a distinguished road
Default Is anyone pursuing getting some relief in this bill?

CIR is akin to churning the ocean and in an election year highly unlikely. Our best opportunity this year would be to get some retrogression relief in this bill. Filing for 485 gets some extra dollars for the ICE and at the same time does not add a single extra immigrant. Is this being pursued seriously?