Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06-20-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06-27-2007
Compare
cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough
Default What is the investment amount for EB5

I recently came to know that EB5 catagory needs an investment of about 1,000,000 in US. is this correct?
Can someone please confirm this, and post more info.
I am opening a new Dunkin Donuts store, and investment is around $1,000,000. It will hire around 12 US employees. It is not all out of my pocket of course. But my cousin(my partner) who made the most of investment, is willing to show it on my name if that benefits my cause.
any info on this is appreciated.
thanks...
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Check with an attorney. The GC is conditional for the first two years and you need to prove that you are still in business after two years (tax returns, number of employees etc ...). Then GC will be issued unconditionally.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TheOmbudsman is infamous around these parts

Go to shusterman.com and read info there on EB investor category. He said you need much less than this.

By the way, if you need a part-time employee there let me know ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcactus
I recently came to know that EB5 catagory needs an investment of about 1,000,000 in US. is this correct?
Can someone please confirm this, and post more info.
I am opening a new Dunkin Donuts store, and investment is around $1,000,000. It will hire around 12 US employees. It is not all out of my pocket of course. But my cousin(my partner) who made the most of investment, is willing to show it on my name if that benefits my cause.
any info on this is appreciated.
thanks...

Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
masti_Gai is on a distinguished road
Default yep yep yep

sounds like a stable job
if u can sponsor my job and promise me that u will neva eva lay me off i can work for ur dunkin donuts for 8 yrs till i get ma GC

Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06-20-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06-27-2007
Compare
cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough cagedcactus is a jewel in the rough

thanks for all the input. It says on shusterman that it does need 1,000,000 investment if the it is not done in an area which is facing 150 percent of the unemployment rate.
I am planning to do it in Florida. Which probably wouldnt qualify in unemployment rate catagory.
I will consult a lawyer too.
thanks again........

Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/18/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
andy_traps is on a distinguished road

Cagedcactus,

To qualify for EB5 visa you'll have to:

1. Invest $1,000,000 and hire 10 US citizens or permanent residents anywhere in USA.

OR

2. Invest $500,000 and hire 10 US citizens or permanent residents in an area where the unemployment rate exceeds the national average unemployment rate by 150%.

OR

3. Invest in a Regional Center (5000 EB5 visas are available annually for those who invest in INS-designated Regional Centers).

Regarding the investment:

1. You must show documented evidence of the source of capital.
2. If you are accepting the capital from a cousin then it can't be accepted as a gift -- it must shown as a loan (which means that you'll have to pay him/her interest).
3. Your capital must be "at risk" without guarantees or redemption rights. This is very important and you must fully understand what "at risk" investment means before going down this route.

Finally, if you choose to go this route then make sure you:

1. Select a lawyer who specializes in this area. There used to be a Yahoo! groups forum related to EB5 visas last year. I don't know if it is still active.

2. Make sure you read about the EB5 case denials -- they are available online. There is considerable risk involved in qualifying under EB5 visa. Remember that the visa/GC is "conditionally" granted for 2 years. At the end of 2 years the conditional visa/GC can be converted into permanent residency. The EB5 denial cases will tell you under what circumstances USCIS did not allow the conversion into permanent residency.

Good Luck
Andy