Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Team IV - name recognition and fundraising

Are there any runners, joggers, walkers out there? Has anyone heard of running teams like Team Leukemia, Team AIDS, Race for the Cure - Team Susan G Komen??

Well, I would like to propose a Team IV. There would be a nominal fee, say $50 or $75, to join the walking/running club and you would get one running T shirt (with IV logo) to wear at local runs/walks. This way we get our name out in the community. And just like Team Leukemia, each Team IV member will conduct 1 fundraising event per quarter or per 6 months. At the end of the fundraising year, we should donate a portion of our collections to a local or national charity. The donation will come from Immigration Voice. This way, Immigration Voice members have another reason to be proud of what we bring to the plate as employment based legal immigrants.

If there is such a running/walking team out there, please let me know as I would love to join and support the cause. If there is interest to establish such a Team, please let me know.
I-140 approved Sept.'06, I-485 filed July '07
In the U.S. since 1994
Member Texas State Chapter
Funds Raised for Team IV Walking/Running Club - $2,997.00
Contributions to IV thusfar - $400.00

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Idea

it is a great idea. It takes a lot of work to organize an event like this. We will get a lot of publicity and it will be a good fund raising event as well. Would you be willing to take a lead on organizing an event for us?

I wore a IV T-Shirt and a cap when I participated in the Long Beach Half Marathon in October. A few of us in So.Cal chapter thought we will participate in a turkey Trot run with IV T shirts and caps last thanksgiving but that did not happen. I am going to register for Long Beach Half marathon this year as well and I plan on using my IV T-shirt

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Team IV - Run/Walk Team

I would love to take the lead with this project. I have done a fund raising initiative for Arthritis Foundation of America when I ran the Mardi Gras Marathon in honor of my mom. I raised $1,100 in a 6 month period for the AFA. The idea I have is that Team IV members will participate at their local events and we should pick 3 national events such as the Chicago Marathon/Half Marathon, the Breakers 10K (is that San Diego?) and even the Crescent City Classic 10K right here in my hometown. Team IV should be well represented at these 3 national events.

Team IV members can set up an e-mail support group when training for any events. There are numerous on-line training guides which we can use. And I can also look into the idea of an on-line training coach.

I already have the committment from 4 friends, all of whom are US Citizens, to join this Team because they support our cause.
In the U.S. since 1994

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of H4_losing_hope has much to be proud of
Default Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaIndian32 View Post
I would love to take the lead with this project. I have done a fund raising initiative for Arthritis Foundation of America when I ran the Mardi Gras Marathon in honor of my mom. I raised $1,100 in a 6 month period for the AFA. The idea I have is that Team IV members will participate at their local events and we should pick 3 national events such as the Chicago Marathon/Half Marathon, the Breakers 10K (is that San Diego?) and even the Crescent City Classic 10K right here in my hometown. Team IV should be well represented at these 3 national events.

Team IV members can set up an e-mail support group when training for any events. There are numerous on-line training guides which we can use. And I can also look into the idea of an on-line training coach.

I already have the committment from 4 friends, all of whom are US Citizens, to join this Team because they support our cause.
This is great NolanIndian and I wish you guys all the best!!! Unfortunately I am going to have to watch from the sidelines so to speak as I have ongoing bursitus from marathon antics in 2006--Go IV and watch out for those joints and tendons
Approved, card production ordered
$50 contribution so far
letter campaign w/ over $375 in postage, paper, envelopes and printer ink!
Sent letter to Nancy Pelosi

Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great idea!

I am sure there are some hikers, walkers, joggers and runners amongst the IV membership or people you might know otherwise. This would be a great opportunity to take brand IV in a new direction.

I will sign-up too, need to loose some weight

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

While I do not want to sound discouraging or pessimistic, this is a very good idea and we must do things like this.

Now, it is just not enough if we make this suggestion and discuss it - we must walk the talk. Will we?

To start with, we can do a lot of stuff, get our co workers, families, friends etc.. involved, print flyers, send emails, post blogs, make videos and post them on youtube, hold local community events and increase awareness.

Our own community is still very ignorant and is indirectly working against us, lok at this post on immigration portal

http://boards.immigration.com/showpo...4&postcount=18

just go through the entire thread
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=273615

you will understand why things are so difficult for our community.

Our first step will be to concentrate on community building. This is very important. We need to reqruit more volunteers, and they in turn reqruit more volunteers. We must first build a strong community and have a strong foundation.

The reason I am posting this message is to say that whatever novel ideas like the above that have come up in the past have not gone towards getting implemented they just were discusssed and got buried into old threads.

So my question is "can we walk the talk?"

Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breakers 10K in SanDiego??

I do not know of the SanDiego breakers 10k. I will look it up in runners world. 10K's should be lot of fun. I will support you if you take the lead with this. I can get my workout buddies and my family to participate in these events with me. I was thinking of signing up for the SanDiego rock and roll half marathon in summer but it would be brutal to run 13.1 miles in SanDiego in May. I am going to be signing up for the Nike Women Half Marathon in SanFrancisco this year as well. Count me in to support with this event, getting people to participate, fundraising etc. Some of my friends are certified fitness trainers and they teach in fitness clubs around OC. We could use their help for sure.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Default NolaIndian 32 was willing to take the lead

Am I not reading his post right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
While I do not want to sound discouraging or pessimistic, this is a very good idea and we must do things like this.

Now, it is just not enough if we make this suggestion and discuss it - we must walk the talk. Will we?

To start with, we can do a lot of stuff, get our co workers, families, friends etc.. involved, print flyers, send emails, post blogs, make videos and post them on youtube, hold local community events and increase awareness.

Our own community is still very ignorant and is indirectly working against us, lok at this post on immigration portal

http://boards.immigration.com/showpo...4&postcount=18

just go through the entire thread
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=273615

you will understand why things are so difficult for our community.

Our first step will be to concentrate on community building. This is very important. We need to reqruit more volunteers, and they in turn reqruit more volunteers. We must first build a strong community and have a strong foundation.

The reason I am posting this message is to say that whatever novel ideas like the above that have come up in the past have not gone towards getting implemented they just were discusssed and got buried into old threads.

So my question is "can we walk the talk?"

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by santb1975 View Post
Am I not reading his post right??
Sure - great - lets get this to work

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Default We should pick 3 events

One in the East Coast, One in the west coast and one in between.

For the West coast I would pick the SanFrancisco Marathon (Just to be sure that gsc999 participates ) on August 03'rd. The participants of this event can choose either a 5k, half marathon or a full marathon. This event should be fun to be part of. We have lot of committed members in our No.Cal chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaIndian32 View Post

Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Thumbs up I can play the compliance lead

While NolaIndian plays the PM. This could be "The IV Fundraising Event" of 2008. It should be lot of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Sure - great - lets get this to work

Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice
Thumbs up Great idea!

Yes - this is a great idea. We will raise some funds and have a lot of fun doing it. Everyone, please chime in with your suggestions on how we can implement this.

"The only person who can truly persuade you is yourself. You must turn the issues over in your mind at leisure, consider the many arguments, let them simmer, and after a long time turn your preferences into convictions." - Milton Friedman

Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Smile Call for Team IV organizers

Thanks to all for your support. The first step I would like to propose is that we need to establish a group called Team IV Coordinators. Those who are interested in being part of this group, please send me a private message with your e-mail address so that I can set up a group e-mail to present and discuss the ideas to get us started. The Coordinator Group should be Team IV members whether you run/walk or not. I will take the lead but of course, I would love to have a core group to bounce ideas off of and to have as a resource pool.

I agree with picking 3 national events as previously suggested, one on east coast, one west coast and one centrally located.

Please send me Private Messages with your e-mail or contact info so that we can get the Coordinator Group up and running to set out the parameters of Team IV.

Thanks!!
In the U.S. since 1994

Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Default Senior Member, please help

I would like to request that at least 1 or 2 Senior Members be part of the Coorinator Group so that I can run ideas by you to get this started. Any takers?

I am running the Mardi Gras Half Marathon in 2 weeks time, and will be wearing my IV T Shirt (Legal Immigrants Rock). I would love to hear from everyone who supports this initiative.
In the U.S. since 1994

Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Default I can help you with this

This would be a great activity to focus on after the Letter Campaign. We can ask some senior members for Ideas/ help as well